LR Baggs Radius-M mandolin pickup and LR Baggs Venue pre amp

Mikeo

• Members

I purchased this system the other day to go on my Gibson F5-G, and gave it a first try at rehearsal the other night. So far I am very happy with it. When you need more than a microphone and want some stage wiggle room.

It might just be the honeymoon phase, but it's a keeper. Quick carpenter jack installation, and the pickup stick on and easily removed with this putty stuff that comes with the Radius M.

Used the Venue pre amp to dial in a very quickly a nice tone. The tuner is rather nice too on the Venue preamp. We the ran the XLR out of the Venue into a PA. I may have a chance this weekend to run it into a older Fishman Loudbox Performer.

If you bang on the bridge of your mandolin it does transfer the sound into the pickup, so some care must be taken when playing.

The pickup system came off easily, without a trace of evidence it was even on the mandolin.

It will fall off your mandolin if you step on your cable. :D Already been there. I'll make another note on that for next time.

I was told by the folks at LR Baggs that there Para DI will work fine too as a pre amp, and may even sound more natural. However for a nice clean easy set up right from the stage this was the way to go for me.

I plugged my Martin into the Venue pre amp and I may play with it a bit more, but it's different than the Fishman Specra DI that I have been using for quite a few years. I like the Fishman Spectra a lot, for the acoustic guitar. The LR Baggs will be my mandolin set up, and I'll stick with the Fishman for the guitar.

One thing I worry about when viewing videos made by manufactures on Youtube is over production to make a product sound better than it actually is. The 2 Sierra Hull YouTube videos made by LR Baggs really does give a nice demonstration of what there Radius M pickup and Venue system sounds like.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Virgin stage run last night for the mandolin Baggs Radius and Venue pre amp.

Very quick set up, very nice sounding and I highly recommend for a nicer mandolin and for folks that don't want to mess with the originality of an instrument, even with something as small as adding a 1/4 jack.

Just remember to put a bit of the cable in your back pocket, cause if you don't and step on the cable, it will put the carpenter jack off the mandolin. I learned that quickly in rehearsal.

It all comes off in a minute or so and leave no marks on the finish.

That way when you go back to playing some old timey or bluegrass mic-ed style songs, it's full acoustic again.

Sir, I have been steeped in old-timey material :D

• 4 months later...
  • Members
Thank you!

I have been planning to go with KK pickups for my mando, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I may have to take another look at the Baggs.

That is a very good one too.

You'll want to add there pre amp too. I don't think there is an XLR out on the smaller preamp. Just a 1/4" out. Look in to the XLR pre they make for easy longer runs to the mixing console or snake.

Archived