No announcement yet.

A Troll Thread

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Troll Thread

Some people troll in little boats for fun and fishing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	trolling-motor.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	32537039

Name:	1.jpg
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	32537040

Others troll in bigger boats for shrimp and profit.

Troll or trawl?

Comment

Originally posted by nedezero1 View Post
      Troll or trawl?
      Both, actually. The words are more or less interchangeable, depending on what rig you use.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Badger View Post

Both, actually. The words are more or less interchangeable, depending on what rig you use.
        Well technically the guy in the first pic is using a "trolling motor" to move his boat around whilst he fishes. He's not really "trolling" per se.

The second pic is actually "trawling" where a net is dragged along the bottom.

"Trolling" is the practice of pulling a lure or lures behind a boat in the hopes of having fish mistake the action of the lures created by the motion of the boat as a fleeing or injured bait fish (or squid).

So

"Trawling" - pulling nets or baited longlines.

"Trolling" - pulling individual lures.

Comment

The only trolling I ever did was powered by oars. KISS
          Worked pretty well too.
          George Washington was the man who never told a lie. Richard Nixon was the man who never told the truth. Donald Trump is the man who doesn't know the difference.
          Venezuela is what happens when you have Trump without the Madison.

Comment

You wanna see my dream trawler?
            It's been for sale for about a year - $140,000. Fully restored. Sure is cute. Problem is, it's wood; and to use it I'd have to cross The Graveyard of the Pacific - the Columbia River bar.

Name:	1.jpg
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	32537105
            George Washington was the man who never told a lie. Richard Nixon was the man who never told the truth. Donald Trump is the man who doesn't know the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by nedezero1 View Post

Well technically the guy in the first pic is using a "trolling motor" to move his boat around whilst he fishes. He's not really "trolling" per se.

The second pic is actually "trawling" where a net is dragged along the bottom.

"Trolling" is the practice of pulling a lure or lures behind a boat in the hopes of having fish mistake the action of the lures created by the motion of the boat as a fleeing or injured bait fish (or squid).

So

"Trawling" - pulling nets or baited longlines.

"Trolling" - pulling individual lures.
              Truth is beauty, beauty is truth, I'm playing with words.

But if you're going to be sticky about it, here's one just for you.

Name:	DmWOr94UwAAzwQG.jpg
Size:	285.1 KB
ID:	32537140
              Last edited by Mister Badger; 06-18-2019, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Here's mine...

Name:	241_so.jpg
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	32537157
                Democratic DOO DAH Dance every Saturday night! Advanced tickets $5 or $10 at the door.
                Bring a republican and get half off!

Comment

Originally posted by panhandler View Post
                  Here's mine...

Name:	241_so.jpg
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	32537157
                  Lolz I have an Icelandic troll figurine just like that except he's holding an electric guitar.

Comment

Name:	3334_01.jpg
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	32537411
                    Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

Here's what comes to mind.

Last edited by Cornholio Farquarth III; 06-18-2019, 05:58 PM.
                      Originally posted by MrKnobs
                      God, that's beautiful man! And they say romance is dead!

Comment

Originally posted by Hoot Owl View Post
                        You wanna see my dream trawler?
                        It's been for sale for about a year - $140,000. Fully restored. Sure is cute. Problem is, it's wood; and to use it I'd have to cross The Graveyard of the Pacific - the Columbia River bar.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	127.8 KB ID:	32537105
                        And move to Astoria so you won't have as far to go to meet your demise in that treacherous water. But at least you can go to Ft Clatsop for a day before you head for the open sea. BTW, I really like halibut.
                        Last edited by Yakburger; 06-18-2019, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakburger View Post

And move to Astoria so you won't have as far to go to meet your demise in that treacherous water. But at least you can go to Ft Clatsop for a day before you head for the open sea. BTW, I really like halibut.
                          Astoria is nice. I like it there. Drove up to Westport recently too. Lots of boats there. But man, come a tsunami and a lot of people are going to drown (Oysterville/Long Beach is even worse, far worse). It will be impossible to get off those sand spits.

Comment

Name:	DmWOr94UwAAzwQG.jpg
Size:	285.1 KB
ID:	32537140
                            I think the fish are smaller nowadays.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	DmWOr94UwAAzwQG.jpg Views:	1 Size:	285.1 KB ID:	32537140
                              Originally posted by Hoot Owl View Post
                              I think the fish are smaller nowadays.
                              They probably are, but the artist may be playing with perspective.
                              I doubt there's ever been a 30-foot long tuna. Though I have seen
                              a 200 foot long Albacore. Not good eating, though.

Name:	albacore2.jpg
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	32537514
                              Last edited by Mister Badger; 06-18-2019, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X