No announcement yet.

Replacing pick ups

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing pick ups

Havent done much. Put a set of fralin P90 in my lag. I always wish i could tv jones. May work in a few of mine

I replaced the volume pots and the pickups in my ES-333. Used higher resistance pots and Classic 57's. Re-soldered the whole circuit myself. Tricky but not technically challenging. Now I have a 335. Unofficially. Sounds great.
    Workin' for the woman with money in her hand.

Comment

Get a decent soldering iron, some solder and flux. It's not a major expenditure, and is easy to do.
      It's not a lie if you believe it~ Art Vandalay
      Free your mind, and your ass will follow~G. Clinton
      When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger~Confucius

Comment

I purchased exactly what I wanted at the time, and didn't mess with stuff.

I have 2 Gretsch guitars, but one has TV Jones pickups in it. The other has Filterons.

Nice pickups, with there own groove.

I did change the wiring on my 52 RI tele, as the original 52 neck pick up makes the guitar sound like mud. I think Leo was going for a jazz thing with that setup.

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

Originally posted by hammergjh View Post
          I replaced the volume pots and the pickups in my ES-333. Used higher resistance pots and Classic 57's. Re-soldered the whole circuit myself. Tricky but not technically challenging. Now I have a 335. Unofficially. Sounds great.
          What pot value were the originals? What value did you use?

Also---doesn't the 333 have an access hatch in the back? That's cheating
          Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend
          Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read
          -Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Danocoustic View Post

What pot value were the originals? What value did you use?

Also---doesn't the 333 have an access hatch in the back? That's cheating
            Neither the 333 or 335 or any of the hollow bodies have access to the volume and tone pots.

Everything is done through the f-holes or the pickup cavity.

I posted this yesterday to help a guy out over on the electric guitar section. He was having issues with the output jack. The best way to replace the vol/tone pots is was tubing, you slide on the pot shaft.

I love semi and Hollowbody guitars, but they are the most difficult to work on, electronics wise.

Check out the 3rd vid with the tubing.

Comment

[QUOTE=Mikeo;n32232957]

Neither the 333 or 335 or any of the hollow bodies have access to the volume and tone pots.

I believe you're mistaken about this, Mike. Wikipedia backs me up on this.

I've done MANY rewires/pickup replacements through the f-holes in hollow/semihollowbodies. But not a 333.

Last edited by Danocoustic; 05-19-2018, 04:25 AM.
              -Groucho Marx

Comment

[QUOTE=Danocoustic;n32232963]
                Originally posted by Mikeo View Post

I believe you're mistaken about this, Mike. Wikipedia backs me up on this.

I've done MANY rewires/pickup replacements through the f-holes in hollow/semihollowbodies. But not a 333.

Looks like you're right about the 333. I have the 335 and there's no plate on the back.
                Convenient, but fugly.
                Even the ES 330 has no backplate.

The 333 is a newer model, compared to the ES 335 which has been around since the late 50's.

To tell you the truth, I have actually never seen a 333, and I thought it was a finish difference. Looks like there's more to it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3511625283_3b485796cc_b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	32232973

Comment

[QUOTE=Mikeo;n32232972]
                  Originally posted by Danocoustic View Post

Looks like you're right about the 333. I have the 335 and there's no plate on the back.
                  Convenient, but fugly.
                  Even the ES 330 has no backplate.

The 333 is a newer model, compared to the ES 335 which has been around since the late 50's.

To tell you the truth, I have actually never seen a 333, and I thought it was a finish difference. Looks like there's more to it.

Name:	3511625283_3b485796cc_b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	32232973
                  I agree! It's fugly, and it's CHEATING!

I have a 60s 325 that I've modded the living sh!t out of. It differs from a 335 mostly in that it has minihumbuckers, and the controls, switch & jack are mounted on a plate. I moved the switch to the upper bout (like a LP), replaced the bridge pickup with a hotter one, installed a piezo bridge and preamp, replaced the tuners with pearloid tulips, cut a bone nut for it, put cream chickenhead knobs on it, moved the jack to the lower rim...made it what I want it to be.
                  -Groucho Marx

Comment

I have one of these Ibanez Artcores. The volume knob broke and I replaced all the electronics through the F hole. It was a challenge. Replaced the pickups with US Gibsons from an SG. Then I put locking tuners on it. It is now a really bad ass guitar. Kinda ridiculous to dump that much money and effort into an entry level guitar. The plan was to sell it but now it plays so nice I want to keep it.
                    https://media.giphy.com/media/FefeclRDem7II/giphy.gif

I has a new signiture gif bitches

Comment

Thats great. Always the anti- gib , fend guy here, but love 335. My hamer semi artist gets me there, but not the 335 thing

Comment

Originally posted by Stonedtone View Post

Thats great. Always the anti- gib , fend guy here, but love 335. My hamer semi artist gets me there, but not the 335 thing

I love my Gibby's and Fenders.

Classics.

Comment

Name:	IMG_1461.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	325.3 KB
ID:	32233342As Mikeo points out, it does have a VERY NICE access panel on the back. SOoooooo much easier to work on. The original pots were 300 ohms and I switched to 500 ohm pots. Overall the guitar sounds great.

And the Gibson Hollow bodies are total classics. I looked for several years for the Classic '57's, got the pair for just over $150 instead of $150 for each pickup. Such a deal.
                          Last edited by hammergjh; 05-19-2018, 03:37 PM.
                          Workin' for the woman with money in her hand.

Comment

Name:	IMG_1461.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	325.3 KB
ID:	32233342As Mikeo points out, it does have a VERY NICE access panel on the back. SOoooooo much easier to work on. The original pots were 300 ohms and I switched to 500 ohm pots. Overall the guitar sounds great.

And the Gibson Hollow bodies are total classics. I looked for several years for the Classic '57's, got the pair for just over $150 instead of $150 for each pickup. Such a deal.
                            I pointed that out, ya mook

Seriously, though---why 300ohm pots, I wonder? 490R/498T pickups originally, right?
                            -Groucho Marx

Comment

A lot to consider when thinking about replacing a pickup.

Last edited by Cornholio Farquarth III; 05-19-2018, 06:52 PM.
                              Originally posted by MrKnobs
                              God, that's beautiful man! And they say romance is dead!

Comment

Working...
                              X