No announcement yet.

I think it`s new computer time, thinking of going with AMD this time

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think it`s new computer time, thinking of going with AMD this time

I was trying to figure out what to post to back this up, but it`s just a bunch of arguing. Basically the new AMD`s beat or hang with the new Intels for about 1/2 the price. Right now, I`m using an i7 4790 w/32 GB DDR3 and multiple SSD. It`s not too shabby, but knowing WIN 7 is going to be unsupported soon, and when you replace the MB, fresh install, that I might as well do all at once. Would love to get Win 10 LTSB, I know you can, but..Anyways, the case I have is fine, it`s a "silent" case equipped with 120mm low speed fans. You can`t hear anything, even through a mic(it is inside of a treated cabinet, too). I`m thinking AMD Ryzen(whichever is best) Asus board(my favorite), 64 GB DDR4, already have all drives and fanless PSU. Thoughts on new AMD processor, computer guys?

I like AMD chips. Always have.
    What are you doing that you need so much horse power? (64GB RAM)
    You a gamer?
    Create animation?
    To you I'm an atheist; but to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition.

Originally posted by -NPC-;n32500008

Trump is not creepy. He is lovable and charming.

Comment

Originally posted by RogueGnome View Post
      I like AMD chips. Always have.
      What are you doing that you need so much horse power? (64GB RAM)
      You a gamer?
      Create animation?
      Kontakt samples. Yeah, I can get by on 32.

-some of them are massive
      Last edited by redEL34; 06-11-2019, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Go Mac and never look back. I have to use a PC at my shop and it is always in need of some attention to fix problems. My Macbook Pro, which I'm typing on now, has not not had one ... not ONE problem in the 3.5 years I have owned it and there is NO virus software on it. JMHO
        Winning an argument with a smart person is difficult. Winning an argument with a stupid person is damn near impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by Telecruiser View Post
          Go Mac and never look back. I have to use a PC at my shop and it is always in need of some attention to fix problems. My Macbook Pro, which I'm typing on now, has not not had one ... not ONE problem in the 3.5 years I have owned it and there is NO virus software on it. JMHO
          I just like the fact if I want to upgrade something it`s just a quick trip to Frys and about 15 minute install. Don`t they seal Macs now so you can`t even open them, well easily?

Comment

I advised on a computer purchase earlier this year and from what I've read AMD actually doesn't beat Intel in overall performance but it does give more bang for the buck. As RougeGnome mentioned, that's a fair amount of horsepower. An i5 with 16 GB meets my humble needs.
            Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
            Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
            Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
            Member of the Schecter Society
            Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

IMO your 4th gen processor might still up for the job (though you would know better), so I'd consider just upgrading the OS. Might even be free...

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/u...indows-10-free

I've upgraded a number of older systems this year without any issue from MS. I would try it on a cloned OS drive.

BTW I am still using an i7-2600, 2nd Gen but have upgraded the video card a couple times.
              http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Electric-Guitars/I-smeared-bacon-fat-on-my-strat-now-it-stinks/td-p/16697195

Comment

Originally posted by Into Nation View Post
                IMO your 4th gen processor might still up for the job (though you would know better), so I'd consider just upgrading the OS. Might even be free...

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/u...indows-10-free

I've upgraded a number of older systems this year without any issue from MS. I would try it on a cloned OS drive.

BTW I am still using an i7-2600, 2nd Gen but have upgraded the video card a couple times.
                You make a good point, it`s still a VERY fast processor, and enough RAM to meet my needs and then some. I`m just lamenting the end of the greatest OS of all time, 7, and getting ready for the crap I use at work, 10. Nothing is worse than doing a clean install on a DAW workstation, just trying to kill as many birds as I can(not literally).

Comment

I'd just put a new boot drive in what you have; restore from a backup, then try a Win 10 install over that. If it works, you'll save all kinds of time. If not, you can always do a full install from scratch. You'll still have your old Win 7 C:\ drive too, in the event you need to go back to it for some reason.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
                  - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
                  - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
                  - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

i record through a presonus mixer into a macbook pro via thunderbolt into presonus capture software, when done recording i use a thumbdrive to transfer the .wav's to an intel i-7 990 6 core for mixdown. transfer is seamless and has not failed yet (well, maybe a little human error hear and there ) - for the most part i think computers are getting to be like cars, you can't really buy a `bad' one anymore as long as you know what you're looking for.
                    Last edited by wallywanker; 06-11-2019, 07:46 PM.
                    __________________________________________________ ______________________________
                    new sig currently under construction

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
                      I'd just put a new boot drive in what you have; restore from a backup, then try a Win 10 install over that. If it works, you'll save all kinds of time. If not, you can always do a full install from scratch. You'll still have your old Win 7 C:\ drive too, in the event you need to go back to it for some reason.
                      Good call. An old-fashioned hard dive can be had for $30 or so.

When you're done, make it a back-up drive.
                      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
                        Hmm..don`t you get that "you have unrecognized hardware" error then?

Comment

Originally posted by redEL34 View Post

Hmm..don`t you get that "you have unrecognized hardware" error then?
                          Full install from scratch to blank drive, you are going to boot off the Win 10 install bootable thumb drive you created. It's the cleanest way really but you'll have to reinstall programs.
                          http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Electric-Guitars/I-smeared-bacon-fat-on-my-strat-now-it-stinks/td-p/16697195

Comment

Originally posted by Into Nation View Post

Full install from scratch to blank drive, you are going to boot off the Win 10 install bootable thumb drive you created. It's the cleanest way really but you'll have to reinstall programs.
                            Then why not go full out and upgrade everything then?

Comment

Originally posted by redEL34 View Post

Then why not go full out and upgrade everything then?
                              Well if money is no concern, then do that... I would still try to upgrade first your cloned existing OS drive, no reinstalls needed. Just see if it works. Saves a crapload of time and money. You still have a great system.

Worst kept secret - CPU's have been over engineered for quite a while. Look at Wally's, or mine - intro'd 8 years ago and still do the job with no problem. The CPU upgrade game was replaced by the GPU upgrade game.
                              Last edited by Into Nation; 06-11-2019, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X