Gibson F5 Mandolin

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I had the chance to buy a new mandolin this year and tried many, but there's only some many you can really try in real life.

My purchase was a Gibson F5-G built by Dave and the fine builders at Gibson. Dave didn't the final tuning and signed my mandolin. The back was weird , but I was sent photos of the mandolin before the purchase, so I knew that. I was actually thinking about sending it back, cause I really wanted that standard flame back. After receiving the mandolin and playing it for a bit, it just sounded so amazing, I kept it.

The back is so unique that I could place face down 1000 mandolins and pick mine out just by looking at the back side.

fetch?id=31597745

fetch?id=31597747

My other mandolin is an A model Flatiron Performer that I bought like 25 years ago.

These are the only two mandolins I have ever owned.. They sound very different, but I love em both.

fetch?id=31597748fetch?id=31597749

• Members

Oh and by the way I'm pretty much a second rate mandolin player. Too many instruments and the work day cuts into my fun time.

fetch?id=31597758

fetch?id=31597759

I'm not sure when I bought the Dobro F60, but it seems that nobody in TN wanted an round neck woody.I did though. Sounds great.

I thought I had a pic of mine on my pc, but I guess not. They look like this.

Gibson doesn't make to many dobro any more.

They don't make any metal bodies. OMI/ Gibson made mine. I actually talked to the women out in CA when I purchased mine 33H. I think they were descendants of the Duprea Brothers.

What ever happen to the tooling to build metal bodies? I sure would like to know

50U-2020_front.jpg

Seems like National Resophonic is doing ok. Nationals have rather wide fat chunky necks. Takes a bit to get used to em. The Gibson/ OMI's are more comfy IMO.

Still I love the gritty tones of a steel body. The bell brass chrome has a nice ring, an less grit. Different tones, but both are cool.

I

• Members

I don't play a stringed instrument at all, but wish I did. I suppose it is never too late to start. I first fell in love with the Mandolin when I saw Pure Prairie League play Amy (with Vince Gil) back in 1981.

I have always loved the Dobro. One of my favorites is a tune a guy I play for sings called "Shadow of a doubt" - If I could figure out how to get mp3's loaded here, I'd post up the song.

D

• Members
I don't play a stringed instrument at all, but wish I did. I suppose it is never too late to start. I first fell in love with the Mandolin when I saw Pure Prairie League play Amy (with Vince Gil) back in 1981.

I have always loved the Dobro. One of my favorites is a tune a guy I play for sings called "Shadow of a doubt" - If I could figure out how to get mp3's loaded here, I'd post up the song.

D

It is really never to late to start.

I was probably in my late 30's before I ever sat at a drum kit. I had a bunch of drum machines over the years, but they always sounded like something wasn't quite right.

Now when something is off and not right, it me and I only have myself to blame.

I'm not a good drummer, but I make do for my home demos and original songs.

Archived