It’s Never Too Late to Start a Brilliant Career

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It’s Never Too Late to Start a Brilliant Career

The article: It’s Never Too Late to Start a Brilliant Career

This is a fascinating look at how and when the average human brain matures and reaches peaks of productivity/usefulness. It speaks to why I think the voting age should be 25 as well as offers hope to twenty-somethings that think they are never going to accomplish much.

It also explains the sincerity of the back-handed compliment us older guys sometimes shower on younger guys: "I like you. You remind me of myself when I was young and stupid."

As a 75 year old, I can relate to what it is saying about the human brain. One of the interesting things is that I believe it explains how we can live in a world where a very high IQ person can work for a "lower IQ" guy that has become a multimillionaire. IQ is but one measurement of brain function.And many of those functions drastically improve with age. Personally, I've experienced it.

Any way, I thought this was actually a very instructional, interesting, motivational and uplifting article about how we think.

Enjoy!

Originally posted by Easy Listener View Post

This is a fascinating look at how and when the average human brain matures and reaches peaks of productivity/usefulness. It speaks to why I think the voting age should be 25 as well as offers hope to twenty-somethings that think they are never going to accomplish much.

It also explains the sincerity of the back-handed compliment us older guys sometimes shower on younger guys: "I like you. You remind me of myself when I was young and stupid."

As a 75 year old, I can relate to what it is saying about the human brain. One of the interesting things is that I believe it explains how we can live in a world where a very high IQ person can work for a "lower IQ" guy that has become a multimillionaire. IQ is but one measurement of brain function.And many of those functions drastically improve with age. Personally, I've experienced it.

Any way, I thought this was actually a very instructional, interesting, motivational and uplifting article about how we think.

Enjoy!
    Bob Dylan had 6 albums out before he was 25.

Comment

Enjoy!
      That statement never stops being insulting.There is nothing complimentary about it.
      And is never quite so clever, IMHO.
      It smacks of the boorish old fart who thinks he knows it all.
      To you I'm an atheist; but to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition.

Originally posted by -NPC-;n32500008

Trump is not creepy. He is lovable and charming.

Comment

Originally posted by roughtrade View Post

Bob Dylan had 6 albums out before he was 25.
        Yep. That's what made him special, musically. His work far surpassed his age. Such lyrics from so few years of life experience was amazing.

But prodigy's don't really count.

Comment

Originally posted by RogueGnome View Post
          That statement never stops being insulting.There is nothing complimentary about it.
          And is never quite so clever, IMHO.
          It smacks of the boorish old fart who thinks he knows it all.
          That's why it is "backhanded". I've actually read posts from young guys here that were idiotic, yet belied a better understanding of how the world works than I had at their age - and their thought process, though dead wrong, was similar to mine at that age.

So sure, it will always be taken as an insult, but as the person matures and reflects on it, they will get what the "old guy" was saying.

I say that as an old guy that was insulted by old guys when I was young. I came to realize, as I matured, that many of them were right. Of course, some people never mature. Hence the phrase, "With age comes wisdom, but sometimes age comes alone."
          Last edited by Easy Listener; 06-18-2019, 10:58 AM.

Comment

That's why it is "backhanded". I've actually read posts from young guys here that were idiotic, yet belied a better understanding of how the world works than I had at their age - and their thought process, though dead wrong, was similar to mine at that age.

So sure, it will always be taken as an insult, but as the person matures and reflects on it, they will get what the "old guy" was saying.

I say that as an old guy that was insulted by old guys when I was young. I came to realize, as I matured, that many of them were right. Of course, some people never mature. Hence the phrase, "With age comes wisdom, but sometimes age comes alone."
            Yeah, I'm pretty sure I understand the 'concept' of the 'backhanded compliment'.

I'm an old guy and I would never dream of saying that to a young man or woman with promise and enthusiasm.
            It's arrogant and obnoxious.
            To you I'm an atheist; but to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition.

Originally posted by -NPC-;n32500008

Trump is not creepy. He is lovable and charming.

Comment

Originally posted by RogueGnome View Post
              Yeah, I'm pretty sure I understand the 'concept' of the 'backhanded compliment'.

I'm an old guy and I would never dream of saying that to a young man or woman with promise and enthusiasm.
              It's arrogant and obnoxious.
              I agree. I've used it maybe twice in my life. It's kinda like a gun. You rarely, if ever, need it. But sometimes it is necessary and the target so righteously deserves it.

Comment

I agree. I've used it maybe twice in my life. It's kinda like a gun. You rarely, if ever, need it. But sometimes it is necessary and the target so righteously deserves it.
                I’ve seen you use it here several times.

Are you lying? Or just getting forgetful in your old age.

Comment

My brain still tells my body to do things it can't do any more. The it laughs at my hurting body.

Comment

Originally posted by Vito Corleone View Post

I’ve seen you use it here several times.

Are you lying? Or just getting forgetful in your old age.
                    This is the only place I've ever used it. And I think "several" is a stretch, though I may have included the phrase as something I'm talking about rather than pointing it at someone.

But it generally applies to all young people. It's what being young is all about. It's that age where you are aware you know a lot more than you knew five years ago but haven't yet realized that most people older than you reached that point and have built on it - considerably so. i.e. you seem so smart compared to before, but are forgetting how dumb you are compared to the future you (and many people currently the age of the future you).

Comment

Originally posted by bildo View Post
                      My brain still tells my body to do things it can't do any more. The it laughs at my hurting body.

Reminds me of the phrase I recently heard: "I used to believe that my brain is my most important organ, but then I realized it was my brain telling me that."

Comment

This is the only place I've ever used it. And I think "several" is a stretch, though I may have included the phrase as something I'm talking about rather than pointing it at someone.
                        i thought that was just you being backhanded

But it generally applies to all young people. It's what being young is all about. It's that age where you are aware you know a lot more than you knew five years ago but haven't yet realized that most people older than you reached that point and have built on it - considerably so. i.e. you seem so smart compared to before, but are forgetting how dumb you are compared to the future you (and many people currently the age of the future you).
                        So basically what you are saying here is that you thought you were smarter than everyone when you were young, and now that you realize you weren’t then, you still believe you are now.

Comment

Yep. That's what made him special, musically. His work far surpassed his age. Such lyrics from so few years of life experience was amazing.

But prodigy's don't really count.
                          They don't provide rationale for allowing 18 year-olds to vote? Not to mention that your age group has a passion for sending 18 year-olds to war.

Comment

Originally posted by Vito Corleone View Post

i thought that was just you being backhanded

So basically what you are saying here is that you thought you were smarter than everyone when you were young, and now that you realize you weren’t then, you still believe you are now.
                            Nope. What I'm saying is that I am smarter than I was when I was young, as is pretty much everyone that has not suffered brain damage or heavy drug use since then.

Think of it like this: I see a lot of fat people, but I don't make a habit of telling fat people they are fat - unless they are part of the "Fat is beautiful and in my face about it" movement.
                            Last edited by Easy Listener; 06-18-2019, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by roughtrade View Post

They don't provide rationale for allowing 18 year-olds to vote? Not to mention that your age group has a passion for sending 18 year-olds to war.
                              Rationale: Brain not fully developed until around age 25. "Executive" function not fully developed. The ability to plan, think long term, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X