No announcement yet.

What about guitar cables ?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about guitar cables ?

Sound/tone experts, what kind of cable do you use ?

Do you hear differences ?

I use a good one, it actually isn't made for music, and I heard the difference when I used a different one.

I'm planning a blind test on this.

Any experiences ?

Originally posted by Headbanger
    Sound/tone experts, what kind of cable do you use ?

Do you hear differences ?

I use a good one, it actually isn't made for music, and I heard the difference when I used a different one.

I'm planning a blind test on this.

Any experiences on this ?

I've done a lot of blind listening tests both live and recorded.

I use the top of the line Monster Cable (the Studio Pro 1000) because I used to work there and I get them for $10-$15 each. They sound good. The tip ends are **************** and if I had to pay full price for them I would probably use something else. There's a lot of marketing behind most high end cables, but they often will improve your overall tone when used properly...you just need to ignore the hype and use your ears.

I also use George L's to patch my pedals together.

Bottom line, if it sounds good it is good. Good cables will make a difference in your tone and feel.

Comment

Originally posted by Ty Gerhardt

I've done a lot of blind listening tests both live and recorded.

Bottom line, if it sounds good it is good. Good cables will make a difference in your tone and feel.

Which one are you playing then ?

Comment

Originally posted by Headbanger

Which one are you playing then ?

See above.

Comment

Before auditioning high end cables, you should liten to ultra-cheap engineering ones.
          Hail Homer! Blessed is he among men and blessed is the fruit of his loins Bart.

Comment

Originally posted by TubeAddict
            Before auditioning high end cables, you should liten to ultra-cheap engineering ones.

Hell, audition both if you can get your hands on them. Have a friend or two come over and listen too.

Comment

In a Guitar Player shootout, Carvins SH-15 cable tested very close to George L.
              And they have the Carvin cool factor.

Comment

Hell, audition both if you can get your hands on them. Have a friend or two come over and listen too.

On some things, cables really make a difference. . .especially when it comes to noise. The rolloff characteristics are typically much less than the amps.

Comment

I can't tell any difference between various makes of cables. It either works or it doesn't. As long as it doesn't pop, it's good to go.
                  It's not about money or popularity , although some money would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by ninja of love
                    In a Guitar Player shootout, Carvins SH-15 cable tested very close to George L.
                    And they have the Carvin cool factor.

How close is "very close"?

Comment

RCH

Comment

Close enough for me to be a cheap bastard.

Comment

I use a generic Earnie Ball cable that has one "L" shaped connector 'cause my ES-333 has the female connector on the front of the guitar. My old instructor had some Monster cables which wouldn't fit in my Gibson!

Cables can make a difference, I know this due to some cable switching I've done in my stereo. Monster cables are pretty much considered crap in Hifi land.
                          Workin' for the woman with money in her hand.

Comment

Originally posted by ninja of love
                            Close enough for me to be a cheap bastard.

George L Cables actually aren't that expensive. $1 per foot and $4-5 bucks each for the tip ends. That's hardly breaking the bank.

Comment

George L Cables actually aren't that expensive. $1 per foot and $4-5 bucks each for the tip ends. That's hardly breaking the bank.
                              Next time.

Comment

Working...
                              X