I am suddenly unhappy.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hammergjh
    replied
    I know I'll never hit those lofty numbers. Not gonna happen.

Leave a comment:

• daddymack
    replied
    I lived with my father when his health started declining. He died just over a year ago at 93. Forget 'milestones'...at that age every day is a milestone.

Leave a comment:

• isaac42
    replied
    Originally posted by xStonr View Post
    My Dad is 94 and his health is rapidly failing. He recently fell and is going to go to a assisted living facility. He's always telling me that he's ready to check out but he keeps hanging in. I tell his that for as long as he's here, it's my job to keep him comfortable. I just try to have quality time with him. Just do the same with your Dad.
    My younger brother lives right across the alley from him. Checks in on him every day, usually twice. Does all he can to keep him comfortable. He figures that he'll be the one to find Pop when he does check out, and he's probably right.

Leave a comment:

• isaac42
    replied
    Originally posted by hammergjh View Post
    Show up with a cake and a bottle. I doubt he'd turn them down.
    No, he wouldn't. My brothers will take him out for pizza and beer on his birthday. I'll stay up here and play a gig, and give him a call from the venue.

Leave a comment:

• isaac42
    replied
    Originally posted by Mikeo View Post
    Tuff call if he will make it to 93, or 95, or maybe ever 100.

I think part of the deal is wanting to make it.

My mother in law is 92
    And I'm not sure he does. He's outlived all of his friends, and all of his family of his generation. He didn't want to have the bypass surgery, but he went ahead and did it. I think that was because he felt he needed to stick around to take care of Mom, but Mom passed a year ago. I think he feels that he's done everything he needed to do. The only thing left, maybe, is actually living to be 100, but I dont think he cares about that.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Grumpy
    replied
    My stepmom just turned 90, and yes, we had a big party for her, private room at a local mexican restaurant...

She's still living in her two-story house, she has one of those 'stair lifts' but she trips and falls down every few months. Falls for old folks are potentially a BIG DEAL and can even be fatal under the wrong circumstances. At least she's decided to start using a walker. But she's stubborn and doesn't want to move into a "home"....

Watching your parents decline like that IS depressing, no two ways about it. I try to use those memories as motivation to take care of my own health, so I'll be around to take care of my daughter.

Leave a comment:

• xStonr
    replied
    My Dad is 94 and his health is rapidly failing. He recently fell and is going to go to a assisted living facility. He's always telling me that he's ready to check out but he keeps hanging in. I tell his that for as long as he's here, it's my job to keep him comfortable. I just try to have quality time with him. Just do the same with your Dad.

Leave a comment:

• hammergjh
    replied
    Show up with a cake and a bottle. I doubt he'd turn them down.
    Last edited by hammergjh; 04-04-2019, 06:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mikeo
    replied
    Originally posted by isaac42 View Post
    I just talked to my younger brother. We had been talking about throwing a big party for Pop's birthday. He'll be 92, and such parties are a family tradition. But Pop said that 92 is not a "milestone" birthday, and we should wait for 95.

I don't think he'll make it to 95.

My brother, who sees him daily, doesn't think so, either. He doesn't think 93 is in the cards.

Not sure why, but it hit me pretty hard.
    Tuff call if he will make it to 93, or 95, or maybe ever 100.

I think part of the deal is wanting to make it.

My mother in law is 92

Leave a comment:

• Cornholio Farquarth III
    replied
    My Mom is from the same generation. A lot of them can't fathom the concept of quitting. She made the most of her 97 years on this Earth. Sounds like your Dad is the same way..

Leave a comment:

• isaac42
    replied
    Originally posted by tuco View Post
    It’s probably a good thing that he’s optimistic, anyway
    Can't hurt, right?

Anyway, I had a drink, and I've calmed down. I have to remember my stoic precepts, and not get upset about things that are beyond my control.

Leave a comment:

• tuco
    replied
    Originally posted by isaac42 View Post
    I just talked to my younger brother. We had been talking about throwing a big party for Pop's birthday. He'll be 92, and such parties are a family tradition. But Pop said that 92 is not a "milestone" birthday, and we should wait for 95.

I don't think he'll make it to 95.

My brother, who sees him daily, doesn't think so, either. He doesn't think 93 is in the cards.

Not sure why, but it hit me pretty hard.
    It’s probably a good thing that he’s optimistic, anyway

Leave a comment:

Working...
X