Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• isaac42
    started a topic I am suddenly unhappy.

I am suddenly unhappy.

I just talked to my younger brother. We had been talking about throwing a big party for Pop's birthday. He'll be 92, and such parties are a family tradition. But Pop said that 92 is not a "milestone" birthday, and we should wait for 95.

I don't think he'll make it to 95.

My brother, who sees him daily, doesn't think so, either. He doesn't think 93 is in the cards.

Not sure why, but it hit me pretty hard.

• Mikeo
    replied
    My wife and I did a will last year. It didn't cost that much. My buddy Jeff is a lawyer and grew up next to me as a kid. He said you really do need a will, but my wife wanted it. So I signed some paper work and wrote out a check. I have no kids and my wife has one son.

The business law firm we use was a little costly. Up until like a year and a half ago, my wife's name wasn't even on the house. Technically she didn't even own a car.

I just hope to outlive my pets.

My wife's mom is 93 this year. She's not without health issues, but she lives with my wife's younger sister, Thank god. My wife is going ti visit her tomorrow.

Me: I hope to never have to go into nursing home care, unless they are giving free lap dances.

I saw my dad yesterday. I took Luka too. My dad has seen Luka a few times, but this the first time I took him to his house. If I don't see my dad, talk to him on the phone every week.

My dad wanted to take Luka outside for a walk. They ended up playing in the yard.

Leave a comment:

• isaac42
    replied
    Originally posted by nice keetee View Post
    who gets what
    All spelled out. The big stuff, anyway.

Leave a comment:

• nice keetee
    replied
    who gets what

Leave a comment:

• isaac42
    replied
    Good to hear.

My father put everything into writing several years ago, establishing a family trust that dictates who gets what in pretty good detail.

Leave a comment:

• Cornholio Farquarth III
    replied
    [QUOTE=nice keetee;n32503791]
    Originally posted by Cornholio Farquarth III View Post
    My stoopid oldest brother convinced our Mom to move close to his vacation house over a 100 miles away from the family. It was a sudden thing and most of us were against it. Okay, it was in a resort area and, for a time, our Mom had lots of visitors . . . .mostly to take advantage of staying at her place for free in what turned out years later to be an expensive resort area.

She got wise to people using her for that purpose and clamped down on the over night stays. The relatives suddenly had no interest in visiting her. She was pissed, but it didn't really phase her for the most part, as people had shown their true colors.

My brother eventually sold his place in that area and so she had no close relatives anymore. In her declining years, with cancer, I was the only relative visiting her on a regular basis. I was her caretaker for all her affairs. My stoopid brothers couldn't be bothered with her, as she was "so far away" from the family. I stayed with her to take care of her, but I was also driving 300 mile round trips several times a week, as I needed to take care of my own house. She was in and out of hospitals and nursing homes, due to her medical needs. They were bad experiences. No question about it. Hospital staff even stole money from her. She made me promise to let her stay in her own home and not go back to the nursing home. I honored her wishes. I brought in hospice care for her. It was fiercely expensive, but I wanted her to live her remaining months on her own terms, which she did.[/QUOT

You doing OK now?
    Thanks for asking. All good. I spent lots of time with my Mom and carried out all her wishes to a T. Everything was in writing, witnessed, and notarized, so that no one could legitimately challenge anything. She was able to go in peace knowing that everything was well in hand. I was also at peace, satisfied that she felt in control of everything and had no worries as she passed on.
    Last edited by Cornholio Farquarth III; 04-11-2019, 03:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• nice keetee
    replied
    [QUOTE=Cornholio Farquarth III;n32502501]My stoopid oldest brother convinced our Mom to move close to his vacation house over a 100 miles away from the family. It was a sudden thing and most of us were against it. Okay, it was in a resort area and, for a time, our Mom had lots of visitors . . . .mostly to take advantage of staying at her place for free in what turned out years later to be an expensive resort area.

