No announcement yet.

OT- Thinking about buying a boat, like a runabout

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hoot Owl View Post
    Cars are so reliable these days that I don't really care about warranties. I eventually learned to buy a used Lexus and forget about it. I'm on my third one now and running strong at 264,000 miles (smokes a little though under hard acceleration). Waiting for these to drop in price, by a lot. Lexus RC F, 467 HP. Will likely be a two-year wait to get a 2015-2017.
    That`s an awesome car. That`s another thing on my list..a "classic" car. I remember in the late 80`s/early 90`s you could get a great 67 Camaro/69 Charger for a couple thousand bucks if that to fix up. I guess they were like 20 year old cars at the time. But now,...no way! A good Charger you`re gonna pay close to $100,000 for.

Comment

Originally posted by Idunno View Post
      We have some freshwater marinas here with old salts permanently docked as live-aboards. I think I could easily do that. From a lifestyle aspect I prefer the coastal waters. Having moved to the Orlando area, and the Saint Johns river, the smell in the air just isn't the same. Drop in a line and get a catfish or turtle here versus a flounder or snapper on the coast. Plus, I can't dive here in the Saint Johns or the lakes. Too many gators.
      I would always prefer coastal waters. I guess I could dock at the Gulf. A sound stereo is a must for YACHT ROCK!

Comment

I've enjoyed my Key West Bay/Reef 19.6 for almost 10 years.

My fav for runabouts has always been Boston Whalers.

They're one of the few boats that actually hold their value.

Comment

Originally posted by redEL34 View Post

That`s an awesome car. That`s another thing on my list..a "classic" car. I remember in the late 80`s/early 90`s you could get a great 67 Camaro/69 Charger for a couple thousand bucks if that to fix up. I guess they were like 20 year old cars at the time. But now,...no way! A good Charger you`re gonna pay close to $100,000 for.
          I wouldn't mind a Chevelle. I'm not going to pay for one though.

Last edited by Hoot Owl; 06-17-2019, 07:31 PM.
          George Washington was the man who never told a lie. Richard Nixon was the man who never told the truth. Donald Trump is the man who doesn't know the difference.
          Venezuela is what happens when you have Trump without the Madison.

Comment

Originally posted by nedezero1 View Post

Bingo.

George Washington was the man who never told a lie. Richard Nixon was the man who never told the truth. Donald Trump is the man who doesn't know the difference.

Comment

I would always prefer coastal waters. I guess I could dock at the Gulf. A sound stereo is a must for YACHT ROCK!
              Not up here (the Pacific Northwest). Seas can be savage up here and are usually pretty close to that.

Comment

Originally posted by nedezero1 View Post

Boston Whalers huh, I`ll have to check that out

-they don`t have inboards?
                Last edited by redEL34; 06-17-2019, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	69419_4890354105028_2123825084_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	32536997This was mine, right up until March. A collector from Ohio bought it.

Comment

Boston Whalers huh, I`ll have to check that out

-they don`t have inboards?
                    Not sure regarding their current lineup.

They did have an inboard jet drive some years back.

Not sure why you'd want an inboard for a runabout. Today's outboards are much less hassle and maintenance.

We used to use their 22' for patrol boats. It even had twin .50 caliber machine guns mounted forward.

Comment

I know, I just grew up on the water. I`m jealous of my neighbor because they have a nice boat and a pair of jet skis, I see them load up and roll away
                      My biggest problem with boats is that they cost a LOT and I tend to get bored with "things" too fast. That is, after going out on the water a few times, the boat becomes a bit of another thing that controls my life. That is, I don't really enjoy it that much, and it's a lot of work to get it out on the water (lines at the boat launch) or it costs a lot to store at the marina. And I feel I "have to" use it to justify having it - even if I'd rather be doing something else.

My favorite boat I ever owned was a two man sailboat that I could throw in the back of my pickup after work, take down to the lake and toss in the water without "launching" it. I could carry it by myself and on the lake it was like a 60 footer in the ocean. And I had no problem with it sitting unused when I didn't want to use it.

