Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think it`s new computer time, thinking of going with AMD this time

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you go AMD get the Ryzen 7 that has much improved single core performance. Something like this one.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/...h-prism-cooler

Or if you want 12 or 16 cores get AMD Threadripper

https://www.microcenter.com/product/...oxed-processor

Comment

Originally posted by Alndln3 View Post
      If you go AMD get the Ryzen 7 that has much improved single core performance. Something like this one.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/...h-prism-cooler

Or if you want 12 or 16 cores get AMD Threadripper

https://www.microcenter.com/product/...oxed-processor
      That`s why I was looking at AND this time vs intel. A comparable AMD for 1/2 price, count me in.

Comment

Originally posted by redEL34 View Post
        I was trying to figure out what to post to back this up, but it`s just a bunch of arguing. Basically the new AMD`s beat or hang with the new Intels for about 1/2 the price. Right now, I`m using an i7 4790 w/32 GB DDR3 and multiple SSD. It`s not too shabby, but knowing WIN 7 is going to be unsupported soon, and when you replace the MB, fresh install, that I might as well do all at once. Would love to get Win 10 LTSB, I know you can, but..Anyways, the case I have is fine, it`s a "silent" case equipped with 120mm low speed fans. You can`t hear anything, even through a mic(it is inside of a treated cabinet, too). I`m thinking AMD Ryzen(whichever is best) Asus board(my favorite), 64 GB DDR4, already have all drives and fanless PSU. Thoughts on new AMD processor, computer guys?
        That's what I've been hearing. It's funny; each time I build a rig, either Intel or AMD has what everyone thinks is an insurmountable edge.

While she's talking, I'll use my mind to think of other things. She can't stop my mind!

Comment

Two pages of Windows guys trying to figure out how to build a working computer. One post from a Mac user who says "it just works".

Zip
          665 - Neighbor of the Beast

Originally Posted by RobRoy: I believe that the only way Obama will remain in power is if he suspends elections. And at that point he is no longer president. He is dictator. But I don't believe he will even survive that long. It could be suicide, impeachment by BOTH parties, you name it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zipperhead View Post
            Two pages of Windows guys trying to figure out how to build a working computer. One post from a Mac user who says "it just works".

Zip
            Until it doesn’t.

Ever had a Mac die?

I have. More than once, actually. And when you have to wait two weeks for it to be repaired, you are essentially hosed - especially if you rely on that computer for work. If you absolutely HAVE to have a working computer, you need a Mac and a backup. And that doubles their already inflated price.

With a PC (and some knowledge), you can drive over to the local Best Buy and get the replacement part(s) same day, and be back up and running in 1-2 days, maximum - and that is assuming you have to reinstall everything from scratch. With good backups, it is usually a day, at most.

I am always amused by Mac vs PC threads. As someone who owns and uses both on a daily basis, I know very well that the evangelists for either platform are often full of feeces - BOTH have their advantages, and disadvantages...

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
            - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
            - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
            - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Zip
              that's not exactly what's going on in this post.
              He has lots of options.
              Windows OS v7 and 10 are both really stable operating systems.
              Macs are a real PITA to upgrade.
              and way over-priced.
              To you I'm an atheist; but to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition.

Originally posted by -NPC-;n32500008

Trump is not creepy. He is lovable and charming.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

Until it doesn’t.

Ever had a Mac die?
                Nope and I've been using Apple computers since the late 1980s.

I have. More than once, actually. And when you have to wait two weeks for it to be repaired, you are essentially hosed - especially if you rely on that computer for work. If you absolutely HAVE to have a working computer, you need a Mac and a backup. And that doubles their already inflated price.
                Sorry to hear of your troubles. Back in the day when I ran a tape based studio I had the power supply in the deck die twice and I had the heads relapped numerous times. Each time that happened the studio was down because we couldn't afford a backup tape deck.

I have gigged all over the world with my MacBook. It's never let me down. The closest I ever came to disaster was when I forgot my iLok key.
                With a PC (and some knowledge), you can drive over to the local Best Buy and get the replacement part(s) same day, and be back up and running in 1-2 days, maximum - and that is assuming you have to reinstall everything from scratch. With good backups, it is usually a day, at most.
                Funny you should mention that. Years ago I worked the Frankfurt Music Messe and had both Mac and PC. Stupid me didn't think about the voltage difference. The Mac had a switching power supply but the PC didn't. Power supply gone. Replacing the power supply didn't bring the computer back to life. For whatever reason a qualified Windows tech was needed to make the machine run. No PC on the first day of the show.

I am always amused by Mac vs PC threads. As someone who owns and uses both on a daily basis, I know very well that the evangelists for either platform are often full of feeces - BOTH have their advantages, and disadvantages...
                I'm not here to evangelize. And I'm sure you are not inferring I am full of feeces (sic).

I use both as well, including running Parallels on my MacBook. In general I don't like computers. They are a neccassary evil. But I really dislike Windows.

