note to self: give horn bath more often than once per year.

• Members

You know about never cleaning a lacquered horn in hot water, right? Bad things happen. Barely warm water is fine.

I bought my Kanstul copper bell trumpet for 1/2 price because the previous owner cleaned it in hot water and ruined the lacquer. It ended up with a permanent "fog" on more that half of the finish. Otherwise, it was a brand new horn.

• Members

You know about never cleaning a lacquered horn in hot water, right? Bad things happen. Barely warm water is fine.

I bought my Kanstul copper bell trumpet for 1/2 price because the previous owner cleaned it in hot water and ruined the lacquer. It ended up with a permanent "fog" on more that half of the finish. Otherwise, it was a brand new horn.

yeah i know. the water i was using was more on the cold side.:thu:

• Members

I once pulled the tuning slide off my Bb and blew. A huge chunk of ooze landed all over my bell. I cleaned the horn that night.

Needless to say, it played MUCH better.

I recall bottles of Dawn at both Schilke and Kanstul. I use Joy and still get nice results.

My C trumpet needs a major cleaning though. It has some deposits in the leadpipe and bell bow that will require more than soap and a brush.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

cleaning is amazing for the instrument.

my friend doesn't believe me, because according to him a website says it damages the horn. Any one know this website to warn people about?

and does anyone have advice to persuade him?

• Members

cleaning is amazing for the instrument.

my friend doesn't believe me, because according to him a website says it damages the horn. Any one know this website to warn people about?

and does anyone have advice to persuade him?

Yeah, thats Zachary Music. Its bull. Most of the site is full of stupid crap along with nice instruments, though anymore the price is too much considering the crap on there. Tell your friend not to listen to the Zachary site and just run a snake through his horn once.

http://www.zacharymusic.com/Zachary_Music/TRcarePics.htm

• Members

I've seen the website, though I don't remember the url. I don't think they meant to never clean the inside of the horn! I think they were referring to the laquered-horn issue mentioned above.

I need to find a better cleaning concept than what I have. The flexible cleaner ain't quite flexible enough to make the final turn in the pocket trumpet.

• Members

I need to find a better cleaning concept than what I have. The flexible cleaner ain't quite flexible enough to make the final turn in the pocket trumpet.

Have you considered using Herco Spitballs? http://www.hickeys.com/pages/trclean.htm (scroll down to letter "H").

BTW, Hickey's is GREAT.

Then again, when a pocket trumpet fills up with crud, it's probably time to throw it away.

• Members

Yeah, I know a couple people that didn't clean their instruments for a while. After they cleaned it, it played almost like new and sounded a whole lot better. I personally play a woodwind;)

• Members

Yeah, I know a couple people that didn't clean their instruments for a while. After they cleaned it, it played almost like new and sounded a whole lot better. I personally play a woodwind;)

Woodwinds need cleaning too. Inside somewhat, but majorly around the pads and holes.

Archived