Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hoot Owl View Post
    In other words, there is not enough gun control in California.
    They probably have some in their legislature now. They do a little every year to keep their hand in, so to speak. They sure aren't doing it to solve their social problems.

I don't believe they really care about the real issues, I think they care about the ones that make them look like they are doing something without doing anything helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazyfoo View Post

You’re exactly right - doesn’t prevent it but it’s not a daily occurrence here like in America so thanks for proving that gun control does help to greatly reduce deaths from gun violence.

if the pro-gun people got their head out of their ass in USA and stopped being so selfish, you could reduce the deaths in your country too and save some lives.
      Right. Are we to infer from the OP that there just aren't enough guns in Canada in order to achieve zero incidents? Anything more than zero is seen as a failure of policy?
      That's the trouble with these all-or-none arguments in my estimation. Yeah, IMHO.
      But we've arrived at this point in the US where polarization rules the day. Us vs Them.
      Tribalism knows no middle ground.

To you I'm an atheist; but to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition.

Originally posted by -NPC-;n32500008

Trump is not creepy. He is lovable and charming.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

Really?

That's a rather generalized and sexist statement.

Women kill people too... and men have ruined plenty of lives.

When men do bad things, it's their own fault and no one else's responsibility. They, and they alone, are responsible for their own actions. Same with women.

Yes, it is both a generalization and is highly sexist. It is a generalization in the same way that saying men are taller than women is a generalization, and it is sexist in that it is pointing out that there are real differences in the sexes beyond vocal range.

And even Jordan peterson has gone public with this very concept of how men and women act badly in different ways. Fact is, many of the things I've seen women do to destroy people are completely legal and quite intangible, while when men act badly, people get physically hurt. It's easy to pass laws against that.

That's why there are more men in prison than women. It's not that women are "better". It's that the way they act out is not illegal or is very difficult to prove. Generally speaking.

Anyone with much experience with family court knows what I'm talking about.

One of my acquaintances spent over $100,000 defending himself against allegations by his wife that he sexually molested his own daughter. It was all about getting a higher divorce settlement. He prevailed, but the cost beyond money was paid by both him and his daughter, though nobody went to prison for the false allegations. You'd get more time in the big house for stealing a car stereo.

https://www.jordanbpeterson.com/poli...rt-two-canada/
        Last edited by Easy Listener; 06-18-2019, 10:46 AM.
        Jimmy Carter gave us Reagan and Obama gave us Trump. It's instructional to note that our two worst presidents in my lifetime also gave us our two best presidents of my lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by roughtrade View Post

They probably have some in their legislature now. They do a little every year to keep their hand in, so to speak. They sure aren't doing it to solve their social problems.

I don't believe they really care about the real issues, I think they care about the ones that make them look like they are doing something without doing anything helpful.
          That or they know the headwinds they are up against and don't want to waste time throwing hail Mary's.

George Washington was the man who never told a lie. Richard Nixon was the man who never told the truth. Donald Trump is the man who doesn't know the difference.
          Venezuela is what happens when you have Trump without the Madison.

Comment

That or they know the headwinds they are up against and don't want to waste time throwing hail Mary's.
            Yeah, why work against drug abuse, joblessness, general hopelessness, and poverty, when you can just legislate a little gun control?

Comment

Yeah, why work against drug abuse, joblessness, general hopelessness, and poverty, when you can just legislate a little gun control?
              The amount of time they spend on gun control is a fraction of the time spent on those other things, but whatever.

George Washington was the man who never told a lie. Richard Nixon was the man who never told the truth. Donald Trump is the man who doesn't know the difference.

Comment

So essentially, only 20% of the state exercises their 2nd Amendment Constitutional right...
                According this, it's 25%: https://www.northcoastjournal.com/Ne...kground-checks

Nationally, several sources say it's 31% for the US as a whole. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/despite-mass-shootings-number-of-households-owning-guns-is-on-the-decline/
                ​​​​​​​

Comment

The amount of time they spend on gun control is a fraction of the time spent on those other things, but whatever.
                  That's my point. If they would spend more time on working on the social issues that plague their societies the miscreants would have less reason to shoot each other up.

I'm not good at sarcasm.

Comment

So essentially, only 20% of the state exercises their 2nd Amendment Constitutional right...