She got wise to people using her for that purpose and clamped down on the over night stays. The relatives suddenly had no interest in visiting her. She was pissed, but it didn't really phase her for the most part, as people had shown their true colors.

My brother eventually sold his place in that area and so she had no close relatives anymore. In her declining years, with cancer, I was the only relative visiting her on a regular basis. I was her caretaker for all her affairs. My stoopid brothers couldn't be bothered with her, as she was "so far away" from the family. I stayed with her to take care of her, but I was also driving 300 mile round trips several times a week, as I needed to take care of my own house. She was in and out of hospitals and nursing homes, due to her medical needs. They were bad experiences. No question about it. Hospital staff even stole money from her. She made me promise to let her stay in her own home and not go back to the nursing home. I honored her wishes. I brought in hospice care for her. It was fiercely expensive, but I wanted her to live her remaining months on her own terms, which she did.[/QUOT

You doing OK now?

Leave a comment:

• isaac42
    replied
    Pop may be getting close to that, but he's not there yet.

Leave a comment:

• Cornholio Farquarth III
    replied
    My stoopid oldest brother convinced our Mom to move close to his vacation house over a 100 miles away from the family. It was a sudden thing and most of us were against it. Okay, it was in a resort area and, for a time, our Mom had lots of visitors . . . .mostly to take advantage of staying at her place for free in what turned out years later to be an expensive resort area.

My brother eventually sold his place in that area and so she had no close relatives anymore. In her declining years, with cancer, I was the only relative visiting her on a regular basis. I was her caretaker for all her affairs. My stoopid brothers couldn't be bothered with her, as she was "so far away" from the family. I stayed with her to take care of her, but I was also driving 300 mile round trips several times a week, as I needed to take care of my own house. She was in and out of hospitals and nursing homes, due to her medical needs. They were bad experiences. No question about it. Hospital staff even stole money from her. She made me promise to let her stay in her own home and not go back to the nursing home. I honored her wishes. I brought in hospice care for her. It was fiercely expensive, but I wanted her to live her remaining months on her own terms, which she did.
    Last edited by Cornholio Farquarth III; 04-10-2019, 01:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DeepEnd
    replied
    Originally posted by isaac42 View Post
    For what it's worth, I'm a better singer than I am a bass player, and a better bass player than I am a guitarist. And I'm really out of practice on guitar, on top of that. And then there's the fact that I'm an atheist...
    Details, details.

Leave a comment:

• isaac42
    replied
    Originally posted by DeepEnd View Post
    Could we talk you into playing guitar? OTOH, Larry, our current bass player, also plays trumpet. Maybe we could work something out.
    For what it's worth, I'm a better singer than I am a bass player, and a better bass player than I am a guitarist. And I'm really out of practice on guitar, on top of that. And then there's the fact that I'm an atheist...

Leave a comment:

• isaac42
    replied
    Originally posted by DeepEnd View Post
    Sorry I'm late to this thread. Yeah, it sucks watching parents decline. Mojo coming your way.

I checked on mom once a week and took her out to lunch toward the end. We live 60 miles away and I couldn't go more often. I finally found her lying on the kitchen floor. She lasted about another two weeks.
    Yeah, I'm 200 miles away. Casual drop in is out of the question.

Leave a comment:

• DeepEnd
    replied
    Originally posted by nice keetee View Post
    what is average file size limit of email? stems be couple mb each?
    Depends on the email service. There's always Google Drive, DropBox, or something similar.

Leave a comment:

• DeepEnd
    replied
    Originally posted by isaac42 View Post
    I might need to displace whoever is playing bass.
    Could we talk you into playing guitar? OTOH, Larry, our current bass player, also plays trumpet. Maybe we could work something out.

Leave a comment:

• DeepEnd
    replied
    Originally posted by tuco View Post
    You could always go to DeepEnd’s church, they appear “happy”.

They appear to be on the verge of dancing, at least
    I doubt Isaac would be willing to commute from Oregon to Missouri just to be in a small time praise band, especially with him being an atheist and all. then again, ya never know.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X