No announcement yet.

Over-the-counter pain relievers...

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over-the-counter pain relievers...

I went to the store today looking for one and was trying to decide between Tylenol and Our Family Non-Aspirin Acetaminophen (ultra generic). They both had the exact same active ingredient (500 mg Acetaminophen), but the Our Family one was 1/3 of the price. They both had different inactive ingredients. So would there be any reason to go with the Tylenol?

No

Comment

Nah. Drugs are one of the few things where the cheaper and more generic it is, the better. There is no difference in actual quality of the drug, thanks to the federal pharamceutical regulations. You can't sell something as acetaminophen without it meeting those regulations to the letter.

That's why name brands like tylenol are always figuring out fancier ways of dispensing it. Remember the commercials advertising that gel caps are more slippery than regular pills? They do that because that's they only way they can say "we're better than the competition".

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler1
        Nah. Drugs are one of the few things where the cheaper and more generic it is, the better. There is no difference in actual quality of the drug, thanks to the federal pharamceutical regulations. You can't sell something as acetaminophen without it meeting those regulations to the letter.

That's why name brands like tylenol are always figuring out fancier ways of dispensing it. Remember the commercials advertising that gel caps are more slippery than regular pills? They do that because that's they only way they can say "we're better than the competition".

I will say that Tylenol does taste better. But who the hell buys it for taste?

Comment

you're supposed to swallow it....

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler1

They can legally be off by 10 percent on the ingredients and use different fillers , I avoid generics all I can .

Comment

Originally posted by AtomHeartMother
              I went to the store today looking for one and was trying to decide between Tylenol and Our Family Non-Aspirin Acetaminophen (ultra generic). They both had the exact same active ingredient (500 mg Acetaminophen), but the Our Family one was 1/3 of the price. They both had different inactive ingredients. So would there be any reason to go with the Tylenol?

Advil

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Shred

Advil

It's just as expensive.

They can legally be off by 10 percent on the ingredients and use different fillers , I avoid generics all I can .

Well, as long as the "fillers" aren't harmful to me, I really don't care. If I get 450 mg instead of 500, it's not a big deal. I'd rather pay 1/3 of the price of Tylenol.

Comment

Working...
                X