No announcement yet.

Employment data:

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employment data:

Things just keep getting stronger and stronger in the labor market. This can't continue much longer unless we start to see more of an increase in the LFPR....(IMO).

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/u-job...123002653.html

Filings for U.S. unemployment benefits unexpectedly dipped to a five-week low, offering a fresh sign the job market remains historically tight amid other mixed signals on the economy.

Jobless claims fell 1,000 to 211,000 in the week ended May 18, according to Labor Department figures released Thursday that were below the median estimate of economists. The four-week average, which is typically a less volatile measure, declined to 220,250.
    [...]
    The third straight drop in claims suggests the labor market is still healthy amid the lowest unemployment rate in almost a half-century and steady wage gains. A separate report last week showed Americans are confident about their finances and the economy, with consumer sentiment jumping to a 15-year high in May.
    All political BS aside, this sort of economic strength would make this the right time to work on trade policy, as well as the right time to consider a minimum wage increase at the national level.
    Lease this space!

Originally posted by SteinbergerHack View Post
    Things just keep getting stronger and stronger in the labor market. This can't continue much longer unless we start to see more of an increase in the LFPR....(IMO).

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/u-job...123002653.html

All political BS aside, this sort of economic strength would make this the right time to work on trade policy, as well as the right time to consider a minimum wage increase at the national level.
    Minimum wage laws are textbook fascism. And when the minimum wage is increased, all it does is raise the price inflation floor. I would like to see it abolished.

Comment

Thanks Obama.

Comment

Originally posted by Donny G
        Gas is still a major issue to me, why isn't everyone asking what is going on. If memory serves me well, Obama told us he was just fine with 5 dollars a gallon and here we are, where is Trump on it, it doesn't make any sense. Democrats should be hounding on it.
        Gas prices are going to be higher when the economy is good. More trucks are moving goods around. More people working and traveling. People buy bigger gas guzzlers.

Supply and demand.

But yes. I do expect it to become an issue during the election because that’s how politics is played. But like so much else in the economy, presidents don’t really have that much effect on it.

Comment

I filled up with Chevron Regular yesterday at $2.56 a gallon. That is still high.

Comment

Originally posted by bildo View Post
            I filled up with Chevron Regular yesterday at $2.56 a gallon. That is still high.
            $2.56 is a bargain. What other petroleum product can you buy that cheap?

Seen the price of milk?
            tRump is NO star player. The ball simply bounced in his direction.

Comment

High compared to what?

Click image for larger version

Name:	GasPriceTrend.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	32524192
              Lease this space!

Comment

High compared to what?

Compared to when Trump was elected.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandler View Post

$2.56 is a bargain. What other petroleum product can you buy that cheap?

Seen the price of milk?
                  Even the cheap junk stuff is about a dollar a gallon higher around here. Chevron? It's like $3.85 I think.

Comment

High compared to what?

Back to the 2.00 area. We could easily do that with our production.

Comment

Back to the 2.00 area. We could easily do that with our production.
                      Perhaps with crude, but not with our refinery capacity.
                      Lease this space!

Comment

Originally posted by Donny G
                        Gas is still a major issue to me, why isn't everyone asking what is going on. If memory serves me well, Obama told us he was just fine with 5 dollars a gallon and here we are, where is Trump on it, it doesn't make any sense. Democrats should be hounding on it.
                        IIRC, you said you drive a Corvette, right?

Maybe it's time to consider a more fuel-efficient car?

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
                        - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
                        - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
                        - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

I pine for the days of yore when I could fill up for 2.56/gal. I just paid 4.36/gal to fill my car.
                          Sprinkles are for winners...

Comment

I paid a bit more here but that included the .30 cents of a gallon rewards at Fred Meyer.

Comment

Coming home from our camping trip I noticed a lot of help wanted signs everywhere. Arbys, Jiffy Lube, Brown Bear Car Wash, all kinds of low wage jobs out there. I'm retired and haven't been keeping up much on white collar/tech jobs. I do know that I'm getting lots of attention from my on-line resume recently that I threw together in about five minutes (one paragraph) for submission to engineering firms when I collected unemployment for the last 7 months back in 2017. I'm really surprised because for those few months I never got a single hit on the 2 submittals per week that was a requirement of the unemployment benefits.

Comment

Working...
                              X