Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Do any of you give in to the click-bait quizzes / can you guess / IQ Tests etc.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Do any of you give in to the click-bait quizzes / can you guess / IQ Tests etc.

You know, the ads that show up challenging you to how smart you are?

I did a couple that really interested me, like ID these WW2 planes. For the most part though I ignore.

It's a pretty good idea though for clicks I think. Probably works.
    http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Electric-Guitars/I-smeared-bacon-fat-on-my-strat-now-it-stinks/td-p/16697195

It's a way for Facebook and others to gather information about you the user, so they can more effectively target ads and news/opinion pieces.

I never take them.
    I'd get up
    If I knew I fell

---------------
    I love this record – ray
    https://soundcloud.com/ed-phobes

Comment

Originally posted by -Ed Phobes- View Post
      It's a way for Facebook and others to gather information about you the user, so they can more effectively target ads and news/opinion pieces.

I never take them.
      They also gather ad revenue at each (next question) click.
      http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Electric-Guitars/I-smeared-bacon-fat-on-my-strat-now-it-stinks/td-p/16697195

Comment

No. I'm pretty focused. I don't even read any of the chum boxes anymore.
        - The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it. - H.L. Mencken

Citizens and Residents Of The United States and U.S Persons - USA PATRIOT Act Notice: You are hereby notified that under the provisions of the USA PATRIOT Act, you may be placed under electronic surveillance while viewing this or any other similar web site by intelligence or law enforcement agencies at any time or for any purpose for which they may deem fit, without your knowledge or permission and without the order or supervision of any court of law. As the provisions of the Act strictly prohibit, with fines and imprisonment, the managers of this site from disclosing such surveillance should it become known to us, you should assume that you are under surveillance while viewing this or any other similar web site, electronic mail or any other form of electronic communication related thereto.

Comment

I can't resist those tests, particularly the "can you name these cars" tests. They are always way too easy, then they throw in one that only three people on earth have ever heard of.
          "Gimme a Pigfoot and a Bottle of Beer"

Comment

I love the “only a genius can solve this”... with a grade 2 arithmetic problem out like 7 + 2 * 3

You’d think there’s only 2 ways to solve this, one of which is what we learned in grade 2, but a quick look at all the posted answers shows far more creativity. It must help advertisers immensely to know who’s too dumb to realize they are too dumb to do simple arithmetic.

Comment

They are usually so easy I gave up on them unless I have a real interest in the subject.

Comment

No.

Comment

Originally posted by Into Nation View Post
                  You know, the ads that show up challenging you to how smart you are?

I did a couple that really interested me, like ID these WW2 planes. For the most part though I ignore.

It's a pretty good idea though for clicks I think. Probably works.
                  I am a big aviation buff... we've got plans to go to the Planes of Fame museum in Chino in a few weeks with my parents. I've been to a few aviation museums before, but never that one. It will be interesting to see whether or not they have anything there that I won't be able to recognize. All modesty aside, I kind of doubt it...

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
                  - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
                  - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
                  - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Originally posted by lerber3 View Post
                    I love the “only a genius can solve this”... with a grade 2 arithmetic problem out like 7 + 2 * 3
                    Those are the worst. They are purposefully written to be easy enough that everyone takes a crack at it, but vague enough so people argue over what is correct in the comments. It usually comes down to order of operations if you care enough to try to make sense out of a gibberish math problem that is meant to be clicked on, not solved.

There are also articles which I swear have obvious typos somewhere in the first sentence or two. In addition to all of the normal clicks, comments and shares, they get all of the grammar police clicks and comments as well. It's all the same to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

I am a big aviation buff... we've got plans to go to the Planes of Fame museum in Chino in a few weeks with my parents. I've been to a few aviation museums before, but never that one. It will be interesting to see whether or not they have anything there that I won't be able to recognize. All modesty aside, I kind of doubt it...
                      I've dragged Mrs. Arf to a few airplane museums over the years, most recently the USS Midway in San Diego.

-o-o-o-o-

No, I never click on the bait.
                      !

Comment

No. I refuse to cooperate with any site that requires clicking on page after page after page...
                        The photo ones too. Suckers paradise.
                        George Washington was the man who never told a lie. Richard Nixon was the man who never told the truth. Donald Trump is the man who doesn't know the difference.
                        Venezuela is what happens when you have Trump without the Madison.

Comment

Originally posted by arf-boy View Post

I've dragged Mrs. Arf to a few airplane museums over the years, most recently the USS Midway in San Diego.

-o-o-o-o-

No, I never click on the bait.
                          There's a really good one in McMinville, Oregon too. They have a SR-71 and a X-15, the Spruce Goose, rockets, etc.

https://www.evergreenmuseum.org/

George Washington was the man who never told a lie. Richard Nixon was the man who never told the truth. Donald Trump is the man who doesn't know the difference.
                          Venezuela is what happens when you have Trump without the Madison.

Comment

Another internet peeve... “hilarious” videos with a screeching laugh track.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoot Owl View Post
                              There's a really good one in McMinville, Oregon too. They have a SR-71 and a X-15, the Spruce Goose, rockets, etc.

https://www.evergreenmuseum.org/
                              The Spruce Goose used to be down here in Long Beach, and there's a SR-71 at the museum at March AFB (now March Air Reserve Base), so I've seen one of those too. I used to live on Merritt Island, which is where the Kennedy Space Center is, so not only have I seen static rocket displays, I've seen several launches - including one space shuttle launch that I observed from ~35,000 feet, and another mission that I saw both the launch of (at Canaveral) and the return to earth (at Edwards AFB).

I haven't seen a X-15 up-close though - that would be cool to see!

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
                              - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
                              - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
                              - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Working...
                              X