Then there are bass boats, which are bought for a particular purpose and for people who love to fish, are used all the time. I categorize them as "tools". Runabouts, etc. are more "toys". Expensive and difficult to really enjoy toys. If you can afford one and expect to spend a lot of time on it, it's worth it, though. But if not, renting is the way to go. I feel that way about Motorhomes too. Unless you are a retired couple driving around the country for a few years, renting is far more practical and, at the end of the day, a LOT cheaper.

Comment

I had to decide on either a camper or a boat when I retired. I figured I'd get much more time and usage out of a camper so that's how I went. I do have a little aluminum lake boat that belonged to my wife's dad. It has a really old small Evinrude motor that I had rebuilt a few years ago then used for a few times then put away and mostly forgotten. After eating walleye last month from Banks Lake over by Grand Coulee Dam I've decided to get it out and fix it up. I can just throw it in the back of my truck and then get a little trolling motor for fishing for the elusive walleye. We have camped the last two years at Steamboat Rock. That whole area has a fascinating history with the ice age floods and such. I love going over there.

Comment

Cars are so reliable these days that I don't really care about warranties. I eventually learned to buy a used Lexus and forget about it. I'm on my third one now and running strong at 264,000 miles (smokes a little though under hard acceleration). Waiting for these to drop in price, by a lot. Lexus RC F, 467 HP. Will likely be a two-year wait to get a 2015-2017.
                          I considered a GS F for a moment. The sound is incredible. No manual transmission pushed me elsewhere, though.

Even a year old model with like ~20k on it has dropped about $30k in price. Crazy initial depreciation. Makes buying new look pretty foolish. And I just can't fathom why the GS is so much more expensive than the RC.

Flag a Post
                          The Report has been sent.
                          [OK]

Comment

Originally posted by willhaven View Post
                            I considered a GS F for a moment. The sound is incredible. No manual transmission pushed me elsewhere, though.

Even a year old model with like ~20k on it has dropped about $30k in price. Crazy initial depreciation. Makes buying new look pretty foolish. And I just can't fathom why the GS is so much more expensive than the RC.
                            I'm over manual transmissions. Too much traffic these days and autos have gotten a lot better. The only thing I'd get a manual in is a pure sports car. A Porsche Cayman R, for instance; or better yet, a Cayman GT4.

The GS F rocks so hard. It's one of the best sedans out there.
                            Last edited by Hoot Owl; 06-18-2019, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakburger View Post
                              I had to decide on either a camper or a boat when I retired. I figured I'd get much more time and usage out of a camper so that's how I went. I do have a little aluminum lake boat that belonged to my wife's dad. It has a really old small Evinrude motor that I had rebuilt a few years ago then used for a few times then put away and mostly forgotten. After eating walleye last month from Banks Lake over by Grand Coulee Dam I've decided to get it out and fix it up. I can just throw it in the back of my truck and then get a little trolling motor for fishing for the elusive walleye. We have camped the last two years at Steamboat Rock. That whole area has a fascinating history with the ice age floods and such. I love going over there.
                              I live near Portland. Grand Coulee is on my list.
                              The Missoula Floods were something else, weren't they? Anyone who doesn't know about it, check this out:
                              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missoula_Floods

They say ice downstream from Portland backed the river up so much that water reached near the tops of high rise buildings in Portland. The entire Willamette Valley was turned into a lake. That valley's rich soil came from those floods. There is a place somewhere in the Willamette Valley that has a grove of Aspens that came from somewhere far north, riding the flood on something. All around the Valley is a ring of rocks that ice carried down. Interesting stuff.

Comment

I'm over manual transmissions. Too much traffic these days and autos have gotten a lot better. The only thing I'd get a manual in is a pure sports car. A Porsche Cayman R, for instance; or better yet, a Cayman GT4.

The GS F rocks so hard. It's one of the best sedans out there.
                                Man, even in traffic I have fun seeing if I can just engine brake all the time until I have to come to a complete stop.

Cayman would probably be my Porsche as well. The new one in Miami blue is pretty sweet.

Flag a Post
                                The Report has been sent.
                                [OK]

Comment

Working...
                                X