Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your favorite non-music-related hobby, interest, or past time?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by SwampMusic View Post

    Many. If I had to pick just one, it would probably be Anne McCaffrey. The world lost a helluva story teller when that lady passed away.
    Robin Hobb is pretty good. In January I completed the 9-volume epic featuring Fitz and the Fool. The ending was incredible. I cried

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by williegoat View Post
      I used to be the Director of Safety for a trucking company and did some of that. It can be interesting and occasionally depressing . Do you do that as part of your job, or just a quirky diversion?
      I wondered the same thing. Analyzing auto accidents as a hobby is like being an amateur coroner.
      Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
      Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
      Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
      Member of the Schecter Society
      Person-2-Person on the Web

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by SwampMusic View Post
        Many. If I had to pick just one, it would probably be Anne McCaffrey. The world lost a helluva story teller when that lady passed away.
        McCaffrey was good and she'll be missed but I generally like SF with more science. I'm a fan of Lois McMaster Bujold, among others. I've actually met her a couple of times. I like Sharon Lee and Steve Miller's writing too but their stuff is like romance novels in space, almost a guilty pleasure. The last thing I read was "Dream Park" by Larry Niven and Steven Barnes. It was published in the mid 80's but I didn't get around to it until this year.
        Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
        Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
        Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
        Member of the Schecter Society
        Person-2-Person on the Web

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by williegoat View Post
          I used to be the Director of Safety for a trucking company and did some of that. It can be interesting and occasionally depressing . Do you do that as part of your job, or just a quirky diversion?
          I analyze accidents for general interest and safety. I mostly look at videos and see where the mistakes were made. A brief moment of inattention can ruin your day and that of others. However, sometimes, there is no way to avoid an accident through an unfortunate combination of events. Being a motorcycle rider, I'm on high alert when riding. The accident vids give me more insight on how I might stay safer on the road, whether on a bike, in a car, or as a pedestrian.
          Originally posted by MrKnobs
          God, that's beautiful man! And they say romance is dead!

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Cornholio Farquarth III View Post

            I analyze accidents for general interest and safety. I mostly look at videos and see where the mistakes were made. A brief moment of inattention can ruin your day and that of others. However, sometimes, there is no way to avoid an accident through an unfortunate combination of events. Being a motorcycle rider, I'm on high alert when riding. The accident vids give me more insight on how I might stay safer on the road, whether on a bike, in a car, or as a pedestrian.
            You generally come across as a bit of a fruitcake, but you're actually quite intelligent!
            my tunes

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Mark L View Post

              You generally come across as a bit of a fruitcake, but you're actually quite intelligent!
              Well, I play a character on here. Basically, I'm the court jester or class clown. It's a stress reliever from the very serious and stressful workday world, where decisions and actions can have great impacts on people's lives.
              Originally posted by MrKnobs
              God, that's beautiful man! And they say romance is dead!

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by SwampMusic View Post
                Many. If I had to pick just one, it would probably be Anne McCaffrey. The world lost a helluva story teller when that lady passed away.
                I quite liked "Dragonflight," but I didn't care for the deus ex machina ending. I've read several other of her books, and the writing is always good, but I'm just not all that impressed with her stories.

                I grew up reading the masters: Asimov, Clarke, and Heinlein, along with lots of other authors of the time. I didn't read a lot of fantasy, but I did read Tolkien. In my youth, I enjoyed Andre Norton, too. I don't know if I'd like her work as well now.
                "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
                -- Bob Parks

                "A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
                -- Oscar Wilde

                "No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
                -- Oscar Wilde

                "It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
                -- Theodore White

                Comment


                • #53
                  I read the Foundation books by Asimov as well as a good bit of Heinlein's work. I like both ends of the spectrum. It's odd, I guess, but there's only been two books that I've completely worn out and replaced. One was "The White Dragon" and the other was "The Stand". It seems like I don't have much time to read anything these days.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Cornholio Farquarth III View Post

                    Well, I play a character on here. Basically, I'm the court jester or class clown. It's a stress reliever from the very serious and stressful workday world, where decisions and actions can have great impacts on people's lives.
                    That's very illuminating. I suspect you're not the only one
                    my tunes

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by isaac42 View Post
                      . . . I grew up reading the masters: Asimov, Clarke, and Heinlein, along with lots of other authors of the time. I didn't read a lot of fantasy, but I did read Tolkien. In my youth, I enjoyed Andre Norton, too. I don't know if I'd like her work as well now.
                      I also grew up reading the masters: Asimov, Clarke, Sturgeon, Leinster. I was also a big fan of Eric Frank Russell. I never really got into Heinlein for whatever reason.
                      Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
                      Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
                      Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
                      Member of the Schecter Society
                      Person-2-Person on the Web

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by DeepEnd View Post
                        I also grew up reading the masters: Asimov, Clarke, Sturgeon, Leinster. I was also a big fan of Eric Frank Russell. I never really got into Heinlein for whatever reason.
                        My wife never liked him, either. Said she thought he was preachy. She wasn't wrong.
                        "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
                        -- Bob Parks

                        "A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
                        -- Oscar Wilde

                        "No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
                        -- Oscar Wilde

                        "It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
                        -- Theodore White

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Spending a few days on the Russian River, staying right next to Bohemian Grove.
                          Google it.
                          Last edited by tuco; 04-17-2019, 08:22 PM.
                          It's not a lie if you believe it~ Art Vandalay
                          Free your mind, and your ass will follow~G. Clinton
                          When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger~Confucius

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Not that I’m bragging about Korbel wines, they are grocery store level.
                            But the location and charcuterie plate were top notch and we bought some Schramsberg and dark chocolates for later
                            It's not a lie if you believe it~ Art Vandalay
                            Free your mind, and your ass will follow~G. Clinton
                            When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger~Confucius

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Wines from a grocery store aren't necessarily subpar. I've purchased some very nice wines in grocery stores, including a bottle of Moet. Moet Star, not Dom, but still...
                              Last edited by isaac42; 04-17-2019, 09:53 PM.
                              "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
                              -- Bob Parks

                              "A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
                              -- Oscar Wilde

                              "No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
                              -- Oscar Wilde

                              "It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
                              -- Theodore White

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by isaac42 View Post
                                Wines from a grocery store aren;t necessarily subpar. I've purchased some very nice wines in grocery stores, including a bottle of Moet. Moet Star, not Dom, but still...
                                I know but you can usually find Korbel in most grocery stores, but really
                                really yummy sparkling wines not so much.
                                They have really good distribution and volume at that price point.
                                We only paid $15 for a sparkling Chardonnay and $20 for excellent charcuterie, and sipped and munched under huge redwoods whilst
                                Stellars Jays grabbed any loose crumbs.
                                Thats my idea of a non- musical hobby
                                It's not a lie if you believe it~ Art Vandalay
                                Free your mind, and your ass will follow~G. Clinton
                                When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger~Confucius

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X