Actually, we do have some of the strictest gun regulations in the country. Or are you saying the only real / viable "gun control" should result in less than one in five citizens owning guns?

How do you feel about the rest of the Bill of Rights?

to be fair 25% of californians are minors, so unless you are a proponent of placentas for pistols™ you will always have a good chunk of the population who aren't gun owners
                    Last edited by Turd Furgison; 06-18-2019, 12:18 PM.
                    {O,O}
                    (__(\
                    " "

Comment

Originally posted by Turd Furgison View Post

to be fair 25% of californians are minors, so unless you are a proponent of placentas for pistols™ you will always have a good chunk of the population who aren't gun owners
                      Good point.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
                      - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
                      - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
                      - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Some folks are able to multi-task. And that's 100% legal.
                        How's joblessness around you? Seems rather low, nation-wide, far as I know.
                        Drug abuse? Did you know that 44 states have sued the maker of OxyContin maker of fueling the nation's opioid crisis.

The suits — filed by the attorneys general of Iowa, Kansas, Maryland, Wisconsin and West Virginia — allege that Purdue used deceptive marketing to boost the sales of the highly addictive opioid drug.

"This filing today represents another step forward to stop the senseless deaths and bring accountability to the system," West Virginia Attorney General Patrick Morrisey said.

All but one of the states — Kansas — also sued the company's former president, Richard Sackler.
                        Oh, and one last thing-
                        California has a $21.5 billion surplus.

But really, if there's been anything going on legislatively regarding gun control, I haven't heard too much about it. (Then again, I don't live in the Great State of California, so don't go by me in that regard.)

Comment

Originally posted by RogueGnome View Post

Some folks are able to multi-task. And that's 100% legal.
                          How's joblessness around you? Seems rather low, nation-wide, far as I know.
                          Drug abuse? Did you know that 44 states have sued the maker of OxyContin maker of fueling the nation's opioid crisis.

The suits — filed by the attorneys general of Iowa, Kansas, Maryland, Wisconsin and West Virginia — allege that Purdue used deceptive marketing to boost the sales of the highly addictive opioid drug.

"This filing today represents another step forward to stop the senseless deaths and bring accountability to the system," West Virginia Attorney General Patrick Morrisey said.

All but one of the states — Kansas — also sued the company's former president, Richard Sackler.
                          Oh, and one last thing-
                          California has a $21.5 billion surplus.

But really, if there's been anything going on legislatively regarding gun control, I haven't heard too much about it. (Then again, I don't live in the Great State of California, so don't go by me in that regard.)
                          This just last year:

California already had the strictest gun control laws in the nation. They just passed a bunch more

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/01/polit...rnd/index.html

Maybe the problem isn't the gun control laws, but the societal issues that aggravate conflict.

The state’s inland metropolitan areas are plagued by stubbornly high joblessness.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...osperous-state

I believe that most of the mass shootings in California are gang/drug related.
                          Last edited by roughtrade; 06-18-2019, 01:41 PM.

Comment

This just last year:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/01/polit...rnd/index.html

Maybe the problem isn't the gun control laws, but the societal issues that aggravate conflict.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...osperous-state

I believe that most of the mass shootings in California are gang/drug related.
                            No doubt. I imagine that's true for the Chicago area, too.

Comment

Kill'm all, let gawd sort'm out. How it's done doesn't interest me.
                              - The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it. - H.L. Mencken

Citizens and Residents Of The United States and U.S Persons - USA PATRIOT Act Notice: You are hereby notified that under the provisions of the USA PATRIOT Act, you may be placed under electronic surveillance while viewing this or any other similar web site by intelligence or law enforcement agencies at any time or for any purpose for which they may deem fit, without your knowledge or permission and without the order or supervision of any court of law. As the provisions of the Act strictly prohibit, with fines and imprisonment, the managers of this site from disclosing such surveillance should it become known to us, you should assume that you are under surveillance while viewing this or any other similar web site, electronic mail or any other form of electronic communication related thereto.

Comment

That's my point. If they would spend more time on working on the social issues that plague their societies the miscreants would have less reason to shoot each other up.

I'm not good at sarcasm.
                                That's what is for.

Comment

Working...
                                X