Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adam Levine’s Songwriter Competition Show Under Fire for Requiring Contestants to Waive All Royalties

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adam Levine’s Songwriter Competition Show Under Fire for Requiring Contestants to Waive All Royalties

This is wrong and I hope no one gives into this. To me, this will set a very dangerous president that will not work in the favor of creative artists. What say you folks?

“NBC will own all rights to use and exploit all of your songs involved in the show, including the songs you submit in the initial application,” an attorney warns
    https://www.thewrap.com/adam-levine-...rous-contract/
    Winning an argument with a smart person is difficult. Winning an argument with a stupid person is damn near impossible.

That just sucks.
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.

Comment

Originally posted by erok123 View Post
      That just sucks.
      I agree. If they ( the writers) give in it'll be downhill. They need to stick together.
      Winning an argument with a smart person is difficult. Winning an argument with a stupid person is damn near impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by erok123 View Post
        That just sucks.
        For air. I wonder if Levine has exhausted his creativity and turned to scamming it from people. Paul Simon did the same thing except he just ripped off other artists during collabs. Leon Helms told it best.
        Last edited by Idunno; 05-26-2019, 04:10 PM.
        - The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it. - H.L. Mencken

Citizens and Residents Of The United States and U.S Persons - USA PATRIOT Act Notice: You are hereby notified that under the provisions of the USA PATRIOT Act, you may be placed under electronic surveillance while viewing this or any other similar web site by intelligence or law enforcement agencies at any time or for any purpose for which they may deem fit, without your knowledge or permission and without the order or supervision of any court of law. As the provisions of the Act strictly prohibit, with fines and imprisonment, the managers of this site from disclosing such surveillance should it become known to us, you should assume that you are under surveillance while viewing this or any other similar web site, electronic mail or any other form of electronic communication related thereto.

Comment

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S. Thompson

yup...was it really a hunter s. thompson quote or was he quoting someone else, who knows, but none the less - as the old adage goes, anything is worth whatever you are willing to pay for it, or, as the case may be, willing to be paid for it. hey, at least levine had the good sense to position himself towards the top of this particular `pay to play' pyramid scheme - that's where the money is ...
          Last edited by wallywanker; 05-26-2019, 04:40 PM.
          __________________________________________________ ______________________________
          new sig currently under construction

Comment

The language is pretty plain & straight forward. If the songwriter/contestant agrees then that's their decision, even if others think that it is a bad one. If they think it's a venue worth gambling a possible loss for a better prospect in the future then why not?
            ''All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"--Edmund Burke
            Man created science to create what man wants science to create.

Comment

Songwriting credits are often split for various reasons. To just swoop in to try and snatch the whole thing stinks. Just ask John Fogarty, or Bob Dylan:

"A very great man once said,
              Some people rob you with a fountain pen
              It didn't take too long to find out
              Just what he was a-talkin' about."

That lyric came from something Woody Guthrie wrote, that is sometimes attributed to Abraham Lincoln.
              "Truth is what stands the test of experience."

...Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Idunno View Post

For air. I wonder if Levine has exhausted his creativity and turned to scamming it from people. Paul Simon did the same thing except he just ripped off other artists during collabs. Leon Helms told it best.
                It's not Adam, it's NBC.
                http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Electric-Guitars/I-smeared-bacon-fat-on-my-strat-now-it-stinks/td-p/16697195

Comment

Originally posted by Telecruiser View Post

I agree. If they ( the writers) give in it'll be downhill. They need to stick together.
                  And just from observing human nature, there will be no shortage of human lemmings all too willing to walk right over that cliff, unfortunately. We've all seen people get so giddy by thinking unwisely that by sacrificing an original work to something like this could give them their "big break". In reality, you would be just as well off by allowing either Mr. Levine and/or NBC to just make a "big break" into your home.
                  Originally posted by GTRMAN;n31424311

The hijacking of the Republican party by the religious right really did send the party into a tailspin of fundamentalism and black/white politics. It's really scary how it transformed the party.

