No announcement yet.

Moms are not doing well.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moms are not doing well.

No significant change for my mother. She's still in slow decline.

My mother-in-law, however, had a bad week last week. She's always had a slow heartbeat, generally in the 40s. On Monday, her pulse went down to 32. Off to the hospital. Surgery Tuesday to install a pacemaker. Back home on Wednesday. My wife called Thursday to see how she was, and was told that she was being loaded into an ambulance again. Seems she had a stroke. Turns out, not a particularly bad one. She can still speak, if softly. She slurs her words a bit, but she did before, due to another, earlier stroke. All in all, she seems to be recovering nicely, but, on the other hand, she's 87 or so. Can't keep recovering forever.
    "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
    -- Bob Parks

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
    -- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
    -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
    -- Theodore White

Originally posted by isaac42 View Post
    No significant change for my mother. She's still in slow decline.

My mother-in-law, however, had a bad week last week. She's always had a slow heartbeat, generally in the 40s. On Monday, her pulse went down to 32. Off to the hospital. Surgery Tuesday to install a pacemaker. Back home on Wednesday. My wife called Thursday to see how she was, and was told that she was being loaded into an ambulance again. Seems she had a stroke. Turns out, not a particularly bad one. She can still speak, if softly. She slurs her words a bit, but she did before, due to another, earlier stroke. All in all, she seems to be recovering nicely, but, on the other hand, she's 87 or so. Can't keep recovering forever.
    Bummer.
    Sucks to be old, ask me how I know.
    Last edited by tuco; 12-30-2017, 01:47 AM.
    It's not a lie if you believe it~ Art Vandalay
    Free your mind, and your ass will follow~G. Clinton
    When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger~Confucius

Comment

Damn, this sort of news is always tough to hear.
      Workin' for the woman with money in her hand.

Comment

Originally posted by tuco View Post
        Bummer.
        Sucks to be old, ask me how I know.
        It ain't easy.
        "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
        -- Bob Parks

-- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
        -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
        -- Theodore White

Comment

Originally posted by hammergjh View Post
          Damn, this sort of news is always tough to hear.
          I appreciate you guys being here to listen. It makes it a little easier.
          -- Bob Parks

-- Oscar Wilde

-- Oscar Wilde

-- Theodore White

Comment

On the plus side, this also means that both my wife and I come from long lived stock. Her father lived to 86 and her mother is 87. My mother is also 87 and my father 90. So I figure I may well have another thirty years left.

Or, I could be hit by a car tomorrow. Who knows?
            -- Bob Parks

-- Oscar Wilde

-- Oscar Wilde

-- Theodore White

Comment

That's tough to go through, as many of us have been there. Hoping for the best for everyone.
              Originally posted by MrKnobs
              God, that's beautiful man! And they say romance is dead!

Comment

Sorry to hear it. Mojo sent.
                Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
                Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
                Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
                Member of the Schecter Society
                Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

A bit of positive news on the MIL front. She has agreed to move into town, to an assisted living facility. This way, should something happen again, she won't be miles out of town with a driveway that is impassable if it snows. Her daughter who has become her default caretaker can resume her life. Good news all around, as far as it goes. Still, we can all see that the end is coming, probably fairly soon.
                  -- Bob Parks

-- Oscar Wilde

-- Oscar Wilde

-- Theodore White

Comment

A bit of positive news on the MIL front. She has agreed to move into town, to an assisted living facility. This way, should something happen again, she won't be miles out of town with a driveway that is impassable if it snows. Her daughter who has become her default caretaker can resume her life. Good news all around, as far as it goes. Still, we can all see that the end is coming, probably fairly soon.
                    The assisted living is the way to go. That way she gets 24 hour coverage. In my mom's case, I brought in 24 hour care, so she could stay in her own house her last 6 months.

Comment

We are all doomed.
                      It's not a lie if you believe it~ Art Vandalay
                      Free your mind, and your ass will follow~G. Clinton
                      When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger~Confucius

Comment

Assisted Living is the best choice for a lot of folks. The last years of my mother's life were in such facilities, after her dementia got so bad that my wife and I simply couldn't do it all for her anymore. My wife quit her job just to keep her home with us....Once the stroke hit her that took what was left of her essence really, we had to relent. The last two years of her life were spent just keeping her body alive...She already vacated.
                        That's the kicker about longer life spans....The longer you live, the easier you break, the more you break, the less joy there is in your life.

Comment

Originally posted by tuco View Post
                          We are all doomed.
                          Yes. Yes, we are.
                          -- Bob Parks

-- Oscar Wilde

-- Oscar Wilde

-- Theodore White

Comment

Originally posted by AlamoJoe View Post
                            Assisted Living is the best choice for a lot of folks. The last years of my mother's life were in such facilities, after her dementia got so bad that my wife and I simply couldn't do it all for her anymore. My wife quit her job just to keep her home with us....Once the stroke hit her that took what was left of her essence really, we had to relent. The last two years of her life were spent just keeping her body alive...She already vacated.
                            That's the kicker about longer life spans....The longer you live, the easier you break, the more you break, the less joy there is in your life.
                            Not much of my mother left. MIL is a bit better. Both are, to be crude, circling the drain.
                            -- Bob Parks

-- Oscar Wilde

-- Oscar Wilde

-- Theodore White

Comment

Not much of my mother left. MIL is a bit better. Both are, to be crude, circling the drain.
                              We'll all get our chance too.

Comment

Working...
                              X