No announcement yet.

I am suddenly unhappy.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am suddenly unhappy.

I just talked to my younger brother. We had been talking about throwing a big party for Pop's birthday. He'll be 92, and such parties are a family tradition. But Pop said that 92 is not a "milestone" birthday, and we should wait for 95.

I don't think he'll make it to 95.

My brother, who sees him daily, doesn't think so, either. He doesn't think 93 is in the cards.

Not sure why, but it hit me pretty hard.
    "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
    -- Bob Parks

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
    -- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
    -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
    -- Theodore White

Originally posted by isaac42 View Post
    I just talked to my younger brother. We had been talking about throwing a big party for Pop's birthday. He'll be 92, and such parties are a family tradition. But Pop said that 92 is not a "milestone" birthday, and we should wait for 95.

My brother, who sees him daily, doesn't think so, either. He doesn't think 93 is in the cards.

It’s probably a good thing that he’s optimistic, anyway
    It's not a lie if you believe it~ Art Vandalay
    Free your mind, and your ass will follow~G. Clinton
    When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger~Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by tuco View Post
      It’s probably a good thing that he’s optimistic, anyway
      Can't hurt, right?

Anyway, I had a drink, and I've calmed down. I have to remember my stoic precepts, and not get upset about things that are beyond my control.
      "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
      -- Bob Parks

-- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
      -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
      -- Theodore White

Comment

My Mom is from the same generation. A lot of them can't fathom the concept of quitting. She made the most of her 97 years on this Earth. Sounds like your Dad is the same way..
        Originally posted by MrKnobs
        God, that's beautiful man! And they say romance is dead!

Comment

Tuff call if he will make it to 93, or 95, or maybe ever 100.

I think part of the deal is wanting to make it.

My mother in law is 92

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

Show up with a cake and a bottle. I doubt he'd turn them down.
            Last edited by hammergjh; 04-04-2019, 06:15 AM.
            Workin' for the woman with money in her hand.

Comment

My Dad is 94 and his health is rapidly failing. He recently fell and is going to go to a assisted living facility. He's always telling me that he's ready to check out but he keeps hanging in. I tell his that for as long as he's here, it's my job to keep him comfortable. I just try to have quality time with him. Just do the same with your Dad.
              Death leaves a heartache no one can heal
              Love leaves a memory no one can steal

Comment

My stepmom just turned 90, and yes, we had a big party for her, private room at a local mexican restaurant...

She's still living in her two-story house, she has one of those 'stair lifts' but she trips and falls down every few months. Falls for old folks are potentially a BIG DEAL and can even be fatal under the wrong circumstances. At least she's decided to start using a walker. But she's stubborn and doesn't want to move into a "home"....

Watching your parents decline like that IS depressing, no two ways about it. I try to use those memories as motivation to take care of my own health, so I'll be around to take care of my daughter.
                This space left intentionally blank.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeo View Post
                  Tuff call if he will make it to 93, or 95, or maybe ever 100.

I think part of the deal is wanting to make it.

My mother in law is 92
                  And I'm not sure he does. He's outlived all of his friends, and all of his family of his generation. He didn't want to have the bypass surgery, but he went ahead and did it. I think that was because he felt he needed to stick around to take care of Mom, but Mom passed a year ago. I think he feels that he's done everything he needed to do. The only thing left, maybe, is actually living to be 100, but I dont think he cares about that.
                  -- Bob Parks

-- Oscar Wilde

-- Oscar Wilde

-- Theodore White

Comment

Originally posted by hammergjh View Post
                    Show up with a cake and a bottle. I doubt he'd turn them down.
                    No, he wouldn't. My brothers will take him out for pizza and beer on his birthday. I'll stay up here and play a gig, and give him a call from the venue.
                    -- Bob Parks

-- Oscar Wilde

-- Oscar Wilde

-- Theodore White

Comment

Originally posted by xStonr View Post
                      My Dad is 94 and his health is rapidly failing. He recently fell and is going to go to a assisted living facility. He's always telling me that he's ready to check out but he keeps hanging in. I tell his that for as long as he's here, it's my job to keep him comfortable. I just try to have quality time with him. Just do the same with your Dad.
                      My younger brother lives right across the alley from him. Checks in on him every day, usually twice. Does all he can to keep him comfortable. He figures that he'll be the one to find Pop when he does check out, and he's probably right.
                      -- Bob Parks

-- Oscar Wilde

-- Oscar Wilde

-- Theodore White

Comment

I lived with my father when his health started declining. He died just over a year ago at 93. Forget 'milestones'...at that age every day is a milestone.
                        "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Solipsism is the new empiricism. -Alan Burdick

Comment

I know I'll never hit those lofty numbers. Not gonna happen.
                          Workin' for the woman with money in her hand.

Comment

And I'm not sure he does. He's outlived all of his friends, and all of his family of his generation. He didn't want to have the bypass surgery, but he went ahead and did it. I think that was because he felt he needed to stick around to take care of Mom, but Mom passed a year ago. I think he feels that he's done everything he needed to do. The only thing left, maybe, is actually living to be 100, but I dont think he cares about that.
                            From his perspective, the world must be a lonely place. Having your kids around is a plus I'm sure,
                            but you have no one left you can relate to.
                            It's not a lie if you believe it~ Art Vandalay
                            Free your mind, and your ass will follow~G. Clinton
                            When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger~Confucius

Comment

it is all wired into our existence to suffer loss
                              or so it seems..

unless one dies young

Comment

Working...
                              X