John Walker Lindh, the so-called "American Taliban" released from prison

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Walker Lindh, the so-called "American Taliban" released from prison

I don't know.
    This guy does not seem to be reformed/rehabilitated.
    And yet he earned early release with time off for good behavior.
    This may not end well.

link
    (CNN)John Walker Lindh, the so-called "American Taliban" whose capture in Afghanistan riveted a country in the early days after the September 11 attacks, has been released from prison, authorities said.

After serving 17 years of a 20-year sentence, Lindh, the first US-born detainee in the war on terror, on Thursday walked out of a federal prison in Terre Haute, Indiana, the Bureau of Prisons confirmed, and will join the small, but growing, group of Americans convicted of terror-related charges attempting to re-enter into society.
    Lindh will live in Virginia subject to the direction of his probation officer, his lawyer, Bill Cummings, tells CNN. But some are already calling for an investigation into his time in prison -- where he is said in two US government reports to have made pro-ISIS and other extremist statements -- that could send him back into detention.
    According to the NCTC report, as of May 2016, Lindh "continued to advocate for global jihad and to write and translate violent extremist texts." In March 2016, the report says, he "told a television news producer that he would continue to spread violent extremist Islam upon his release."
    Lindh had made "pro ISIS statements to various reporters," the Bureau of Prisons report also stated.
    In an email to his father included in the BOP report, Lindh said that he was "not interested in renouncing my beliefs or issuing condemnations."
    On Monday, Johnny Spann, the father of the CIA officer killed in the Taliban uprising that Lindh participated in, petitioned the Virginia judge overseeing Lindh's case to investigate the extremist comments he allegedly made while in prison.
    "You need to find out for sure, is this guy still the same al Qaeda member we put in jail? If he is still the al Qaeda member we put in jail then we need to throw the plea agreement away and do something else," Spann told CNN in an interview.
    To you I'm an atheist; but to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition.

Originally posted by -NPC-;n32500008

Trump is not creepy. He is lovable and charming.

Yeah, I'm sure they'll keep a close eye on him. As far as his early release goes? If he's not at all rehabilitated and intent on wrongdoing, then I doubt 3 more years would have made any difference.

Comment

He should be swinging from a rope.

Comment

His middle name is Walker. What do you expect?
        George Washington was the man who never told a lie. Richard Nixon was the man who never told the truth. Donald Trump is the man who doesn't know the difference.
        Venezuela is what happens when you have Trump without the Madison.

Comment

Since we are now trying to negotiate a deal with the Taliban, maybe he can head up the delegation

Comment

He should have been executed for treason, after a fair trial.of course.

Comment

Originally posted by guido61 View Post
              Since we are now trying to negotiate a deal with the Taliban, maybe he can head up the delegation
              Now?
              Now?
              I think by now we can all assume that the Taliban don't make deals (that they keep).

George Washington was the man who never told a lie. Richard Nixon was the man who never told the truth. Donald Trump is the man who doesn't know the difference.
              Venezuela is what happens when you have Trump without the Madison.

Comment

Hopefully he'll go home...grab a beer, catch up on some TV and chill.
                Guns Over People

I pledge my allegiance to David Hogg and Emma Gonzalez!!!

Comment

The guy was an 18 y/o kid when he made his mistaken choice. Anyone here remember their state of brilliance at 18? Anyone here have sons who've passed through that age? Man-cubs, all of us at that age, and hardly ready to understand the responsibility of critical thinking. Giving this guy some slack for that, he entered into a one-way turnstile, and without recourse, was invested by circumstance into the role he stumbled into.

Personally, I did exactly the same thing he did, but in a different uniform. Good or bad deeds committed are not necessarily sanctioned by which uniform is worn at the time.

I wouldn't pass judgement on him now for what he got himself shanghaied into. I'd seriously engage in his future as a normal person and hope it provides happier times for him.
                  Last edited by Idunno; 05-25-2019, 10:21 AM.
                  - The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it. - H.L. Mencken

Citizens and Residents Of The United States and U.S Persons - USA PATRIOT Act Notice: You are hereby notified that under the provisions of the USA PATRIOT Act, you may be placed under electronic surveillance while viewing this or any other similar web site by intelligence or law enforcement agencies at any time or for any purpose for which they may deem fit, without your knowledge or permission and without the order or supervision of any court of law. As the provisions of the Act strictly prohibit, with fines and imprisonment, the managers of this site from disclosing such surveillance should it become known to us, you should assume that you are under surveillance while viewing this or any other similar web site, electronic mail or any other form of electronic communication related thereto.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoddy View Post
                    Hopefully he'll go home...grab a beer, catch up on some TV and chill.
                    However, if he is actually devoted to Islam, he is supposed to shun alcohol.
                    Originally posted by GTRMAN;n31424311

The hijacking of the Republican party by the religious right really did send the party into a tailspin of fundamentalism and black/white politics. It's really scary how it transformed the party.

Comment

Originally posted by Daehtihs View Post
                      Is that right?
                      I’d like to hear what you have to say about Trump’s plan to pardon war criminals (perhaps as early as this weekend).
                      To you I'm an atheist; but to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition.

Originally posted by -NPC-;n32500008

Trump is not creepy. He is lovable and charming.

Comment

it's okay, we are getting ready to pardon eddie gallagher. all things will remain in equilibrium.
                        {O,O}
                        (__(\
                        " "

Comment

Originally posted by RogueGnome View Post

Is that right?
                          I’d like to hear what you have to say about Trump’s plan to pardon war criminals (perhaps as early as this weekend).
                          If you`d like to differentiate on details I`d love to hear you argument on them vs Mr. Taliban. Those cases are not very clear cut as I read them.
                          Last edited by redEL34; 05-25-2019, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Daehtihs View Post
                            They used to do MUCH worse for MUCH less.

Comment

Originally posted by redEL34 View Post

If you`d like to differentiate on details I`d love to hear you argument on them vs Mr. Taliban. Those cases are not very clear cut as I read them.
                              i'm with red, just because his fellow seals said he was shooting unarmed children and old men doesn't mean they couldn't be terrorists some time in the future. gallagher is a real american hero who killed to protect our freedoms and he deserves our undying support.
                              {O,O}
                              (__(\
                              " "

Comment

Working...
                              X