No announcement yet.

adjusted the pickup heights on the strat

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adjusted the pickup heights on the strat

Read some articles. It's one of those things that people have a difference of opinion about. I used the guidelines of a guitar set-up tech but I didn't have a measuring device with 64ths so I winged it with 16ths. Man it sounds so much better on the single coils. Much more Straty sounding.
    https://media.giphy.com/media/FefeclRDem7II/giphy.gif

I has a new signiture gif bitches

Did you raise or lower them? Set to what distance beneath the strings?
    "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
    -- Bob Parks

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
    -- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
    -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
    -- Theodore White

Comment

Originally posted by spacecommando View Post
      Read some articles. It's one of those things that people have a difference of opinion about. I used the guidelines of a guitar set-up tech but I didn't have a measuring device with 64ths so I winged it with 16ths. Man it sounds so much better on the single coils. Much more Straty sounding.
      All my strats sound pretty much strat like. Even the strat I have with Lace Sensors.

Grab one of these, for your bench.

https://www.amazon.com/b/?ie=UTF8&no...ug9qy7yw_e_p38

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

Raised them. High E side - low E side bridge: 2/64, 3/64, middle 3/64, 4/64, neck 3/64, 4/64. Like I said I didn't have a proper measuring device so I faked it off of 16ths, 4/64 = 1/16s. I got to sound more like bell tones. The bridge humbucker isn't perfect yet. It wobbles if you poke it.

Comment

Raised them. High E side - low E side bridge: 2/64, 3/64, middle 3/64, 4/64, neck 3/64, 4/64. Like I said I didn't have a proper measuring device so I faked it off of 16ths, 4/64 = 1/16s. I got to sound more like bell tones. The bridge humbucker isn't perfect yet. It wobbles if you poke it.
          Stop poking at it.
          I hear about folks that put a humbucker in a strat. Taint right I tell ya.

What are you running that guitar through?

Comment

Comment

nice

Comment

I use drill bits for that. They come in enough sizes you can usually find something close enough, within 1/32". Easier than using feeler gauges. When I owned a Strat I set the pickups as low as I could get away with. It helped eliminate Stratitis and made the guitar easier to tune.
                Last edited by DeepEnd; 10-15-2018, 03:33 PM.
                Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
                Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
                Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
                Member of the Schecter Society
                Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Years ago before the interwebz and before I had the Dan Erliwine book, I marked out my own little measuring device and took it in a music store that sold Fenders and was know for having everything set up right . I measured several AmStand Strats when nobody was looking ...without even taking them off the hangers.
                  It's not about money or popularity , although some money would be nice.

Comment

It's not a lie if you believe it~ Art Vandalay
                    Free your mind, and your ass will follow~G. Clinton
                    When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger~Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by DeepEnd View Post
                      I use drill bits for that. They come in enough sizes you can usually find something close enough, within 1/32". Easier than using feeler gauges. When I owned a Strat I set the pickups as low as I could get away with. It helped eliminate Stratitis and made the guitar easier to tune.
                      Wait. Spacey said that he raised the pickups and it made it "Much more Straty sounding." You lowered the pickups to eliminate "Stratitis." What's going on here? Should a Strat sound like a Strat, or not?
                      "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
                      -- Bob Parks

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
                      -- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
                      -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
                      -- Theodore White

Comment

Originally posted by isaac42 View Post

Wait. Spacey said that he raised the pickups and it made it "Much more Straty sounding." You lowered the pickups to eliminate "Stratitis." What's going on here? Should a Strat sound like a Strat, or not?
                        "Stratitis" occurs when pickups are too close to the strings and set up a feedback loop. The magnets are actually acting on the moving string---not just sensing it, but actually causing oscillations. AKA "wolf tones".

Conversely, when pickups are too far from the strings, they don't get a good "read", and the tone can be thin and wimpy.

Gotta find that sweet spot.
                        Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend
                        Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read
                        -Groucho Marx

Comment

• AlamoJoe
                          AlamoJoe commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Truth....Careful...People might figure out you're smarter than you let on. Your secret is safe with me....Don't let Corny figure it out though

• Danocoustic
                          Danocoustic commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Didjoo just call me stoopid?

Fill yer hand, you sonofabitch

The Strat is a geetar with limited sounds and should be thrown into the chipper.

So just get a Line6 Variax and be done with it.
                        Originally posted by MrKnobs
                        God, that's beautiful man! And they say romance is dead!

Comment

• AlamoJoe
                          AlamoJoe commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The Redneck Strat Vengeance Drone has been deployed. Nice knowing you though....

​​​​​​ . .
                        Originally posted by MrKnobs
                        God, that's beautiful man! And they say romance is dead!

Comment

Originally posted by Danocoustic View Post
                          "Stratitis" occurs when pickups are too close to the strings and set up a feedback loop. The magnets are actually acting on the moving string---not just sensing it, but actually causing oscillations. AKA "wolf tones". . . .
                          Close. "Stratitis" happens when the pickup magnet pulls on the string hard enough to affect the pitch. I'm a lifelong acoustic guy and my Fernandes Strat was a rude awakening. I had it set up to Fender specs and I still had to deal with what appeared to be poor intonation. A little research and lowering the pickups minimized the problem. Turns out it's much more common than you'd think. For whatever reason, it doesn't happen with humbuckers, only single coils.
                          Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
                          Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
                          Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
                          Member of the Schecter Society
                          Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Working...
                          X