Has anyone bought a Kentucky KM-140 mandolin lately?

erok123

• Members

Does it have a carved top? I can't seem to find a definite answer. I'm on the verge of ordering one' date=' but if it does not have a carved top, I'm going to order "The Loar" LM170 instead.[/size']

The Kentucky has a solid top, however it is not a carved solid top.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-traditional-instruments/kentucky-km-140-standard-a-model-mandolin

The Loar has a hand carved solid top. Loar actually make ok instruments.

I played and A style Flat Iron for decades and then stepped up to a Gibson.

If I was to choose between a A style and the F style, I would definitely go with the F style. They are a bit warmer.

So in the 300 bucks range this is my pick.

[video=youtube;KEueR0J_1J4]

If you ever want to amplify it K&K or L R Baggs M Radius which is a nice stick on pick up. Plus you want a pre amp, before it hits the board or amplifier.

Hope this helps a bit.

• Members

The Loar came in today. Happy NMD to me! Honestly, I was surprised in a positive way. It's very nice for a $250 instrument. I got 10% off that, since Elderly is kindly offering a discount for new customers. The only flaws I can see are under the part of the neck that hangs over the bridge, but I guess that's to be expected for an instrument in this price range. Still, that's a point or two off. The satin finish is attractive, and the fret work is very good, if not excellent. I'll post pictures and a clip at some point.

One of the main reasons I picked The Loar over the Kentucky was that it has a lifetime warranty, where the Kentucky only has a year warranty. I like a manufacturer that stands behind it's products. Notice I didn't say "maker". Heh.

It's got fairly heavy strings compared to my Rogue, not sure if I'm crazy about those. I'll play them for a bit, though. I have a pack of Ernie Ball light strings I will install when I get up a bit of moto. Now to start saving up for my next MAS attack. And thanks for your opinions.

I will dutifully post a review in the HC review section after I've played it for a few days.

• Members
The Loar came in today. Happy NMD to me! Honestly, I was surprised in a positive way. It's very nice for a $250 instrument. I got 10% off that, since Elderly is kindly offering a discount for new customers. The only flaws I can see are under the part of the neck that hangs over the bridge, but I guess that's to be expected for an instrument in this price range. Still, that's a point or two off. The satin finish is attractive, and the fret work is very good, if not excellent. I'll post pictures and a clip at some point.

One of the main reasons I picked The Loar over the Kentucky was that it has a lifetime warranty, where the Kentucky only has a year warranty. I like a manufacturer that stands behind it's products. Notice I didn't say "maker". Heh.

It's got fairly heavy strings compared to my Rogue, not sure if I'm crazy about those. I'll play them for a bit, though. I have a pack of Ernie Ball light strings I will install when I get up a bit of moto. Now to start saving up for my next MAS attack. And thanks for your opinions.

I will dutifully post a review in the HC review section after I've played it for a few days.

:wave:

Archived