No announcement yet.

Gun control

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by isaac42 View Post

Perhaps. But it was also a failure of people much closer to the situation, who were in a better position to see the danger. I imagine that the FBI gets a multitude of such warnings, and I think it's likely that they simply do not have the resources to follow up on all of them, perhaps even most. As for it not being caused by any lack of gun control, I beg to differ. With just a bit of common sense gun control, he would not have been able to legally buy the weapon used in the shooting. I expect things would have turned out rather differently in that case, but there's no way to know for sure.
    When I was in high school, there was a kid who was "off". Everyone knew he was an oddball. He was bullied a bit, but kept to himself. I truly think he was clinically schizophrenic. Anyway, he started talking about wanting to stab this other kid. He told everyone he was planning to do it. He went into meticulous detail on how he would do it. No one believed him. Me and my friends were telling everyone about this kid, not just that he was nuts, but that he actually planned to kill someone. . . . . . . . Then the day came.

A bunch of us had courses where we had to get to school before regular school opened. As usual, we were there at 6:30. As the odd kid had said over and over, he would lie in wait for the other kid. We saw the victim go into the boys room. The attacker was lurking in the shadows waiting for him to show up. He followed the victim in. In seconds, we heard a blood curdling scream. The attacker calmly walked out and left the area holding the blood drenched knife. He had blood on his hands and clothes too. The victim comes stumbling out of the boys room. We laid him on the floor and someone ran to get help. There were no cell phones then, so someone flat footed it to the administration office. The EMTs seemed to take forever to get there. The kid lost a ton of blood. He lost consciousness and we thought he was a goner. Fortunately he lived.

No one wanted to see the signs that this kid was a danger. Everyone talked about it, but the adults wouldn't do anything about it. If there's a bright side, at least he didn't shoot everyone in the school. He actually had two guns, but chose to use a knife.
    Originally posted by MrKnobs
    God, that's beautiful man! And they say romance is dead!

Comment

I didn't go to any school with armed guards. Different times. There was one kid in my bio class that brought a pistol to school. He was a whack job that just came back to the school after spending years in some reform metal institution. I saw it and told my buddy and neighborhood pal. His mom worked in the offices and they took him away that day. I never saw the kid again.

When I was in Jr High I joined the archery club, and brought my bow and arrow in every Thursday.
      Took it right on the school bus.

I was pretty good.

I would even mind have another bow, like a Bear Gizzly. Good old school re-curve, and it might be the best of the best in that category.

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

Cornholio, you illustrated perfectly, and from a personal experience the point I was trying to make.
        We have to get pro-active in these things. Quit worrying about people's feelings, or worrying about stigmatizing people if there are warning signs.

It's completely unrealistic to expect law enforcement to handle all of this. Did the FBI drop the ball? Maybe...Or maybe they are so overwhelmed with things to watch for and so understaffed as to make interception of every danger impossible.

It's up to the rest of us to help.

Comment

Originally posted by AlamoJoe View Post
          What I find unusual, is this kid was staying at a friends house...That it escaped all present, that this kid, who had been expelled, obviously had mental issues, was posting hateful schitt all over the Net...and had a AR-15...Wasn't a danger. These people are either seriously stupid, or seriously neglectful.
          The larger point being...His mental state was ignored. Had he gone to that school with a ball peen hammer and ended just one person's life with that, would that have been less tragic somehow?

The state of mental healthcare in this country has to be addressed as well. No one that does not have mental health issues is a danger with a firearm except to themselves.
          Would have been less tragic for all of the other people he wouldn't have killed, though just as bad for the one he would have.
          "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
          -- Bob Parks

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
          -- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
          -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
          -- Theodore White

Comment

And, at the risk of making a political post, I notice that the Reublicans, who constantly tell us that it's too soon to politicize these things, have wasted no time politicizing this one.
            "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
            -- Bob Parks

-- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
            -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
            -- Theodore White

Comment

Originally posted by isaac42 View Post
              And, at the risk of making a political post, I notice that the Reublicans, who constantly tell us that it's too soon to politicize these things, have wasted no time politicizing this one.
              Nor have the Democrats....They all make me sick and angry equally. They are all maneuvering swine...Both sides of the aisle.

Comment

It appears to me that the Democrats are trying to make things better. Trump used it to attack the FBI.
                So did Florida Governor Rick Scott, whose own government failed miserably to prevent this.
                What are the Democrats doing to politicize this? What would you suggest instead?
                -- Bob Parks

-- Oscar Wilde

-- Oscar Wilde

-- Theodore White

Comment

It's not the gun's fault he's a retard.
                  https://media1.tenor.com/images/b5a9...itemid=5785816

Comment

Originally posted by Daehtihs View Post
                    You should have to get a real gun license to purchase and own a firearm. To get a license you should have to be 21, pass a comprehensive gun training and safety class and a cognitive test not to mention a background test. You should not be able to legally purchase or sell without a license.
                    That's a valid point. But I bought my first rifle at Kmart at 16 years of age.
                    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a look at the American Indian" — Henry Ford

Comment

Do we make medical records public to the people selling guns?

Comment

Originally posted by hammergjh View Post
                        The biggest indicator of a potential mass shooter is that the perp is a white male. Basically all of them are with few exceptions.
                        Legally a mass shooting consists of an incident with four or more victims and I believe there are around 500 of these events per year, I have no racial data on the shooters though.

Comment

Working...
                        X