Comment

Yes, a pre-determined split would make sense. NBCcpuld get some share for its promotional work. Taking it all ain’t right... though from where NBC sits, they know people will do anything to get on air. so from a pure business perspective, with supply and demand in mind, a 100% cut for the network shouldn’t be a surprise.
                    For those who prefer to listen rather than read and who ask these questions: What underlying crimes were being investigated when Trump obstructed justice? Why wasn't he indicted? Why did Mueller discuss indicting a sitting president in Volume II but not Volume I?
                    https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Muell...ook/B07PXN468K

My (old dead) band!:
                    www.steelphantoms.com/
                    PM me if you want to give me a Deluxe US Strat with locking tuners and 22 frets for <$800. Fancy Strymon pedals welcome too!

Comment

Originally posted by SteinbergerHack

Probably true. I would bet that it has to do with the broadcast rights for any recordings of any part of the process. Rather than trying to fine tune ownership of certain recordings, their lawyers just broad-brushed it, likely using the premise that without the show, the contestants had little chance of selling their songs.

In short, if the show makes a song a hit, it's thanks to NBC, not the contestants. There is some logic to that view, but it's still a raw deal for the writers. A pre-determined split would make more sense, IMO.
                      It reads like they own any song you write as part of the competition and waive all rights to royalties of it. Seems some sort of split would be more fair.

But you know what the deal is going into it and where else might you have a good a chance to get your career started?

and yes. This is about NBC and not Levine.

Comment

Originally posted by thankyou View Post
                        Songwriting credits are often split for various reasons. To just swoop in to try and snatch the whole thing stinks. Just ask John Fogarty, or Bob Dylan:

"A very great man once said,
                        Some people rob you with a fountain pen
                        It didn't take too long to find out
                        Just what he was a-talkin' about."

That lyric came from something Woody Guthrie wrote, that is sometimes attributed to Abraham Lincoln.
                        Did Fogerty get writers royalties for claiming to have “arranged” “The Midnight Special”?

Comment

y
                          Originally posted by guido61 View Post

Did Fogerty get writers royalties for claiming to have “arranged” “The Midnight Special”?
                          That song is a good example. Fogerty heard it through Ledbelly, who also re-arranged it from an existing traditional song. With John Fogerty, that record company took him to court for sounding like John Fogarty. I have a copy of his album that has the song, "Zanz Can't Dance", which was changed in the second pressing because of a lawsuit by the executive he was referring to. My record collector friend found it in my collection while we were cleaning it, and said it multiplied the value, but not in astronomical terms. Maybe Hoddy might want it.
                          "Truth is what stands the test of experience."

...Albert Einstein

Comment

y

That song is a good example. Fogerty heard it through Ledbelly, who also re-arranged it from an existing traditional song. With John Fogerty, that record company took him to court for sounding like John Fogarty. I have a copy of his album that has the song, "Zanz Can't Dance", which was changed in the second pressing because of a lawsuit by the executive he was referring to. My record collector friend found it in my collection while we were cleaning it, and said it multiplied the value, but not in astronomical terms. Maybe Hoddy might want it.
                            Yes, the story of Fogerty being sued for 'stealing' his own song is legendary. But two things about that case that never really get told:

1) He voluntarily gave up all the rights to his songs in order to get out of his record deal.

2) The plantiffs lost that case because it was obviously so stupid.

Zanz Kant Danz from the same album as the song he was sued for supposedly stealing. Perhaps had he not gone after Zaentz in a song he wouldn't have been sued in the first place.
                            Last edited by Vito Corleone; 05-27-2019, 11:58 AM.

Comment

y

Yeah, it was only the first pressing that had the original song, but there were a lot of them. I have one of those too. They are pretty common. You can find them for under $10 on eBay.

Comment

Working...
                              X