What are your long-term plans?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your long-term plans?

No, I mean really long term.
    I'm OK with this. Probably won't be legal everywhere for a long time and some religions may have a problem with it.
    Cremating at the optimum temperature (1,400-1,800 degrees), the average weighted remains takes 2 to 2 ½ hours. This seems wasteful.
    Burial in a casket in a cemetery is terribly expensive; also wasteful. Although, I have to say I've visited some beautiful cemeteries and found them to be rather interesting.
    Spent many hours in Arlington National Cemetery years ago.Quite a place.

Washington becomes the first state to legalize composting of humans

(CNN)Washington has become the first state in the nation to pass a law allowing composting as an alternative to burial or cremation of human remains.

Gov. Jay Inslee signed a bill Tuesday legalizing human composting. The bill will go into effect in May next year.
    Currently in Washington, bodies can either be cremated or buried. The process of recomposition provides a third option that speeds up the process of turning dead bodies into soil, a practice colloquially known as "human composting." The bill describes the process as a "contained, accelerated conversion of human remains to soil."
    The bill's sponsor, state
    Sen. Jamie Pedersen, said it is an environmentally friendly way of disposing of human remains."It's about time we apply some technology, allow some technology to be applied to this universal human experience ... because we think that people should have the freedom to determine for themselves how they'd like their body to be disposed of," he said.
    "(The) body is covered in natural materials, like straw or wood chips, and over the course of about three to seven weeks, thanks to microbial activity, it breaks down into soil," she said.
    Last edited by RogueGnome; 05-23-2019, 01:45 PM.
    To you I'm an atheist; but to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition.

Originally posted by -NPC-;n32500008

Trump is not creepy. He is lovable and charming.

Good post. I saw a news journalist talking about this very topic just a couple of days ago.

IMO, as a society, we have conditioned ourselves to deal with the remains of our deceased loved ones in as much of an apparent dignified manner as possible. I say "apparent" as we have conditioned ourselves to attempt to preserve their remains via embalming and hence following through with burial of the preserved body in a casket in a cemetery plot.

Others have opted for cremation and while it too uses resources to incinerate one's remains, it is unquestionably a less taxing option on encroaching on the finite space of a cemetery.

The notion of human composting is indeed the most natural way for the organic matter of which we are all made to decompose although I am also certain that many will never elect that option for themselves or their family members because it simply does not fly in the face of convention.
    Originally posted by GTRMAN;n31424311

The hijacking of the Republican party by the religious right really did send the party into a tailspin of fundamentalism and black/white politics. It's really scary how it transformed the party.

Comment

Something to be considered. Although, at this point, I think I'd still opt for cremation.

Until then, most of my not-so-long term plans involve hookers and blow.

Comment

I've asked my family to hire a taxidermist when I die to stuff me and pose me in a dignified position in the corner of the living room.

Maybe we can all just agree that Bush was stupid and Cheney was lying and call it a day. - guitarcapo

Originally posted by Grumpy_Polecat View Post
        For the record: Hitler using gas to exterminate his presumed enemies does not equal the use of chemical weapons.
        Reprehensible as it was, gassing was a conventional and accepted method for execution at the time. It is a stretch to equivocate the two.

Comment

Originally posted by E-money View Post
          I've asked my family to hire a taxidermist when I die to stuff me and pose me in a dignified position in the corner of the living room.
          I like death masks. I could definitely go for one of these.

George Washington
          Image result for death mask

Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I fail to see a material difference between burial and composting......?
            Lease this space!

Comment

My wife's mom died 3 weeks ago...her ashes are in our closet.
              Guns Over People

I pledge my allegiance to David Hogg and Emma Gonzalez!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hoddy View Post
                My wife's mom died 3 weeks ago...her ashes are in our closet.
                I told my wife that her mother can never live with us, not in life and not in death.

Maybe we can all just agree that Bush was stupid and Cheney was lying and call it a day. - guitarcapo

For the record: Hitler using gas to exterminate his presumed enemies does not equal the use of chemical weapons.
                Reprehensible as it was, gassing was a conventional and accepted method for execution at the time. It is a stretch to equivocate the two.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinbergerHack View Post
                  The sealed box and formaldehyde that keeps the bacteria and worms out for much longer

Comment

At least we aren't to the point where we're turning dead folks into food.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakburger View Post
                      At least we aren't to the point where we're turning dead folks into food.
                      Speak for yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinbergerHack View Post
                        $

I guess you haven’t bought a casket and burial plot and headstone for a while.
                        The average burial can cost between $8,000 and $25,000. Cremation can top $6,000. Spade told the affiliate she hopes to charge about $5,500 for human composting.

Comment

My long term plan.......Well,....I have ask The Lord to allow me to live long enough to pay off all my bills. If He grants my request, the way I see it, is that, one day, I shall be able to refer to Methuselah as " that young fellow".
                          ''All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"--Edmund Burke
                          Man created science to create what man wants science to create.

Comment

Originally posted by E-money View Post

I told my wife that her mother can never live with us, not in life and not in death.
                            She's dead... not alive... your post makes no sense.
                            Guns Over People

I pledge my allegiance to David Hogg and Emma Gonzalez!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hoddy View Post

She's dead... not alive... your post makes no sense.
                              Think real, real hard, it might eventually come to you
                              Last edited by stratosaurus; 05-23-2019, 07:00 PM.
                              ''All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"--Edmund Burke
                              Man created science to create what man wants science to create.

Comment

Working...
                              X