The day I was a millionaire...

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The day I was a millionaire...

I was a millionaire once.

I promised my wife that I'd buy her diamonds and furs, and I did. The fur was only rabbit (those who are old enough may recall that rabbit fur jackets were pretty popular back in the 70s), but the diamonds were and remain legit. At some point, I told her I'd make us millionaires, too, and I did.

I was stationed in Italy, on a small island off the northern coast of Sardinia, the second-largest island in the Mediterranean. This was before the Euro, so the local currency was the Italian lira. One payday, I got my entire paycheck in lire. I took it home and spread it in the kitchen table. "There you go, hon. You're a millionaire." It was over one million lire. We were, indeed, millionaires.

So, you might ask, how much was that worth in US dollars? Around $700, as I recall. But hey, a millionaire is a millionaire, right?
    "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
    -- Bob Parks

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
    -- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
    -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
    -- Theodore White

Cool story. Everyone should be a millionaire for a day.
    Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
    Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
    Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
    Member of the Schecter Society
    Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Originally posted by isaac42 View Post
      I But hey, a millionaire is a millionaire, right?
      Err..righto chief ( snicker snicker).

Comment

Um...looks around...
        Workin' for the woman with money in her hand.

Comment

It ties in with the question of what it means to be a millionaire in today's world. A century ago or more, having a million dollars meant that you were rich. A million dollars was a lot of money. Now, it's not at all unusual for a person or household to be worth a million. Mostly, that's because of the devaluation of the dollar. How many cents did a loaf of bread cost in, say, 1895? I see bread at the discount grocery store now for three dollars a loaf. One web site says that, in 1930, it was nine cents, so that's a factor of about 30. If that's accurate, then it takes about thirty million dollars today to have as much buying power as one million in 1930. Having one million today is like having $33K then.

So yeah, having a million lire and calling myself a millionaire was a bit silly, and I knew it was then. We laughed about it. But it's silly in the same way to call yourself a millionaire today because you have a million dollars. It's true, just as it was true for me in Italy, but in neither case does it mean what it used to mean, what a lot of us still feel it means.

There's a fair chance that I'll make it to a net worth of a million before I die. That'd be nice, and it could happen. Will I then be a millionaire again? Sure, by the strict definition. But that doesn't mean that I'll have a yacht and a villa on the Italian riviera.
          "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
          -- Bob Parks

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
          -- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
          -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
          -- Theodore White

Comment

I have a quart of a million on the shelf. It's only about ten bucks right now.
            Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

Working...
            X