Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've been thinking about deep time again.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been thinking about deep time again.

I know, I go off on this track every now and then.

So, a person's life is about 10^2 years. The biblical three score years and ten, or seventy years, is 0.7x10^2, so that's a decent approximation.

Ten lifetimes, then, would be 10^3, or 1000 years. One thousand years ago, Europe launched the first Crusade. Rome had fallen and the Church ruled the continent.

Twice that, two thousand years ago, Christianity had not yet started. Rome ruled most of the known world.

10^4 years ago, 10,000 years, agriculture was just beginning. That allowed for the rise of the cities and the beginning of civilization. A bit before that, humans arrived in the Americas, though they didn't call them that.

10^5 years ago, 100,000 years, humans were hunter-gatherers. 250,000 years ago, 2.5x10^5 years, modern humans first appeared.

10^6 years ago, one million years, there was nothing we'd recognize as human, though our relatives were around.

10^7 years ago, ten million years, nothing remotely human, but mammals were everywhere, ruling the planet, as they say.

10^8 years ago, 100 million years, there were, essentially, no mammals, and dinosaurs were in charge.

10^9 years ago, one billion years, multi-celled organisms had only just arisen. Well, okay, they'd been around for some 700 million years, but that's not all that long when compared to single-celled life, which had been around for several billion years before that.

The Earth and the solar system came into being at about 5x10^9 years ago, and the universe at about 1.4x10^10 years ago. So that's it. The entire universe is about 10^10 years old.

Sounds like a lot. And it is, on a human scale. Heck, we tend to think that anything that happened before we were born happened a long time ago.

Going the other direction, the Sun will increase its output, and the Earth will heat up. In about 2 billion years, Earth will be too hot for life. Odds are that nothing we'd recognize as human will be around by then, but our descendants, if any, will likely be living on Mars or the Jovian moons.

In 3-5 billion years, the Andromeda galaxy will collide with the Milky Way. What a sight that will be! I wonder if there will be anyone around to appreciate it.

All that will happen when the universe is still less than 2x10^10 years old. By then, anyone around will be living in the combined galaxy (Andromaway? Milkomeda?), which will be the centerpiece of the Local Group of galaxies.

At 10^11 years, some ten times the present age of the universe, the universe will have expanded so much that only the Local Group will matter. All of the other 200 trillion galaxies will have receded so far that they will hardly be visible, if at all, and nothing that happens in them will be able to affect us. Most will be completely outside of our light cone.

Most stars like ours live about 10 billion years. Larger stars live shorter lives. At some point, larger stars will no longer form. In a few million years after that, there will be no more of them. Then medium sized stars like our Sun will stop forming. Some ten billion years after that, at maybe 10^12 or 10^13 years, only red dwarf stars will remain. At about 10^14 years, there will be no more stars.

Keep in mind, that's about ten thousand times the current age of the universe. Now, that's a long time!
    "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
    -- Bob Parks

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
    -- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
    -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
    -- Theodore White

A long time ago,
    in a galaxy far away . . . . .
    Originally posted by MrKnobs
    God, that's beautiful man! And they say romance is dead!

Comment

Damn Issac. I hadn't been here long when I figured out you were a pretty smart fella....But that's kind of mind boggling. Is that what people do when they retire? Think deep thoughts? Figure stuff out?

As far as what has happened, sho nuff'. As far as what will happen...May depend on whether the Universe decides it's expanded enough, and it's time to downsize, and contraction occurs...Perhaps to the point where everything in the Universe contracts to a single, very heavy molecule and then blows up....Again.

Nothing is permanent.

Comment

Not already of course. Makes me wonder if you or it ain't dey, did it happen?
        Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

Originally posted by AlamoJoe View Post
          ay depend on whether the Universe decides it's expanded enough, and it's time to downsize, and contraction occurs...Perhaps to the point where everything in the Universe contracts to a single, very heavy molecule and then blows up....Again.
          Who knows if that hasn't happened, maybe billions, even trillions of times , in more or less the same way, and everything IS permanent? I'm thinking outside the box..the Jack in the Box that is, down on East Main.
          Last edited by Balthazar Munoz; 10-16-2018, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Isaac---just FYI, at the risk of being pedantic---go to advanced editor---102 &c

47o

I just discovered this myself
            Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend
            Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read
            -Groucho Marx

Comment

Isaac is pretty spot on about everything. I watch "How the Universe Works" on Science Channel too. But I also agree with B.M. that we may be the first iteration of the universe or the nth, there's no way to tell. I believe that the universe has been expanding and contracting ad infinitum. Sorta like the Matrix software versions. BTW, the universe wouldn't contract into a "single...molecule", the official term is a "singularity".
              Workin' for the woman with money in her hand.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	32367588

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

Originally posted by Danocoustic View Post
                  Isaac---just FYI, at the risk of being pedantic---go to advanced editor---102 &c

47o

I just discovered this myself
                  Seems like more trouble than it's worth. Besides, when you write 47o, do you mean 47 Fahrenheit, Celsius, Rankine or Kelvin? And anyway, there's always 10² and 47°.
                  "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
                  -- Bob Parks

-- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
                  -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
                  -- Theodore White

Comment

Originally posted by MrKnobs
                    God, that's beautiful man! And they say romance is dead!

Comment

Originally posted by hammergjh View Post
                      Isaac is pretty spot on about everything. I watch "How the Universe Works" on Science Channel too. But I also agree with B.M. that we may be the first iteration of the universe or the nth, there's no way to tell. I believe that the universe has been expanding and contracting ad infinitum. Sorta like the Matrix software versions. BTW, the universe wouldn't contract into a "single...molecule", the official term is a "singularity".
                      I suppose that it's possible, and, as you say, there's no way to know. But, on the one hand, there's no evidence I know of that supports the idea of a cyclical universe. On the other hand, as we cannot know, that makes it what a man I knew called a trivial question. That was his term for a question whose answer doesn't matter. Of course, you could say that about lots of things, including this thread, and I couldn't prove you wrong.
                      -- Bob Parks

-- Oscar Wilde

-- Oscar Wilde

-- Theodore White

Comment

Originally posted by isaac42 View Post

Seems like more trouble than it's worth. Besides, when you write 47o, do you mean 47 Fahrenheit, Celsius, Rankine or Kelvin? And anyway, there's always 10² and 47°.
                        I shoulda known better...
                        Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend
                        Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read
                        -Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Danocoustic View Post
                          I shoulda known better...
                          I might come around, in time.
                          -- Bob Parks

-- Oscar Wilde

-- Oscar Wilde

-- Theodore White

Comment

So, if sup works, then sub probably does, too.
                            -- Bob Parks

-- Oscar Wilde

-- Oscar Wilde

-- Theodore White

Comment

Mummy, may I have a biscuit?

Comment

Working...
                              X