Accordion ever gonna make a comeback?

• Members

You hate polka? Inconceivable! I perform regularly in a local polka band during OktoberFest season, make a ton of money and have a great time. I'm not the accordion player (I sing in German and play tenor banjo)' but our accordion player can tear tha thing up. We not only do traditional polka music, but polka versions of "Sweet Home Alabama" (Sweet Home Bavaria), "Play that Funky Music, White Boy" (Play that Polka Music, Weiss Junge), and bunches more.

I have heard accordion played in many other styles, but, to me anyway, it just seems to sound best when backed by an oompah beat.

• Members

My favorite accordion music is Celtic Rock.  I don't hate polka music, but I think the accordion should have a separate identity that doesn't automatically mean polka or ranchero.  I'm sure if you tell people you play the banjo, they might assume you're playing hillbilly music from the Appalacians.  It just bugs me that people that make assumptions about the kind of music I am going to be playing before I've even made my first note.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members
I know this thread is old as dirt, but it all depends who ya ask. Is the accordion dead, nope.

It's old and it's silly. The poster apparently had never run into zydeco, Cajun, cajunta, Tex Mex, Los Lobos, or John Mellencamp! Hard to believe, but posting the question here probably perked him up.

• Like 1

• Members

It's old and it's silly. The poster apparently had never run into zydeco, Cajun, cajunta, Tex Mex, Los Lobos, or John Mellencamp! Hard to believe, but posting the question here probably perked him up.

Amen

I actually know a local guy that plays accordion, he's really busy, so he doesn't play out very much.

I ran into this retired guy that dropped into the local Celtic art museum fiddle jam on a Saturday more. Come to find out he was a semi retired anesthesiologist from Albany NY. He would just hear the melody one time through and join in. I was super impressed, but he had been playing a concertina for like 60 years.

He said he works every day, cause being an anesthesiologist he was still in high demand.

Never saw him again.

[video=youtube;MH2eRRh4Bls]

[video=youtube;Ishj4tX4Wzo]

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Anyone that only associates accordian with Lawrence Welk just lives too far from Lousiana- or South TX. I subbed in the band of a country Cajun star for a few shows, found out that an accordion (in that case a Cajun button accordion) run into a big sound system is a massive-sounding beast. And the music has a drive all it's own. The artist moved to LA in the late 80's and attracted quite a bit of curiosity and attention, even recruited Albert Lee on guitar and jammed with David Sanborn on the Night Music TV show. Accordians haven't taken over the world, but I think they have at least lost some of their stigma.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

I am an accordion player' date=' and it is a beautiful instrument.  It really carries the stigma of being a "polka" instrument even though there are a lot of other styles of music that can be played.  I personally hate polka, so this is a bit discouraging.  Anybody else noticed this?

[/quote']Though I enjoy polka, I can see where profiling can be tiresome. As with any instrument there are uses and then not so much. I only play acoustic guitar but you won't find me within earshot of any bluegrass music/event. For me there's music and then there's excesses of it for the sake of excess, or so it seems to me to be the case. Blow pipes of all stripes, including accordion, normally assault my ears with their unmitigated staccato of shrillness if not tastefully imparted in a mix. Aside from perhaps the uilleann pipes and the flute I can't sit and listen to solo performances of most wind instruments, especially harmonica, without cringing. The accordion is one of those instruments when outside the polka genre. It's a party music squeeze box to me and not to be taken too seriously outside that context. For you, though, that's the point of your discouragement. You're fighting the conventions of tradition. I wish you luck changing that convention. Sometimes we are defined by the instruments we choose to play and not by the music we choose to play with them.
Edited by Idunno

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I'm an accordionist! I personally love it, it's such a versatile, fun instrument to play and you always notice the accordion sound. However it can be difficult for me when I want to play metal (my preferred genre) or prog-rock rather than 'normal' stuff like classical or folk (although I'm learning this too for the practice). Stereotypes suck.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members
I reached out to a local accordion player this week to see if he was interested in playing. He wasn't.

No one likes being reached out to. It's icky. Next time, try just talking.

Thread status: posted in 2013 and still going strong!

• Members

lol exactly - I give up, what is this instrument "coming back" from? It was never exactly mainstream. (Not a criticism, to the hissy fit types...I like the instrument just fine)

I once saw Bruce Hornsby playing one with the Grateful Dead at Madison Square Garden. It was impressive. I think h p[lays them at his concerts regularly

Well, Hornsby is impressive. The guy is one of a kind, very eclectic and just plain talented as hell. I saw him do a charity show once In Richmond, just him on piano, absolutely blew the keys right off of that piano. Wow.

Edited by bill5

• 2 months later...