Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the most you would EVER pay for an instrument?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the most you would EVER pay for an instrument?

Me, I'm cheap.
    Probably $1500
    It's not a lie if you believe it~ Art Vandalay
    Free your mind, and your ass will follow~G. Clinton
    When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger~Confucius

Agreed. Paid $1400 each for my Gibson and my Strat. About a $1200 for my Larrivee acoustic. That's enough. I'm no pro.
    Workin' for the woman with money in her hand.

Comment

Guitar I'd stay under $500. Keyboards or drums, as far under 2K as possible. Now a guitar amp, no comment.
      Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

Tree fiddy.
        Originally posted by MrKnobs
        God, that's beautiful man! And they say romance is dead!

Comment

This day in age.
          It depends.
          I'll give a 20 grand for this.

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com...BoCHzAQAvD_BwE

The most expensive instrument I have at this point in time is a Gibson F5G mandolin.
          Gibson's chief mandolin builder David Harvey made it for me.
          I'm not even the greatest mandolin player out there, but when I want the sound of a killer mandolin, believe me it's there. Can't fault a great instrument because of my ability or lack of it.

I have a criteria when I'm buying an instrument. The instrument need to be a great representation of the tones I want it to deliver. So if it's a tele, it needs to sound like a tele, or if it's an ES335 it needs to be the best of what the ES 335 has to offer, in feel and tone. I also like it be American craftsmanship. Peoples in the USA need jobs, and I am willing pay a bit more to make sure they have them. However I have 2 Gretsch's that were made in Japan. You can't touch the USA made Gretsch stuff out of the Custom shop with out selling a kidney and a lung. My bar slinger 52 tele RI is was MIJ, around the time about the time when CBS sold the company to Bill Schultz.l Schultz was having a difficult time producing the instruments he wanted in the USA. and went to Japan.

Older vintage and U.S. built Fender guitars are generally the most favored, but pre-1990 Fender Japan guitars are now highly regarded as well.

I also like guitars that increase in value over time. If it happens all the better.

With that being said and god forbid if my wife and I had to make a getaway out of the house in seconds flat. Our plan is to grab both kitties and and 3 cat urns I have. The rest of the stuff is stuff.

I like good music gear, but I love my wife and cats.

My living room dick around guitar is a Taylor GS mini mahogany.
          I like it cause it small and I can write song with it at my desk.
          I may grab something else for a while, depending on what I fancy for the day or week.

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

lotsa $ when my ship comes in
            relative shift decimal point to the right
            income vs outcome

Comment

I paid $1000 for my Martin in 85. It would cost more than double that now to replace it.
              i paid $2400 for my Mastertone banjo in 94. A new one is at least $1000 more now.
              i have around $1200 in my upright bass, cost plus improvements. If I had to replace it I would consider going up to $3000 or so for the right one, but hopefully I could be happy for under $2000 for a quality plywood instument.

Electric guitars I’ve never paid more than $800-900. Usually a lot less. But I would pay the going rate for a new Pro-Line Gretsch. Other than that, $1500 or so would be my limit, for a USA Fender or custom builder guitar.

mikeo, I’m glad I’m a crappy mandolin player. I make do with a $300 one, but all I use it for is learning fiddle tunes before attempting them on fiddle.
              The only times I’ve played it live was plugged in in a rock band context. If I wanted a great mando I’d be out $5000-$6000.
              BTW my friend has 2 Michael Kimminger Nuggets. Of course he started with his first one in the early 1980s. Just took delivery of his third mando which is a Gilchrist about 6 months ago.
              Last edited by Pine Apple Slim; 02-07-2018, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pine Apple Slim View Post
                I paid $1000 for my Martin in 85. It would cost more than double that now to replace it.
                i paid $2400 for my Mastertone banjo in 94. A new one is at least $1000 more now.
                i have around $1200 in my upright bass, cost plus improvements. If I had to replace it I would consider going up to $3000 or so for the right one, but hopefully I could be happy for under $2000 for a quality plywood instument.

Electric guitars I’ve never paid more than $800-900. Usually a lot less. But I would pay the going rate for a new Pro-Line Gretsch. Other than that, $1500 or so would be my limit, for a USA Fender or custom builder guitar.

mikeo, I’m glad I’m a crappy mandolin player. I make do with a $300 one, but all I use it for is learning fiddle tunes before attempting them on fiddle.
                The only times I’ve played it live was plugged in in a rock band context. If I wanted a great mando I’d be out $5000-$6000.
                BTW my friend has 2 Michael Kimminger Nuggets. Of course he started with his first one in the early 1980s. Just took delivery of his third mando which is a Gilchrist about 6 months ago.
                The Gibson is only my second mandolin ever. For 25 years I only had a Flatiron A model Performer. I think it was under 5 bills when I bought it new. It's a nice mandolin made in Bozeman MT, right in the same plant as the Gibson stuff from that era.

At the time F models were about 1200 bucks and I said, who in there right mind would pay that much for a little dinky thing like that.

Nice carved maple back and carved spruce top.

It came from the Fretted Instrument Workshop in Northampton MA

The Gibson is a lil more powerful and warmer, and has that classic Gibson bark.

I got the strap there too. Rory Blocks dad Allen had a leather shop at one time. He signed it, but his names is now almost faded away.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Flatiron A model Performer front.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	32159916

Name:	Flatiron A model Performer back.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	32159917

Comment

The Gibson F5G

Name:	Gibson F5G front.jpg
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	32159921

Name:	Gibson F5G Back 2.jpg
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	32159922

Comment

I remember Flatiron. Great affordable mandolins. My friend has a Flatiron Army/Navy from before he bought his first Nugget. The A and F models were fine bargains. Then Gibson bought the factory and they went away. Another reason to hate Henrys Gibson company.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeo View Post
                      This day in age.
                      It depends.
                      I'll give a 20 grand for this.

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com...BoCHzAQAvD_BwE

Comment

Originally posted by tuco View Post

Here's another good one.

https://reverb.com/p/gibson-les-paul...E&hfid=5315967

even better
                        https://reverb.com/item/2933713-gibs...-standard-1960
                        Last edited by Mikeo; 02-07-2018, 03:00 PM.

Comment

I'm cheap. Probably $400-500. There's a '91 Les Paul Studio Lite on the local (St. Louis) Craigslist right now for $400. If I played electric more I should jump on it but again I'm cheap and I don't need another guitar, especially an electric.
                          Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
                          Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
                          Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
                          Member of the Schecter Society
                          Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Not a decent new trumpet, sax, or trombone can found for less than $2500.
                            Everybody is terminally ill.

Comment

Originally posted by Cornholio Farquarth III View Post
                              Tree fiddy.
                              You can barely get a Line6 with that

Comment

Working...
                              X