Clear All

• House approves anti-LGBT discrimination Equality Act

Sounds great right?

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4...imination-bill

How could anyone disapprove?

• Vito Corleone
    replied
    Originally posted by Idunno View Post
    Opponents argued the bill “is anything but equalizing,” in the words of Rep. Vicky Hartzler (R-Mo.).

“In fact, this bill legalizes discrimination — government imposed top-down discrimination against those with time-honored views of marriage and gender,” she said in remarks on the floor ahead of the vote.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is true. The bill can't address both sides of the argument so, in it's own repose, it's an open act of discrimination from a biased demographic. You just can't have it both ways.

Same sex preference and those averse to it are as old as mankind itself and, for the sake of peaceful relations, they have been mutually inured of each other. Equality has never been a feature of man's inwardly directed energies on any level and barring culture, nationalism, geography, economics, language, and whole array of agents of diversity, same sex preferences will be in the queue a long time before being embraced in the heart. It doesn't count for anything until then. That's because biology has been the torch bearer of normal sex relations. By that standard, same sex is considered abnormal and no heterosexual steeped in his religious teachings will simply drop his god-graced morality because some politically motivated simpletons pass a law demanding it.

You have to prove two things first; 1) Man sets his own moral standards because there isn't such a thing as a god or any other metaphysical influence over him. 2) Politicos are in it from the heart.

Good luck.

What is normal is the mutual awareness on both sides of the sexual preference fulcrum that has always been weighted to the biologically normal side. There is no manner of legislation that can make a person embrace (with equality) an abnormal person as his equal.
    Strawman Extraordinaire

the law doesn’t prevent anyone from hating on gays or transgender folks if that’s what someone wants to do. Nor does it force anyone to accept them or anything about them.

It just prevents people from being able to use the power of the government to discriminate against them.

Leave a comment:

• Idunno
    replied
    Opponents argued the bill “is anything but equalizing,” in the words of Rep. Vicky Hartzler (R-Mo.).

“In fact, this bill legalizes discrimination — government imposed top-down discrimination against those with time-honored views of marriage and gender,” she said in remarks on the floor ahead of the vote.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is true. The bill can't address both sides of the argument so, in it's own repose, it's an open act of discrimination from a biased demographic. You just can't have it both ways.

Same sex preference and those averse to it are as old as mankind itself and, for the sake of peaceful relations, they have been mutually inured of each other. Equality has never been a feature of man's inwardly directed energies on any level and barring culture, nationalism, geography, economics, language, and whole array of agents of diversity, same sex preferences will be in the queue a long time before being embraced in the heart. It doesn't count for anything until then. That's because biology has been the torch bearer of normal sex relations. By that standard, same sex is considered abnormal and no heterosexual steeped in his religious teachings will simply drop his god-graced morality because some politically motivated simpletons pass a law demanding it.

You have to prove two things first; 1) Man sets his own moral standards because there isn't such a thing as a god or any other metaphysical influence over him. 2) Politicos are in it from the heart.

Good luck.

What is normal is the mutual awareness on both sides of the sexual preference fulcrum that has always been weighted to the biologically normal side. There is no manner of legislation that can make a person embrace (with equality) an abnormal person as his equal.

Leave a comment:

• nedezero1
    replied
    What this bill actually does is try to assign civil rights to behavior...as opposed to genetic attributes.

Kind of like religion I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Fartboski
    replied
    Originally posted by Hoot Owl View Post
    Eh, they have co-ed bathrooms in Europe and it works okay. Are we not grown up enough to handle it?
    It works well in the US, too. Eventually most people will get over it.

Leave a comment:

• Hoot Owl
    replied
    Originally posted by guido61 View Post

That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.

First of all, to the degree we are talking about schools, you can’t just “pose” as somebody and get to use a locker room with the kids. We are talking about kids who are enrolled students for whom the parents and teachers all know this is how this kid lives his/her life. Adults don’t get to just stroll into school bathrooms and locker rooms period. “Posing” as another gender or not.

Second of all, to the degree we are talking about other public/government operated restrooms such as parks, swimming pools, etc, there is nothing to stop someone from dressing up as another sex and going inside to molest someone now. (if they believe the clothes will somehow help them get away with such things. Which in and of itself is kinda silly).

This law wont make it easier for anyone to do such things. It’s not like we have people checking genitalia at the door.
    bold ^
    Uh, yeah, we do. That's my weekend job.

Good point on 'anyone could dress up now'. The law would change nothing, when you consider that.

Leave a comment:

• Vito Corleone
    replied
    Originally posted by williegoat View Post
    That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.

First of all, to the degree we are talking about schools, you can’t just “pose” as somebody and get to use a locker room with the kids. We are talking about kids who are enrolled students for whom the parents and teachers all know this is how this kid lives his/her life. Adults don’t get to just stroll into school bathrooms and locker rooms period. “Posing” as another gender or not.

Second of all, to the degree we are talking about other public/government operated restrooms such as parks, swimming pools, etc, there is nothing to stop someone from dressing up as another sex and going inside to molest someone now. (if they believe the clothes will somehow help them get away with such things. Which in and of itself is kinda silly).

This law wont make it easier for anyone to do such things. It’s not like we have people checking genitalia at the door.

Leave a comment:

• williegoat
    replied

That’s fine but that makes no sense for an analogy to a public restroom.
    The analogy was not about a public restroom, but rather about the ability of laws to prevent crime.

Leave a comment:

• Vito Corleone
    replied
    That is obviously absurd. I allow friends and some strangers into my home, but not everyone.
    That’s fine but that makes no sense for an analogy to a public restroom.

Leave a comment:

• williegoat
    replied
    https://downloads.frc.org/EF/EF16F27.pdf
    It is important to note that the concern is not that transgendered individuals are more likely to be sexual predators, but rather that sexual predators could exploit such laws by posing as transgendered in order to gain access to women and girls.

Leave a comment:

• williegoat
    replied

With that logic we should just keep everyone out of the restrooms them.
    That is obviously absurd. I allow friends and some strangers into my home, but not everyone.

Leave a comment:

• Vito Corleone
    replied
    There are laws against burglary, but I still have an alarm and locks on my doors.
    With that logic we should just keep everyone out of the restrooms them.

Leave a comment:

• Vito Corleone
    replied
    Did you read the article? This took place inside a private home and the assailant was a friend of the family.

Sadly, this kind of abuse of kids from friends and family members happens all too often. That the assailant was transgendered doesn’t really seem to have any significance to the story at all. In spite of the media’s desire to sensationalize that point and put it in the headline.

The truth is that I know of no evidence to suggest that transgender folks are more likely than others to commit sexual abuse crimes, but they certainly are more likely to be victims. So in that regard, this law probably will prevent more abuse of people than it will allow.

Also, this story you linked aside, my experience and understanding is that most transgender people are attracted to people of the sex opposite of the one with which they identify.

If preventing sexual molestations and such is your goal, forcing the person who believes themselves to be a girl in with the boys is probably the opposite of what you should be doing.

Last edited by Vito Corleone; 05-18-2019, 03:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• williegoat
    replied

And as far as denying them opportunity, what evidence do you have that transgendered people are any more likely to commit illegal acts in one restroom as opposed to another?
    I have made no such claim.

Leave a comment:

• williegoat
    replied

as far as people with ill intent, I’m pretty sure there are already laws on the books to address any such actions that might occur in a public restroom.
    There are laws against burglary, but I still have an alarm and locks on my doors.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X