Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Installing an over the range microwave is a b*****h for one person!!!

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Installing an over the range microwave is a b*****h for one person!!!

We're upgrading our 21 year old appliances to stainless steel...that seems to be the craze, at least my wife thinks so...lol! Ordered the range and microwave a week or so ago...arrived yesterday afternoon. I never knew how heavy over the range microwaves are! Also would have been nice to have an outlet in the cabinet above, but no...I'm not that lucky! Anyway finally got the power run and both units installed....now for a well deserved glass of wine!

Click image for larger version

Name:	new stove and microwave.png
Views:	1
Size:	286.2 KB
ID:	32522120
    Guns Over People

I pledge my allegiance to David Hogg and Emma Gonzalez!!!

I never quite understood the idea of over the range microwaves. I'd rather a functional exhaust there. I know, counter space, but still...

Looks nice though!
    http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Electric-Guitars/I-smeared-bacon-fat-on-my-strat-now-it-stinks/td-p/16697195

Comment

Originally posted by Into Nation View Post
      I never quite understood the idea of over the range microwaves. I'd rather a functional exhaust there. I know, counter space, but still...

Looks nice though!
      We had a hood with a fan over it before...but all it did was recirculate the air, it wasn't vented outside. The microwave does the same thing.
      Guns Over People

Comment

Name:	0022215E-E809-4B31-9939-0121BC81B98B.jpeg
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	32522155

Hideeho neighborino

Comment

Originally posted by Hoddy View Post

We had a hood with a fan over it before...but all it did was recirculate the air, it wasn't vented outside. The microwave does the same thing.
          Yea, mine is like that. Pushes though a filter, but does little I think. I guess just keep an eye on the underside of the microwave for heat/grease etc.
          http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Electric-Guitars/I-smeared-bacon-fat-on-my-strat-now-it-stinks/td-p/16697195

Comment

I work at what I do well so I can afford to pay others to do what they do well.

BTW, stainless steel appliances are sooo 2008. Truffle brown and graphite grey are the trendy finishes now.

Comment

A bottle jack and some 2X4 rips, no problem. Every man should have a bottle jack in his tool collection for just this sort of thing. It isn't just for changing a tire.
              - The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it. - H.L. Mencken

Citizens and Residents Of The United States and U.S Persons - USA PATRIOT Act Notice: You are hereby notified that under the provisions of the USA PATRIOT Act, you may be placed under electronic surveillance while viewing this or any other similar web site by intelligence or law enforcement agencies at any time or for any purpose for which they may deem fit, without your knowledge or permission and without the order or supervision of any court of law. As the provisions of the Act strictly prohibit, with fines and imprisonment, the managers of this site from disclosing such surveillance should it become known to us, you should assume that you are under surveillance while viewing this or any other similar web site, electronic mail or any other form of electronic communication related thereto.

Comment

Originally posted by -NPC- View Post

Name:	0022215E-E809-4B31-9939-0121BC81B98B.jpeg
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	32522155

Hideeho neighborino
                He is microwaving his neighbor's head?
                "Gimme a Pigfoot and a Bottle of Beer"

Comment

Originally posted by Idunno View Post
                  A bottle jack and some 2X4 rips, no problem. Every man should have a bottle jack in his tool collection for just this sort of thing. It isn't just for changing a tire.
                  For some reason, I was reading that as "a bottle of Jack". It can be a useful tool.

Comment

Originally posted by williegoat View Post

For some reason, I was reading that as "a bottle of Jack". It can be a useful tool.
                    Same here!
                    Guns Over People

Comment

It looks like it's sagging on the right. Or is it the cabinet doors that are off?

Comment

Originally posted by nedezero1 View Post
                        It looks like it's sagging on the right. Or is it the cabinet doors that are off?
                        It's the doors...the microwave is dead level.
                        Guns Over People

Comment

Originally posted by nedezero1 View Post
                          I think that is an illusion because of a short focal length lens and the relatively high and offset position of the camera.

Originally posted by Hoddy View Post

It's the doors...the microwave is dead level.
                          OK, never mind.
                          Last edited by williegoat; 05-19-2019, 04:06 PM.

Comment

We are on our second house with overhead microwaves. Not only are they a chore to install, they cost way more than a counter model. The one in our previous house went down two or three times. It was a problem with the safety door detection switches. I guess I got the final repair right, 'cause we live next door and that stupid thing is still working. The one in my camper lost its mind one night at a festival. I kept waking to beeps, and getting up to check the CO and propane alarms. I finally figured it was the microwave, which in RV's is a screwed in unit that's easy to remove, so I unplugged it for the rest of the trip, then converted the space to a shelf and bought a smaller dimension microwave and strapped it in to the slot.
                            "Truth is what stands the test of experience."

...Albert Einstein

Comment

Congratulations! Many years ago I installed a replacement over cooktop microwave oven with my father-in-law. The cooktop was a drop-in, so we had to hold the unit awkwardly over the cooktop while trying several times to align it with the bracket. My back an shoulders still ache every time I think about it. Mother-in-law had very limited counter space, so there was not an alternative.
                              Last edited by capitalist; 05-19-2019, 08:24 PM.
                              "Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has." - Martin Luther

Comment

Working...
                              X