Want to help me choose a mandolin?

Delmont

• Members

Weber makes a very nice mandolin, I have a buddy that plays a F style Bitterroot. The finish on the Weber is very thin and wear easily. My buddy's F style Weber doesn't have the boxy Gibson bite to it. In 2015 I bought a Gibson F5G and right now it's in the hands of Mr David Harvey at the Gibson Custom shop. A whole nother story, I will tell you about later.

Tell me about the fretboard width? Never mind. Weber fret board are a little wider than the traditional Gibson ones,and it looks like the Redlines are too.

The Redlne stuff I have not played, but it looks rather nice.

As far as picks up go there a few roads you can go down.

K&K makes a nice pick up, but you'll want the pre amp to go along with it.

Since I didn't want to mod my Gibson F5G in any way, I went with the LR Baggs M Radius, and there Venue DI pre amp. I am super happy with the purchase. It's not inexpensive system, but completely removable.

Depending on the venue, sometimes I just go with a mic.

I played at a bluegrass fest last year and got to watch Sierra Hull, and she was not using the M Radius on her mandolins.

Weber has a solid reputation, but the Redline is made in or around Nashville, and if any one should know how to make a good mandolin, it should be the folks in Nashville. An A model has more mids, than a F style one, but both would have equal volume. My othr mandolin is a A model Flatrion that I played for 25 years, before buying the Gibson.

Tough call.

I love the back on the Weber. Pick up already installed , bone nut. All nice. So I'm sayin get the Weber.

So what are other saying?

• Members
. . . I love the back on the Weber. Pick up already installed , bone nut. All nice. So I'm sayin get the Weber.

So what are other saying?

I like your comments on Webers. Thanks!

Just made an offer on the Redline. I agree about the Nashville effect. He hasn't gotten back to me. Stay tuned!

• Members

I like your comments on Webers. Thanks!

Just made an offer on the Redline. I agree about the Nashville effect. He hasn't gotten back to me. Stay tuned!

There go, hopefully you'll hear back soon.

Did the mandolin cafe folks choose the Redline?

• Members

There go, hopefully you'll hear back soon.

Did the mandolin cafe folks choose the Redline?

They gave high marks to both the Weber and Redline. As a brand, Redline is apparently slightly more consistent in quality, but I mainly went that way because it's a smaller shop and it's Tennessee. (You can't be second-rate in Tennessee.) If the Redline falls, through, I expect I'll grab the Weber while the grabbing's good.

The guy's supposed to call me soon. I'll let you know what happens.

• Members

They gave high marks to both the Weber and Redline. As a brand, Redline is apparently slightly more consistent in quality, but I mainly went that way because it's a smaller shop and it's Tennessee. (You can't be second-rate in Tennessee.) If the Redline falls, through, I expect I'll grab the Weber while the grabbing's good.

The guy's supposed to call me soon. I'll let you know what happens.

A very good call.

Either way, it's a win win. Weber's are nice too.

I live in a very low population area, so there are hardly any music shops that sell any of quality, so there was no chance of me finding a decent mandolin around.

I have a old Flatiron A model that I was playing for decades. When I was looking for an F model, I did some looking on line, as that was my only choice. Weber, Collins, Gibson and a few others

I ended up with the Gibson F5G. Now I don't play the Flatiron much any more.

I think Redline, are the folks that do "The Loars" too, which is one of the nicer imports.

Hope it comes through for ya.

You'll want a nice strap for that one too. I have a Lakota strap on my Gibson. The one my Flatiron is a strap that was made by Rory Blocks dad Allen Block. He used to own a leather shop at one time, which I hear was in NJ.

He signed it, but I'm not sure if I can read his name on it anymore.

Play some good music on it, and enjoy in good health.

[video=youtube;ES8tUHUgjLQ]

• Members
Mission accomplished! Just bought this: https://reverb.com/item/1595967-redline-a-2014-spruce-top

That should keep me in trouble for the duration.

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice and suggestions. Couldn't have done it without you!

Now excuse me while I learn how to work the dern thing . . . .

:wave:

I really dig the headstock too.

enjoy

Mission accomplished! Just bought this: https://reverb.com/item/1595967-redline-a-2014-spruce-top

That should keep me in trouble for the duration.

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice and suggestions. Couldn't have done it without you!

Now excuse me while I learn how to work the dern thing . . . .

Very nice Delmont - congratulations! :philthumb:

• 4 months later...
  • Members

UPDATE:

Who knew that mandolins were so finicky?!

Got the Red Line. Looked great. BUT:

- Gravely uneven tone across the strings.

- Extreme numbness and tingling in my left fingers, hand, and arm every time I tried to play it.

After reading a lot at various forums I:

- Experimented with picks. With guitar, it's just a matter of thin, medium, or thick, right? But mando players pay $40 or $60 for picks! And they all sound different. Now I'm playing with several picks - different ones for different tones - and have learned to angle the pick for the high strings and hold it flat for the low strings. That helps even out the tone.

- Got different strings. Turns out some are more balanced than others - much more so than with guitar strings.

- Got a pro setup. I'd never had symptoms like those playing guitar - and I was skeptical about whether a setup would cure them. But it did. Apparently mando nuts need a lot of fine tuning, and some fret and fretboard work was required, too - all to the tune of about $50.

Now it plays and sounds great. Bottom line: Whew!

• Members
UPDATE:

Who knew that mandolins were so finicky?!

Got the Red Line. Looked great. BUT:

- Gravely uneven tone across the strings.

- Extreme numbness and tingling in my left fingers, hand, and arm every time I tried to play it.

After reading a lot at various forums I:

- Experimented with picks. With guitar, it's just a matter of thin, medium, or thick, right? But mando players pay $40 or $60 for picks! And they all sound different. Now I'm playing with several picks - different ones for different tones - and have learned to angle the pick for the high strings and hold it flat for the low strings. That helps even out the tone.

- Got different strings. Turns out some are more balanced than others - much more so than with guitar strings.

- Got a pro setup. I'd never had symptoms like those playing guitar - and I was skeptical about whether a setup would cure them. But it did. Apparently mando nuts need a lot of fine tuning, and some fret and fretboard work was required, too - all to the tune of about $50.

Now it plays and sounds great. Bottom line: Whew!

Finicky is right. The scale is small on a mandolin, but give it time and rest you paws when you need too.

I just got me a Blue Chip pick.

35 bucks for the TD40. I have been a Fender 351 med pick player for guitar for 40 years, but the 351 heavy's seemed to deliver more what I wanted on the mandolin.

I wanted to try a Blue Chip, but I'm planning in ordering so more of them. This time I might have my name engraved on them.

David Harvey at the Gibson Custom shop set up my Gibson F5G, I'm not sure who set up my Flatiron A model from Bozeman MT, but the person who did it, did a great job.

Folks look at mandolins and ukuleles and see these small instruments, but there's so much more to them than meets the eye.

If you ever need to amplify you mandolin I am using the LR Bagg M Radius and there Venue DI on my mandolins and like the system.

K&K makes a good one too, but you need to ream out the end pin jack.

Peace and enjoy.

• Members

Engraved names are a big help in any custody dispute!

Just got a used BBE Acoustimax preamp for all my acoustic gear. Good price, good gadget. I'll stick with it.

Thanks for the tips on pickups. Right now I'm using a $30 Dean Markley stick-on pickup, which is turning out to be fine for my purposes so far. Haven't used it enough to have a strong opinion. I've read about the Bagg M Radius. Might be a nice upgrade someday.

Thanks!

Archived