Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

if i had been sgt carter, gomer would have had a training "accident" or something

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nice keetee View Post
    Green Acres had some characters that would test my patience, the only one worth a damn was Arnold Ziffel.
    He was baconey
    It's not a lie if you believe it~ Art Vandalay
    Free your mind, and your ass will follow~G. Clinton
    When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger~Confucius

Comment

• Phil O'Keefe
      Phil O'Keefe commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmmmmm .... bacon!

Originally posted by AlamoJoe View Post
    First...Impressive!
    Second...There has to be some unclassified stories there you could share.
    Third. What's your stand on nuclear energy, and the virtual shutdown of it in our country for electricity?
    Thanks.

Stories? As the saying goes, weeks of boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror. I spent most of my time in the engine room, on watch. For me, that meant watching dials on the reactor plant control panel. Pretty dull, most of the time. There's another saying: what's the difference between a fairy tale and a sea story? A fairy tale starts off with "Once upon a time," while a sea story starts witn "This is no sh!t, guys..."

I think that turning away from nuclear power was a big mistake, based on fear and ignorance. Nuclear has by far the smallest carbon footprint of any energy source. Coal plants kill thousands of people every year, and no one gets terribly upset about it. Nuclear power has not killed anyone in this country, and very few people worldwide, yet people are terrified of it. Just another example of people being afraid of the wrong things. But, if we want to maintain a high energy civilization and still mitigate the effects of global warming, then nuclear is essential, but I don't think we're going to go that route.
    "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
    -- Bob Parks

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
    -- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
    -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
    -- Theodore White

Comment

Originally posted by isaac42 View Post

Thanks.

Stories? As the saying goes, weeks of boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror. I spent most of my time in the engine room, on watch. For me, that meant watching dials on the reactor plant control panel. Pretty dull, most of the time. There's another saying: what's the difference between a fairy tale and a sea story? A fairy tale starts off with "Once upon a time," while a sea story starts witn "This is no sh!t, guys..."

I think that turning away from nuclear power was a big mistake, based on fear and ignorance. Nuclear has by far the smallest carbon footprint of any energy source. Coal plants kill thousands of people every year, and no one gets terribly upset about it. Nuclear power has not killed anyone in this country, and very few people worldwide, yet people are terrified of it. Just another example of people being afraid of the wrong things. But, if we want to maintain a high energy civilization and still mitigate the effects of global warming, then nuclear is essential, but I don't think we're going to go that route.
      Yeah people need to face facts, we need nukes, and we can build safer ones now that use fuel we already have stockpiles of.

Comment

Comment

Comment

It's generally acknowledged among the black-shoe Navy that anyone who would volunteer to serve aboard a vessel designed to sink is nuts.
            Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend
            Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read
            -Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by tuco View Post

He was baconey
              Originally posted by MrKnobs
              God, that's beautiful man! And they say romance is dead!

Comment

Originally posted by Danocoustic View Post
                It's generally acknowledged among the black-shoe Navy that anyone who would volunteer to serve aboard a vessel designed to sink is nuts.
                Better to sink on a boat that's designed to come back up, innit?

I won't argue the "nuts" part, though.
                "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
                -- Bob Parks

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
                -- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
                -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
                -- Theodore White

Comment

Is Santa Claustrophobic? Did he come out of the Clause-it?
                  Last edited by Balthazar Munoz; 10-19-2018, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by isaac42 View Post

Better to sink on a boat that's designed to come back up, innit?

I won't argue the "nuts" part, though.
                    I love all sub movies, both modern and vintage I've seen just about all of them. Last one I saw was Operation Petticoat. Love the interior of those old subs shots scenes. There's a void of modern Nuclear sub movies though, even modern movies are usually about old subs.
                    My old Tin lunch box as a Juvie was Voyage to the bottom of the Sea.

I need to do some research about modern Sub fleets. Do the Rooskies have a formidable fleet? What about the Chinese?The Brits and other Euro countries?
                    Last edited by Balthazar Munoz; 10-19-2018, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. . . Richard Basehart and David Hedison.
                      Originally posted by MrKnobs
                      God, that's beautiful man! And they say romance is dead!

Comment

Comment

II guess the Monitor and Merrimac were "Ironclads", and not actual Subs, like this;
                          Last edited by Balthazar Munoz; 10-19-2018, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Actually, I just looked it up, and the first actual Sub was the USS Holland, but i would venture to sat they used some of the technolgy availbe from the Monitor.

Comment

My favorite Sub movie is "Das Boot". Saw it in the theater in German with sub titles.

Years later, they issued it on a deluxe DVD set with 30 extra minutes, and both English and German language versions. I watched the English version, and have only watched the German language version with subtitles since. I think it's a superior way to watch it. It's great movie.

Comment

Working...
                              X