No announcement yet.

House approves anti-LGBT discrimination Equality Act

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by onelife View Post

That's the physical part - we are complex beings.

There are people who are sexually attracted to people of the same sex. We accept them as they are and no longer persecute them.

There are people who self-identify as something different than your accepted norm. If they do not cause harm to others then there is no reason not to respect them as they see themselves.
    I do not deny anyone their feelings or beliefs, but I believe that women and children deserve privacy and respect. We should allow them a space where they can feel safe.
    "Gimme a Pigfoot and a Bottle of Beer"

Comment

Originally posted by williegoat View Post

I do not deny anyone their feelings or beliefs, but I believe that women and children deserve privacy and respect. We should allow them a space where they can feel safe.
      Which is precisely the point of the law.

Comment

Originally posted by guido61 View Post

Even assuming that’s true for the sake of argument—

if there is a kid who is born with a vagina who insists they are nonetheless a boy and lives their life as a boy and the parents agree and want their child raised as a boy—

—what business is it of the government to step in and try to dictate otherwise?

once again—supposedly small government conservatives banding together in order to use the power of the government to tell other people how to live their lives.

I just dont get it.
        My above answer applies here as well.

Comment

Which is precisely the point of the law.
          No, the law prohibits anyone from securing a safe, private space within any public space.

We owe women and children protection.
          Last edited by williegoat; 05-18-2019, 12:55 PM.

Comment

We’re getting closer to an authoritarian nation all the time.
            Conservatives will have everyone carrying their proof of citizenship papers with them and their birth certificate for gender ID.
            Let’s cut to the chase and just get our number tattooed on our arms and be done with it.
            Herr Drumpf approves.
            To you I'm an atheist; but to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition.

Originally posted by -NPC-;n32500008

Trump is not creepy. He is lovable and charming.

Comment

Keep your government hands out of my underwear.
              To you I'm an atheist; but to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition.

Originally posted by -NPC-;n32500008

Trump is not creepy. He is lovable and charming.

Comment

No, the law prohibits anyone from securing a safe, private space within any public space.

We owe women and children protection.
                Protection from what?

What is it you are fearing, exactly? That some chick with a penis is going to use the stall next to your wife’s? Unless she’s sticking her head over the wall, hows she even gonna know?

you do realize this stuff has been going on for decades don’t you? Transgendered people have been using the bathroom of their choice without incident for years. But 99 times out of a hundred no one even notices because. as a general rule, people are pretty good about keeping such things to themselves while doing their duty.

Sorry, but I am not at all understanding what the fear is all about.
                Last edited by Vito Corleone; 05-18-2019, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Protection from what?

What is it you are fearing, exactly? That some chick with a penis is going to use the stall next to your wife’s? Unless she’s sticking her head over the wall, hows she even gonna know?

you do realize this stuff has been going on for decades don’t you? Transgendered people have been using the bathroom of their choice without incident for years. But 99 times out of a hundred no one even notices because. as a general rule, people are pretty good about keeping such things to themselves while doing their duty.

Sorry, but I am not at all understanding what the fear is all about.
                  Why do you characterize my duty to protect those who might be less able to defend themselves as fear?

Comment

Why do you characterize my duty to protect those who might be less able to defend themselves as fear?
                    someone is obviously afraid of something here. Otherwise why would such a law bother you?

Defend themselves from what?

Comment

someone is obviously afraid of something here.
                      Can you cite an indication of fear?

Otherwise why would such a law bother you?
                      I have already explained some of my objections.

Defend themselves from what?
                      Those with ill intent, we cannot deny that some people are evil and dishonest. We must do what we can to deny them the opportunity to do harm.

Comment

Can you cite an indication of fear?

I have already explained some of my objections.

Those with ill intent, we cannot deny that some people are evil and dishonest. We must do what we can to deny them the opportunity to do harm.
                        I’m not trying to characterize your position as fear. But when you use phrases such as “we must defend and ensure safety” that begs the logical question of “from WHAT”?

as far as people with ill intent, I’m pretty sure there are already laws on the books to address any such actions that might occur in a public restroom.

And as far as denying them opportunity, what evidence do you have that transgendered people are any more likely to commit illegal acts in one restroom as opposed to another?

Comment

I’m not trying to characterize your position as fear. But when you use phrases such as “we must defend and ensure safety” that begs the logical question of “from WHAT”?
                          Here is an example: https://www.foxnews.com/us/transgend...rl-in-bathroom

Comment

as far as people with ill intent, I’m pretty sure there are already laws on the books to address any such actions that might occur in a public restroom.
                            There are laws against burglary, but I still have an alarm and locks on my doors.

Comment

And as far as denying them opportunity, what evidence do you have that transgendered people are any more likely to commit illegal acts in one restroom as opposed to another?
                              I have made no such claim.

Comment

Did you read the article? This took place inside a private home and the assailant was a friend of the family.

Sadly, this kind of abuse of kids from friends and family members happens all too often. That the assailant was transgendered doesn’t really seem to have any significance to the story at all. In spite of the media’s desire to sensationalize that point and put it in the headline.

The truth is that I know of no evidence to suggest that transgender folks are more likely than others to commit sexual abuse crimes, but they certainly are more likely to be victims. So in that regard, this law probably will prevent more abuse of people than it will allow.

Also, this story you linked aside, my experience and understanding is that most transgender people are attracted to people of the sex opposite of the one with which they identify.

If preventing sexual molestations and such is your goal, forcing the person who believes themselves to be a girl in with the boys is probably the opposite of what you should be doing.

Last edited by Vito Corleone; 05-18-2019, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X