No announcement yet.

It’s Never Too Late to Start a Brilliant Career

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Easy Listener View Post

Nope. What I'm saying is that I am smarter than I was when I was young, as is pretty much everyone that has not suffered brain damage or heavy drug use since then.

Think of it like this: I see a lot of fat people, but I don't make a habit of telling fat people they are fat - unless they are part of the "Fat is beautiful and in my face about it" movement.
    yet another analogy that makes no sense

Did you think you were smarter than everyone else when you were young or not?

Comment

Rationale: Brain not fully developed until around age 25. "Executive" function not fully developed. The ability to plan, think long term, etc.
      I disagree, I believe that a person that can join (or be drafted) into a nation's military should have the right to vote. "Executive" function fully developed or not.

Comment

We reach peak neural performance around 25. After that, a number of matters of acuity (especially speed and creativity) usually decrease; WISDOM will likely continue to accrue, but neural plasticity and a number of other factors decrease. Being “smart” is a combo of physiology and experience, and I do think I’m WISER than I was back when. But there’s a lot I can’t do the same and could not learn nearly as easily.

Im aiming to start a new career at 39. My performance on entrance exams last year was markedly slower/worse than when I was 17. (Though my age is definitely not the only factor.).... I also need much more sleep these days darnit.

Others pointed to musicians. I’ll point to Einstein. He had his has his “Anna mirabilis,” the most groundbreaking discoveries conceived and mathematically proven in his head, at age 26.

Regardless, it’s good to hear some encouragement that my life isn’t over yet!
        Last edited by arcadesonfire; 06-18-2019, 01:59 PM.
        For those who prefer to listen rather than read and who ask these questions: What underlying crimes were being investigated when Trump obstructed justice? Why wasn't he indicted? Why did Mueller discuss indicting a sitting president in Volume II but not Volume I?
        https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Muell...ook/B07PXN468K

My (old dead) band!:
        www.steelphantoms.com/
        PM me if you want to give me a Deluxe US Strat with locking tuners and 22 frets for <$800. Fancy Strymon pedals welcome too!

Comment

Originally posted by Vito Corleone View Post

yet another analogy that makes no sense
          Make of it what you will.
          Did you think you were smarter than everyone else when you were young or not?
          I thought i was smarter than some and dumber than others. Math was so easy it was ridiculous. English, not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by roughtrade View Post

I disagree, I believe that a person that can join (or be drafted) into a nation's military should have the right to vote. "Executive" function fully developed or not.
            I don't see it that way. I did back during the vietnam war, but I've revised my thinking - probably because my brain matured past the age of 25. My "executive" processes had fully developed. You don't need it to fight in the military. You do need it to make wise decisions in the voting booth.

Your logic is what caused a lot of states to lower the drinking age to 18, only to increase it later.

Comment

Old men start wars...……..young men die in them. Where's the wisdom and logic in that?
              (The US will not survive the obama presidency. The world may not either.) Cuban Leaf

Comment

Originally posted by fretmess View Post
                Old men start wars...……..young men die in them. Where's the wisdom and logic in that?
                That's because the old men are in charge. Personally, I think it would be much worse if young men are in charge. In fact, in days of old was it not typical for leaders to be not all that old?

Comment

If we barred people under 25 from voting, wouldn’t we need to stop taxing them? “No taxation without representation.”

And if we were to argue that people under 25 are all too dumb to vote, then we could also argue that only people with certain grades or SAT scores or whatever should be allowed to vote, cuz otherwise they’re too dumb.

We could also point to trends in how neural factors (such as memory) tend to decrease in older age and thereby argue that there should be an age cap on voting.

With this (and more) in mind, the idea that we should raise the voting age seems ill-founded. (And it’s predicated on a misunderstanding of neural development.)
                  Last edited by arcadesonfire; 06-18-2019, 02:31 PM.
                  For those who prefer to listen rather than read and who ask these questions: What underlying crimes were being investigated when Trump obstructed justice? Why wasn't he indicted? Why did Mueller discuss indicting a sitting president in Volume II but not Volume I?

My (old dead) band!:
                  www.steelphantoms.com/
                  PM me if you want to give me a Deluxe US Strat with locking tuners and 22 frets for <$800. Fancy Strymon pedals welcome too!

Comment

I did

I thought i was smarter than some and dumber than others. Math was so easy it was ridiculous. English, not so much.
                    What about older folks? Did you think you knew more than they did?

Comment

That's because the old men are in charge. Personally, I think it would be much worse if young men are in charge. In fact, in days of old was it not typical for leaders to be not all that old?
                      Forget old men. What if old women were in charge? Heck, it doesn't have to be old women. Just put women of all ages in charge and the world would be better for it.

Make of that what you will and I trust you will EL.
                      (The US will not survive the obama presidency. The world may not either.) Cuban Leaf

Comment

I wonder how you would’ve felt in honors calc III with Sandy Grabiner. I entered college with a chip on shoulder. This class swiftly crushed it and sprinkled it away like the thinnest of Lay’s salty snacks. Oh the brutality!
                        Last edited by arcadesonfire; 06-18-2019, 05:13 PM.

My (old dead) band!:
                        www.steelphantoms.com/

Comment

I can relate to the article. 26 was a bad year. I had a nowhere job, no girlfriend, etc. But I was a manager in my early 30's and wrote my first song at 50.
                          Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
                          Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
                          Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
                          Member of the Schecter Society
                          Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Originally posted by roughtrade View Post

Bob Dylan had 6 albums out before he was 25.
                            Right place, right time, right music.
                            - The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it. - H.L. Mencken

Citizens and Residents Of The United States and U.S Persons - USA PATRIOT Act Notice: You are hereby notified that under the provisions of the USA PATRIOT Act, you may be placed under electronic surveillance while viewing this or any other similar web site by intelligence or law enforcement agencies at any time or for any purpose for which they may deem fit, without your knowledge or permission and without the order or supervision of any court of law. As the provisions of the Act strictly prohibit, with fines and imprisonment, the managers of this site from disclosing such surveillance should it become known to us, you should assume that you are under surveillance while viewing this or any other similar web site, electronic mail or any other form of electronic communication related thereto.

Comment

Einstein published his Theory of Relativity when he was 25. The Beatles broke up before they were 30. Jimi Hendrix was dead at 27 and Mozart at 35.

i would Imagine that if you catalogued all the great artists of the world, that you would find more were at their most creative and inventive before the age of 30 than after.
                              Last edited by Vito Corleone; 06-18-2019, 04:40 PM.

Comment

The article: It’s Never Too Late to Start a Brilliant Career

This is a fascinating look at how and when the average human brain matures and reaches peaks of productivity/usefulness. It speaks to why I think the voting age should be 25 as well as offers hope to twenty-somethings that think they are never going to accomplish much.

It also explains the sincerity of the back-handed compliment us older guys sometimes shower on younger guys: "I like you. You remind me of myself when I was young and stupid."

As a 75 year old, I can relate to what it is saying about the human brain. One of the interesting things is that I believe it explains how we can live in a world where a very high IQ person can work for a "lower IQ" guy that has become a multimillionaire. IQ is but one measurement of brain function.And many of those functions drastically improve with age. Personally, I've experienced it.

Any way, I thought this was actually a very instructional, interesting, motivational and uplifting article about how we think.

Enjoy!
                                I subscribe to the theory that success is more a function of high EQ vs high IQ.

Folks with higher emotional intelligence tend to outperform/out earn folks with just high IQ.

Comment

Working...
                                X