No announcement yet.

Car maintenance story

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car maintenance story

Just thought I'd share. My daily driver '04 Toyota Tacoma recently started 'missing' badly. It's got 129 thousand miles on the Odomoeter.
    So i figured it was probably the original plugs was the culprit. I changed out the plugs for brand new OEM plugs that

I put in myself. Well, Not being real up on machanical skill, i busted off a bolt in the valve cover that holds one of the
    plug coils on the cover. So I ended up having to take it to a mechanic to drill out the bolt. So much for DIY and trying to save money.Well, I did save money afer all, the plugs on my truick arent cheap to change.

Turned out ok, my mechanic was able to 'easy out' the busted bolt for not too much money. I think I learned something that may serve me well in the future; if a bolt is too hard to get out, do not force it. Spray it first with chemical spray penetrant, like 'liquid wrench', .

The truck runs great now, and looks to be using noticably less fuel. Right now I am going ouitside to clean and oil my' K&N' lifetime air filter which could save even more money on gas.

I also added this stuff called "Seafoam" to the gas, which is supposed to be a real good gas system/upper cylander treatment.

Two months ago I did my oil change myself. I use Mobil 1 100% synthetic oil- wal mart has the best price by far, they had it for like 22 bucks, and so it's like 15 thousand miles between oil changes when used in conjunction with a premium synthetic oil filter,and thats 1 year for me between oil changes, and life is good!
    And next I just need to get my tires rotated at Wal - Mart, which should be done about once a year, and I am golden!

BTW, Wal- Mart charges 10 bucks for a flat repair, the other place in town charges 18 bucks!!
    I just went in fior a flat repair at Wal- Mart, they did a great job,and to my delight, the manager said "it's on the house"! I paid nothing , and that made my day!!
    Last edited by Balthazar Munoz; 11-10-2018, 05:42 PM.

I forget their name, but when I lived up in Michigan, Discount Tire fixed flats for free.
    Death leaves a heartache no one can heal
    Love leaves a memory no one can steal

Comment

Originally posted by Balthazar Munoz View Post
      Just thought I'd share. My daily driver '04 Toyota Tacoma recently started 'missing' badly. It's got 129 thousand miles on the Odomoeter.
      So i figured it was probably the original plugs was the culprit. I changed out the plugs for brand new OEM plugs that

I put in myself. Well, Not being real up on machanical skill, i busted off a bolt in the valve cover that holds one of the
      plug coils on the cover. So I ended up having to take it to a mechanic to drill out the bolt. So much for DIY and trying to save money.Well, I did save money afer all, the plugs on my truick arent cheap to change.

Turned out ok, my mechanic was able to 'easy out' the busted bolt for not too much money. I think I learned something that may serve me well in the future; if a bolt is too hard to get out, do not force it. Spray it first with chemical spray penetrant, like 'liquid wrench', .

The truck runs great now, and looks to be using noticably less fuel. Right now I am going ouitside to clean and oil my' K&N' lifetime air filter which could save even more money on gas.

I also added this stuff called "Seafoam" to the gas, which is supposed to be a real good gas system/upper cylander treatment.

Two months ago I did my oil change myself. I use Mobil 1 100% synthetic oil- wal mart has the best price by far, they had it for like 22 bucks, and so it's like 15 thousand miles between oil changes when used in conjunction with a premium synthetic oil filter,and thats 1 year for me between oil changes, and life is good!
      And next I just need to get my tires rotated at Wal - Mart, which should be done about once a year, and I am golden!

BTW, Wal- Mart charges 10 bucks for a flat repair, the other place in town charges 18 bucks!!
      I just went in fior a flat repair at Wal- Mart, they did a great job,and to my delight, the manager said "it's on the house"! I paid nothing , and that made my day!!
      I know what an EZ out is and how to use em. They really should be in everyone's toolbox. It's not a matter if you will need them, it's when you will need them.

I don't put that many miles on my cars, 2 times a year I have the dealership change the oil. On the Subaru, it gets synthetic stuff, cause it's a turbo.

I used to do my own oil changes and plug changes, points back in the day, brakes, shocks. My dad helped me with a clutch when I was a kid.

I know Walmart, oh too well. I just needed a HP printer cartridge and they came through. 3 miles down the street. Otherwise, I'm looking a 20 mile/ 40 mile round trip to Staples. We had a Staples in town, but they closed it.

Our Walmart doesn't have a garage or service center, but the sell batteries and oil and stuff. It's a Super Walmart, just not a Super Duper Walmart.

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

Seafoam is good stuff. I put some in my mower's tank every winter so the gas doesn't roach out while the mower has long idle spells.
        I put some in it this last June.....Right after I decided I was too old to mow the grass in the summer heat and hired a regular yard guy to mow and trim the yard.

I probably ought to go out tomorrow and start the mower up.....I've gotten used to this lawn care by others bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Balthazar Munoz View Post

It's not a lie if you believe it~ Art Vandalay
          Free your mind, and your ass will follow~G. Clinton
          When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger~Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by AlamoJoe View Post
            Seafoam is good stuff. I put some in my mower's tank every winter so the gas doesn't roach out while the mower has long idle spells.
            I put some in it this last June.....Right after I decided I was too old to mow the grass in the summer heat and hired a regular yard guy to mow and trim the yard.

I probably ought to go out tomorrow and start the mower up.....I've gotten used to this lawn care by others bit.
            I use Seafoam in my bike to keep the injector system clean. Works great.
            Originally posted by MrKnobs
            God, that's beautiful man! And they say romance is dead!

Comment

This one time, I put air in one of my tires. It was exhausting, but it felt GREAT to do my own mechanical work!
              Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend
              Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read
              -Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Danocoustic View Post
                This one time, I put air in one of my tires. It was exhausting, but it felt GREAT to do my own mechanical work!
                Nothing like new air in a tire.

Comment

Good job, Dood. Be proud.
                  "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
                  -- Bob Parks

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
                  -- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
                  -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
                  -- Theodore White

Comment

You're supposed to use an air pump for that, instead of putting your lips around the valve stem and blowing into it. If you used the pump, you wouldn't be so exhausted. Just sayin.

Comment

Originally posted by Cornholio Farquarth III View Post

You're supposed to use an air pump for that, instead of putting your lips around the valve stem and blowing into it. If you used the pump, you wouldn't be so exhausted. Just sayin.
                      "Air ...pump"
                      Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend
                      Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read
                      -Groucho Marx

Comment

"Air ...pump"
                        . .

Comment

Back when I owned my first Corolla, a '77, I did most of my own maintenance but I haven't done any car maintenance beyond changing headlights in years. My current Corolla, an '09, has 107K on the odometer and gets its oil (synthetic blend) changed every 5K. Friday the "Check Engine" light came on so I need to take it to our mechanic to see what's what. It seems to be running okay though so who knows?
                          Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
                          Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
                          Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
                          Member of the Schecter Society
                          Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Originally posted by DeepEnd View Post
                            Back when I owned my first Corolla, a '77, I did most of my own maintenance but I haven't done any car maintenance beyond changing headlights in years. My current Corolla, an '09, has 107K on the odometer and gets its oil (synthetic blend) changed every 5K. Friday the "Check Engine" light came on so I need to take it to our mechanic to see what's what. It seems to be running okay though so who knows?
                            These days who knows.

I sometimes call it the mystery light.

It might be there just to remind you the 2019's Corolla's are out.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepEnd View Post
                              Chances are you need a new gas cap. Seriously.

Comment

Working...
                              X