As they say, YMMV.

Zip

665 - Neighbor of the Beast

Originally Posted by RobRoy: I believe that the only way Obama will remain in power is if he suspends elections. And at that point he is no longer president. He is dictator. But I don't believe he will even survive that long. It could be suicide, impeachment by BOTH parties, you name it.

Comment

I was trying to figure out what to post to back this up, but it`s just a bunch of arguing. Basically the new AMD`s beat or hang with the new Intels for about 1/2 the price. Right now, I`m using an i7 4790 w/32 GB DDR3 and multiple SSD. It`s not too shabby, but knowing WIN 7 is going to be unsupported soon, and when you replace the MB, fresh install, that I might as well do all at once. Would love to get Win 10 LTSB, I know you can, but..Anyways, the case I have is fine, it`s a "silent" case equipped with 120mm low speed fans. You can`t hear anything, even through a mic(it is inside of a treated cabinet, too). I`m thinking AMD Ryzen(whichever is best) Asus board(my favorite), 64 GB DDR4, already have all drives and fanless PSU. Thoughts on new AMD processor, computer guys?
                  I used to build my own computers, but since they've become a commodity I just buy a cheap desktop at Costco when I need one. I've had AMD and Intel. I'm neutral as to which is best. My current main computer is an Acer and is roughly 7 years old. The problem I have is fan motors burning out on my video cards. Everything else is fine.
                  Last edited by Easy Listener; 06-12-2019, 06:05 AM.
                  EVERYTHING I type (i.e. not a link or video) is only my opinion. In a sane world, that should not have to be said. But then, we are not living in a sane world, are we?

Comment

That`s why I was looking at AND this time vs intel. A comparable AMD for 1/2 price, count me in.
                    AMD has long made comparable processors and sold them for less.

Comment

I buy cheap desktops. When they start slowing down I buy a new one (usually within three years).
                      More bang for the buck with desktops.

The internals of every computer I've recycled has been full of dust and lint.
                      It's so nice to start afresh.
                      George Washington was the man who never told a lie. Richard Nixon was the man who never told the truth. Donald Trump is the man who doesn't know the difference.
                      Venezuela is what happens when you have Trump without the Madison.

Comment

Don`t they seal Macs now so you can`t even open them, well easily?
                        I don't know, I've never had to open one up. Now my PC? Don't get me started.

Winning an argument with a smart person is difficult. Winning an argument with a stupid person is damn near impossible.

Comment

Nope and I've been using Apple computers since the late 1980s.
                          I've been using them since the mid-80's. I've generally had good luck with them, but also a few spectacular (and poorly-timed) failures. Apple's generally good about repairs, but again, it can take a couple of weeks sometimes...

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Back in the day when I ran a tape based studio I had the power supply in the deck die twice and I had the heads relapped numerous times. Each time that happened the studio was down because we couldn't afford a backup tape deck.
                          I've never had a tape deck die that I wasn't able to fix myself, or get my tech out (or the studio's tech) to fix quickly. Getting the heads relapped OTOH, is going to take a while... but at least you can schedule that - or used to be able to do so.

I have gigged all over the world with my MacBook. It's never let me down. The closest I ever came to disaster was when I forgot my iLok key.
                          My 2011 MBP died on me - it suffered from the infamous motherboard issue. I had it repaired, then had to get it repaired again, then it was irreparable. I replaced it with a newer MBP, which is what I'm typing this on. Quad i7, 16 GB of RAM, 15" screen - it's a great laptop.

I'm not here to evangelize. And I'm sure you are not inferring I am full of feeces (sic).
                          Absolutely not! My apologies if I gave you that impression. And I'll take that extra e back, if you don't mind... I can probably use it in another sentence somewhere...

Speaking of extra letters... you might want to borrow that e...

I use both as well, including running Parallels on my MacBook. In general I don't like computers. They are a neccassary (sic) evil. But I really dislike Windows.
                          I like computers in general - when they're working, they can be incredibly useful - but they can definitely be a source of frustration sometimes.

As far as operating systems go (and I've used quite a few over the years), I'd much rather use OS X than Windows. I'm very familiar with it, but Windows still feels kludgey to me by comparison. My main DAW PC is still running Windows 7, but the laptop I use for astronomy / astrophotography / EAA is running Windows 10. There's definitely some aspects of that OS that I'm not crazy about... such as the no-notice waits for automatic updates to complete. It sux to power up the laptop and have one hit right as the sun is going down and you need to get everything aligned and sighted in before it does, but you can't "see through" the telescope's USB cameras yet because the PC is taking forever to finish updating. I keep meaning to go in and turn that off, but I keep forgetting to.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
                          - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

Originally posted by RogueGnome View Post
                            Macs are a real PITA to upgrade.
                            Hardware? Yes... but OS and software upgrades are generally easier on the Mac IMHO. Faster too.

and way over-priced.
                            I can’t disagree with you there.

- George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                            X