Any suggestions for a decent squareneck reso...

• Members

without spending $1k? Just getting into it, but loving the roundneck I currently have (inexpensive Republic)

500 to 600 is about all I want to spend right now, so I am guessing it will most likely be an import. :idk:

Is there a big difference in quality between the imports and the US made resos?

Thanks!

• Members

I was recently at a local shop and tried the Gretsch Bobtail. I have a Dobro 33H that I bought 25 years ago new. The Dobro cost me over a grand back then, I also have a Dobro F60 that I got maybe 10 years ago, may longer. Both are round necks.

The Bobtails were thin and had not much projection. I quickly tried the 2 they had hanging.

Another lil story. Last year I was looking for a mandolin with a pick up, or some way to amplify my Flatiron A model Performer. A purchase from 25 plus years ago. I ended up buying a Epiphone MM50, the thing sucked and not only lacked tone quality, but I didn't think the pick up was all that nice either. Plus I bought a hardshell case to go with it.

I sent it back and then said to myself, why not just do it right the first time. I ended up getting a Gibson FG5 mandolin, and then added a Baggs M Radius pick up plus there Venue pre amp. The thing sounds amazing. the pick up system is amazing, and it should. My search for anything better ever and then wondering why I did some years later is over. The Gibson mandolin went up about 1500 bucks in the past year. Zippo regrets. It's my most expensive instrument ever.

I have tried some of the import resonators and they fall short of having a nice tone and the projection. I'm not a tradition bluegrass guy, but I do attend some bluegrass festivals here and there. Gibson is pretty much out of the dobro biz.

If you can really take your time and see what you can find used.

Goldtone assembles there stuff from imported parts in the USA. I haven't seen the Goldtone square necks around to often.

Before Epiphone took over the Hound dog resonators, Gibson was putting out them. I believe the Gibson ones were made in the USA. Since Epiphone started doing the Hound Dog its not that nice of a resonator.

For about a grand I bet you could get a very nice used Gibson square neck resonator. Reverb has 2, but you might want to hit the net and look in shops in TN and KY, where blue grass is king. I picked up my Gibson F60 round neck for a shop in TN for 700 bucks. Seems nobody in TN what a round neck wood body. The thing sings like a bird.

Personally, as far as acoustic instruments go, the Chinese should stay away from wood.

If you want to practice sqaure neck lap style, take the Republic dobro to a luthier and have it set up with the correct bridge and nut. I believe it can be done. Save your pennies and do it right.

Unfortunately the economy and folks pay check have taken a big dive over the past 20-25 years, and it shows with all the sub standard imported gear that comes in to the country.

I hope this helps. Remember blues grass players tend to be more careful and lighter on gear than kids in a punk rock band. So there instruments are usually we taken care of and maintained.

Happy shop, but take your time.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members
No mater what you find for the lower price stuff, you'll want to chance the cone, and maybe a do a new bone nut and ebony saddle.

Eldery music is a good place to shop.

http://www.elderly.com/instruments/acoustic-guitars/resonator-hawaiian-guitars

Thom posted in April and then got banned. (What do you have to do to get BANNED?!)

Anyhow, it's true, those would be very cool upgrades, but I'll bet the Gold Tone would do it right out of the box. It's really head, shoulders, beehive, and Easter bonnet above the other under-$1k squarenecks. Beard has it figured out for every level.

Yup, Elderly is a trustworthy place to shop online. And great things show up in the http://www.resohangout.com classifieds!

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Thom posted in April and then got banned. (What do you have to do to get BANNED?!)

Anyhow, it's true, those would be very cool upgrades, but I'll bet the Gold Tone would do it right out of the box. It's really head, shoulders, beehive, and Easter bonnet above the other under-$1k squarenecks. Beard has it figured out for every level.

Yup, Elderly is a trustworthy place to shop online. And great things show up in the http://www.resohangout.com classifieds!

no idea

People are kind of nuts

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived