Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: What would you put on a playlist for your parents?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: What would you put on a playlist for your parents?

I know lots of you have probably already been through losing parents, so I hope this isn’t too sensitive/scary a topic.

I’m making a playlist for a bbq we’re having tonight after a little ceremony to lay my father to rest. I’m putting together music he played often when I was little, and stuff he picked up through my life. What music did you hear from your folks’ record collections? What still lives with you?

So far I’ve got selections from:

-Astrud Gilberto
    -(pre-rock) Bob Dylan
    -Simon and Garfunkel
    -Peter, Paul, and Mary
    -Hawaiian slack key guitar
    -80s U2
    -Peter Gabriel
    -Miami Vice soundtrack all the way, including Jan Hammer instrumentals (which blow me away) and all the pop stuff and post-Genesis folks—the only reason he ever got into U2 and Gabriel
    -Some Sinatra
    -Hendrix (which I introduced him to, believe it or not)

This is mainly stuff he would play all the time when I was little in the 80s. I don’t know if there’s some kind of country from the 50s/60s that his parents—okies who went to CA as kids during dust bowl—would have listened to, something to conjure his childhood.

What music reminds you of your parents?
    For those who prefer to listen rather than read and who ask these questions: What underlying crimes were being investigated when Trump obstructed justice? Why wasn't he indicted? Why did Mueller discuss indicting a sitting president in Volume II but not Volume I?
    https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Muell...ook/B07PXN468K

My (old dead) band!:
    www.steelphantoms.com/
    PM me if you want to give me a Deluxe US Strat with locking tuners and 22 frets for <$800. Fancy Strymon pedals welcome too!

That's an eclectic list! The Miami Vice stuff is pretty much my favorite of Jan Hammer's stuff. It definitely went downhill when they lost him in the last season or two.

While she's talking, I'll use my mind to think of other things. She can't stop my mind!

Comment

Nat King Cole
      Ray Charles
      Frank Sinatra
      Living Strings Orchestra
      Ray Conniff Singers
      Johnny Mathis
      Joe Pass
      Floyd Cramer
      Trini Lopez

Edit: Oh yeah Les Paul and Mary Ford, Chet Atkins and Herb Alpert.
      Last edited by harrycox1; 06-10-2019, 07:18 PM.
      Government
      Of
      Putin
      Originally posted by nedezero1;
      Good. More lib fake news correspondents need to be assaulted when they get too pushy.
      http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...nches-reporter

Comment

My dads funeral music..

Animals-Don`t Let Me Be Misunderstood

In-a-gadda-da-vida- short version(my mother(his long estranged wife) insisted he would want that.

Black Sabbath- Sweet Leaf- Oh yes I did- it was me and my sisters favorite BS song because the coughing was funny to us as children- we ruined and scratched the record so it was a funny childhood memory and about how he was mad for about 2 seconds.
        Last edited by redEL34; 06-10-2019, 07:21 PM.

Comment

My mom is 85 and not much into rock music but she likes some stuff and I know most of it.

I'd give her some Glenn Miller
          Hank Williams
          Peter Paul & Mary
          Herb Alpert
          Selected Beatles tracks
          Selected Billy Joel
          Selected Meat Loaf
          Michael Jackson
          Creedence
          Last edited by Vito Corleone; 06-10-2019, 07:20 PM.

Comment

I'm told their ashes are interred in a wall box about 10" X 10" X 12" in a cemetery. Musical tastes, as I recall, were Eddie Arnold for her and Sinatra for him.
            Last edited by Idunno; 06-10-2019, 07:29 PM.
            - The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it. - H.L. Mencken

Citizens and Residents Of The United States and U.S Persons - USA PATRIOT Act Notice: You are hereby notified that under the provisions of the USA PATRIOT Act, you may be placed under electronic surveillance while viewing this or any other similar web site by intelligence or law enforcement agencies at any time or for any purpose for which they may deem fit, without your knowledge or permission and without the order or supervision of any court of law. As the provisions of the Act strictly prohibit, with fines and imprisonment, the managers of this site from disclosing such surveillance should it become known to us, you should assume that you are under surveillance while viewing this or any other similar web site, electronic mail or any other form of electronic communication related thereto.

Comment

^ I forgot about Glen Miller,,,,thanks for the reminder. There was also

Andy Williams
              Tony Benett
              Dean Martin
              Charlie Rich

Dad had a big record collection and we would listen to albums on Sunday mornings. Dad never embraced rock and roll but Simon and Garfunkels Sounds Of Silence was easily his favorite song. The only thing I kept from the family estate was the great big record console. I bet I spent 20,000 hours in front of that thing. When I hauled it home I took the back off and dad had stashed a complete set of tubes for it. Four brand new RCA EL84's, 12ax7 and a new Sylvania 5U4GB rectifier tube all bought in 1962.

Government
              Of
              Putin
              Originally posted by nedezero1;
              Good. More lib fake news correspondents need to be assaulted when they get too pushy.
              http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...nches-reporter

Comment

Duke Ellington
                Ella Fitzgerald
                Benny Goodman
                Count Basie
                Sarah Vaughan
                George Shearing
                Oscar Peterson
                Etc...
                Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

-- Vaclav Havel

The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

-- Carl Sagan

Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

For my dad:
                  Jim Croce
                  Johnny Cash
                  Johnny Mathis

For my mom:
                  Barry Manilow
                  Anne Murray
                  Fidler on the Roof soundtrack

Maybe we can all just agree that Bush was stupid and Cheney was lying and call it a day. - guitarcapo

Originally posted by Grumpy_Polecat View Post
                  For the record: Hitler using gas to exterminate his presumed enemies does not equal the use of chemical weapons.
                  Reprehensible as it was, gassing was a conventional and accepted method for execution at the time. It is a stretch to equivocate the two.

Comment

A few suggestions. (Not necessarily favorites of my parents)
                    Don Ho
                    Jose Feliciano
                    Mississippi John Hurt
                    Nitty Gritty Dirt Band (Will the Circle Be Unbroken)

To you I'm an atheist; but to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition.

Originally posted by -NPC-;n32500008

Trump is not creepy. He is lovable and charming.

Comment

Nice selections. Certainly a lot of your choices were on the radio and in my father’s early life memory too.

It all all went swimmingly today. Mom is much relieved that we pulled it off all in traditional Hawaiian fashion.

Before the bbq “reception,” I added Willie Nelson and a favorite discovery of his late in life: Dire Straits. Brits working with American country and 80s production. He loved it.

His friend from Arizona shared photos of them out on a range. POP was shooting a fully auto M4. His friend here described as “just emptying your pocket, but walking away with a smile on your face.”

My mom read the eulogy he wrote for his father’s funeral when dad was only 25.

And my uppercrust cousin read a wonderful rememberance of dad the professor taking her and my older sister on a tour of northeast colleges in the 80s. She described how he could give you a long* lecture about just about anything, from neurology to home repair. It was incredibly nice. I won’t share exactly how he was interred, but but I will say I feel closure I’ve awaited for months. Cheers to people who help others through these events.

*My father longwinded?? Now that just doesn’t make any sense, does it?
                      Last edited by arcadesonfire; 06-11-2019, 02:04 AM.
                      For those who prefer to listen rather than read and who ask these questions: What underlying crimes were being investigated when Trump obstructed justice? Why wasn't he indicted? Why did Mueller discuss indicting a sitting president in Volume II but not Volume I?

My (old dead) band!:
                      www.steelphantoms.com/
                      PM me if you want to give me a Deluxe US Strat with locking tuners and 22 frets for <$800. Fancy Strymon pedals welcome too!

Comment

Originally posted by Opposite Day View Post
                        That's an eclectic list! The Miami Vice stuff is pretty much my favorite of Jan Hammer's stuff. It definitely went downhill when they lost him in the last season or two.
                        Yeah, I got distracted just listening to Hammer’s Miami Vice early in the day. Really innovative, breakthrough synth stuff for the time, at least from what I know. I love the Jeff Beck/Jan Hammer stuff, but then he remained fresh and cutting edge in the 80s. Impressive.

My (old dead) band!:
                        www.steelphantoms.com/

Comment

Paul Anka
                          andy Williams
                          frank
                          dean Martin
                          anything Laurence Welk

Comment

It'd be a mix tape single.

Side A

Side B

Comment

My father listened to classical, my mother liked boogie-woogie.
                              "Gimme a Pigfoot and a Bottle of Beer"

Comment

Working...
                              X