How much do old Bach trumpets go for?

• Members

Or, is this auction for real?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bach-Stradivarius-Strad-Trumpet-model37-Like-New_W0QQitemZ140085666811QQihZ004QQ

$1250 for a horn that I bought for $900 new (I think) in 1980? Mine is a lot more banged up than that one, but in searching ebay completed listings, I'm kinda having trouble finding Bach 37's for less than $600 ... and here I was thinking that mine was worth like $300 tops. Or are all the auctions for new horns and my tarnished old POS won't get much attention? :confused:

Holland has been totally fucking rainy every single day since I got here. Good thing weed & rainy days go together :)

• Members

I've always known that Mt Vernon Bachs are the ""holy grail" Bachs. Just kinda surprised that my old beater horn is worth a pretty ducat.

When I get back home, I'll post pics and have you guys appraise it based on the condition :)

First sunny day in Holland since I got here. Tonight we go to Brussels :thu:

• Members

BTW, maybe 4 years ago, I paid $550 for my daughter's silver Bach 37 from a private seller's newspaper classified ad. Plays great, plating is probably 99% with light surface scratches and no dings. The seller put it in a brand new Bach Strad case and threw in straight, cup, and Harmon mutes at no added charge. I should check the build date from the serial #.

• Members

Is that the trumpet that was used on The Beatles' Penny Lane?
:confused:

Nope. The trumpet used on "Penny Lane" was a piccolo trumpet, probably a Selmer. It is pitched an octave higher than the Bach Strad Bb trumpet.

Piccolo from recording:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/55/132644580_7d4cc52a09.jpg?v=0

Bach Stradivarius Bb:

http://horntrader.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/VB72*43LB147029.jpg

There is a Bach Stradivarius piccolo trumpet, but until recently most trumpeters shied away from Bach piccs and used other brands instead.

• Members

I thought piccs had 4 valves
:confused:

Since Schilke came out with the P5-4, most do to help facilitate a lower register. But the Schilke didn't come out until several years after "Penny Lane." Selmer had some 4-valve piccs, I think. Anyway, there are still 3-valve models like Schilke's own P7 which are designed for Baroque music, where the trumpet never actually plays low and so a 4th valve just gets in the way.

• Members

I've heard their sprouts are great.

As it turns out, Brussels is no fun when your sister is deathly ill, her husband is being a total prick, and their poor 5-month-old baby is caught in the middle. Along with me. Who'd'a thought? :confused:

The one thing (yes ONE thing) we saw in 2 days there was the museum of musical instruments. And we only saw like 2/3 of it before husband and wife got into a shouting match. But that 2/3 was TOTALLY worth the whole trip. When I get back to the States I'll write up a whole blog on it, complete with pictures (I took so many pictures of the brass instruments that the camera ran out of batteries!)

For now, this'll have to do: http://www.mim.fgov.be

• 9 years later...
  • Members

I have the same question about my trumpet regarding value. It is a silver plated Bach Stradivarius Model 37 made in Elkhart, IN which was purchased around 1980. I've called several shops in Nashville looking for an appraiser but none of them offer that service. I would be glad to sell on Ebay or the like but I am having trouble determining a value. It has a few dings and some of the silver plating is tarnished beyond redemption. The middle value slide is also stuck. Any advise on the value or the best way to determine value is appreciated.

a0bac5094ed4045a0fc8c01549f27827.JPG.479bd1adc83a0bd2a8632fccb97b0154.JPG

cb935031164686e7b03d38b0ee82a520.JPG.8f6ccabe891542d70affd02a6188942a.JPG

• 1 year later...

Archived