Interestingly opposite question for the bone players...

• Members

So my Firebird has a slide lock, just like your bones. Problem is, it's real loose, and when I unlock it, it twirls around and frequently ends up with the "lock" part down so that when I slide up to first position I smack right into it and can't get fully up to pitch. Anything I can do to make the slide lock stick wherever I turn it to? I'm thinking some sort of real viscous grease, yeah?

:confused:

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • Members

I don't know if this would work, but what about unscrewing it all the way and putting down a single layer of the white plastic plumbers tape, sorry don't know the real name. the stuff they use to help seal a thread without leaks. In my mind this should work and it won't leak grease or wax all over everything.

Again, I don't know how well or if this will work, it's just the thing that popped into my mind.

• Members

I don't know if this would work, but what about unscrewing it all the way and putting down a single layer of the white plastic plumbers tape, sorry don't know the real name. the stuff they use to help seal a thread without leaks. In my mind this should work and it won't leak grease or wax all over everything.

Again, I don't know how well or if this will work, it's just the thing that popped into my mind.

Exactly what another friend of mine suggested. I think I'll try that, but I'm a little scared that since I lock and unlock the slide quite a bit that the tape would get worn and messy and such. but certainly worth a try :thu:

• Members

on the slide lock if it is really loose you should be able to just tighten it. mine used to fall with the slide and then i just turned it a few more turns and it stayed firm.

turn it the opposite direction that you turn it to lock it. the moving part is threaded so it will eventually catch unless it is stripped in that case you may have to call holton for the part. :/

• Members

Exactly what another friend of mine suggested. I think I'll try that, but I'm a little scared that since I lock and unlock the slide quite a bit that the tape would get worn and messy and such. but certainly worth a try
:thu:

nah i use the plumbers teflon tape on the threads of my lead pipe it will work :thu:

• Members

Teflon tape, that's the stuff I was thinking of:thu:. I've used it on outdoor faucets that get connected and dis-connected on a regular basis without getting messing or causing problems. It's tape, but it's not really sticky and if it becomes neccesary to replace it, it just peels right off with not residue left behind.

• Members

Teflon tape, that's the stuff I was thinking of:thu:. I've used it on outdoor faucets that get connected and dis-connected on a regular basis without getting messing or causing problems. It's tape, but it's not really sticky and if it becomes neccesary to replace it, it just peels right off with not residue left behind.

there is no adhesive on the tape its purpose in plumbing is as a sealant and lubricant for pipes that are not to be permanently bonded together. :thu: so a trombone lead pipe is practically its intended use :lol:

• Members

on the slide lock if it is really loose you should be able to just tighten it. mine used to fall with the slide and then i just turned it a few more turns and it stayed firm.

turn it the opposite direction that you turn it to lock it. the moving part is threaded so it will eventually catch unless it is stripped in that case you may have to call holton for the part. :/

Nah, you're not quite catching my drift ... but your second post is more the answer I was looking for, thanks :thu:

Archived