No announcement yet.

Music Arises from The Ruins of a City

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music Arises from The Ruins of a City

New guitars from recycled wood. Why do they look so much like guitars we already know?

https://money.cnn.com/2018/08/01/sma...ngs/index.html
    Workin' for the woman with money in her hand.

Because people have certain ideas of what a guitar is supposed to look like. Plus, they're not that creative. At least the headstock design shows some creativity. And frankly, $2200-3800 is a bit much for a guitar made from someone's front door. The first prototype cost $650 to make. I get making a profit but come on. Revenue is $100K+ a year for 50 guitars, which works out to >$2K per instrument. Cost of body wood is zero. That leaves necks, hardware and labor. Sorry but that better be a heck of a guitar.
    Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
    Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
    Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
    Member of the Schecter Society
    Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Innovative guitar styles just don't sell as well as the tried and true designs. People don't buy them at all, or won't pay as much.
      "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
      -- Bob Parks

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
      -- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
      -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
      -- Theodore White

Comment

Posted this a while back, Guitar made out of Whiskey Barrels.

I bet once you know the difference between whiskey and bourbon the guitars sound different too.

“Bourbon needs to be produced in America and made from 51 percent corn, and whiskey does not,” says Maker’s Mark Master Distiller Greg Davis. Bourbon also needs to be stored in new charred-oak barrels, whereas whiskey barrels do need to be oak but not new or charred. “Lastly, to be called bourbon, the liquid needs to be distilled to no more than 160 proof and entered into the barrel at 125.” For other whiskies the liquid must be distilled to no more than 190 proof. David notes that this isn’t just common practice — “it’s actual bourbon law.”
        http://www.jimbeam.com/en-us/behind-...bon-vs-whiskey

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

Squares have to have four equal sides. Rectangles do not. Yet squares are still rectangles, and bourbon is whiskey.
          "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
          -- Bob Parks

-- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
          -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
          -- Theodore White

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeo View Post
            Posted this a while back, Guitar made out of Whiskey Barrels. . . .

. . . I bet once you know the difference between whiskey and bourbon the guitars sound different too. . . .
            And for even greater levels of corksniffery, there will probably be some who claim to be able to hear the difference between rye and Scotch barrels. Others will simply play the damn guitars.
            Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
            Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
            Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
            Member of the Schecter Society
            Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Ya know, fellas, I got the skills to do what this mook is doing. Detroit's about an hour from here.

What if I built similar guitars and sold them for, say, $750-$1000?

Hmmm...
              *PRODUCE*CONSUME*OBEY*

Comment

Originally posted by Danocoustic View Post
                Ya know, fellas, I got the skills to do what this mook is doing. Detroit's about an hour from here.

What if I built similar guitars and sold them for, say, $750-$1000?

Hmmm...
                I don't know how they get away w/ the body shape. I mean it's a dead nuts copy of a Tele. They're not even tryin' to hide it. Weird.
                Workin' for the woman with money in her hand.

Comment

IIRC, only the headstock shapes are copyrighted.
                  -- Bob Parks

-- Oscar Wilde

-- Oscar Wilde

-- Theodore White

Comment

Working...
                  X