Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

House approves anti-LGBT discrimination Equality Act

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • House approves anti-LGBT discrimination Equality Act

    Sounds great right?

    https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4...imination-bill

    How could anyone disapprove?


  • #2
    The admin official quoted referred to some “poison pills” in the bill, wonder what those are specifically.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by nedezero1 View Post
      Sounds great right?

      https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4...imination-bill

      How could anyone disapprove?
      I’m sure Mitch will.

      Expect this to die in the Senate

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by nedezero1 View Post
        Sounds great right?

        https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4...imination-bill

        How could anyone disapprove?
        You'd have to ask the 173 reps (all from your side of the aisle) why they disapproved.

        I'm guessing you disapprove; enlighten us to your reasons.
        __________________________________________________
        Politics are like sports, where both teams suck

        Maybe we can all just agree that Bush was stupid and Cheney was lying and call it a day. - guitarcapo

        Originally posted by Grumpy_Polecat View Post
        For the record: Hitler using gas to exterminate his presumed enemies does not equal the use of chemical weapons.
        Reprehensible as it was, gassing was a conventional and accepted method for execution at the time. It is a stretch to equivocate the two.

        Comment


        • #5
          The Democrats, knowing that even on the slim chance McConnell even brings this to a vote, it will fail in the Senate, are just playing politics and playing to their base.

          There is a popular school of thought that thinks that the Democrats passing bills like this one, showing the Republicans as obstructionists, and showing the people they're trying to do the work the people elected them to do, will play well in the 2020 elections.

          There are many factors that will be at play in 2020, and I don't know how much impact these kinds of actions will have. But I believe it can influence a few voters.
          Last edited by wasgtrjones; 05-17-2019, 07:02 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by prolurkerguy View Post
            The admin official quoted referred to some “poison pills” in the bill, wonder what those are specifically.
            I haven't read it, but from I'm understanding it requires some people to partake in other people's fantasies and delusions. I.E "gender identity".

            Stuff like that.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by E-money View Post

              You'd have to ask the 173 reps (all from your side of the aisle) why they disapproved.

              I'm guessing you disapprove; enlighten us to your reasons.
              I'll never disapprove of equal treatment.

              I'll always disapprove of forcing people to partake in the fantasies of others.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by nedezero1 View Post

                I haven't read it, but from I'm understanding it requires some people to partake in other people's fantasies and delusions. I.E "gender identity".

                Stuff like that.
                Your political party is steeped in fantasies and delusions about the baby Jesus.

                __________________________________________________
                Politics are like sports, where both teams suck

                Maybe we can all just agree that Bush was stupid and Cheney was lying and call it a day. - guitarcapo

                Originally posted by Grumpy_Polecat View Post
                For the record: Hitler using gas to exterminate his presumed enemies does not equal the use of chemical weapons.
                Reprehensible as it was, gassing was a conventional and accepted method for execution at the time. It is a stretch to equivocate the two.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by wasgtrjones View Post
                  The Democrats, knowing that even on the slim chance McConnell even brings this to a vote, it will fail in the Senate, are just playing politics and playing to their base.

                  There is a popular school of thought that thinks that the Democrats passing bills like this one, showing the Republicans as obstructionists, and showing the people they're trying to do the work the people elected them to do, will play well in the 2020 elections.

                  There are many factors that will be at play in 2020, and I don't know how much impact these kinds of actions will have. But I believe it can influence a few voters.
                  What will play well is them passing bills on issues the people elected them to address.

                  Is this one of them? For some, no doubt.

                  Will the Republican House take up ANY of them? Very few, I would imagine.

                  But they still need to do it

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    That bill is ghey..... literally.

                    But I’m more interested if the LGBTQ community has reinstated the Q word. Or if it is okay to be said by members of the LGBTQ community only. Like the N word is okay for African Americans only.

                    My writing depends on this info. Because I am desperately clinging on to my last mirage of relevancy.........
                    __________________________________________________ _________
                    arcadesonfire:
                    And even if I were complaining about Democrats in general, I think it's healthy to critique one's own kind
                    ______________________________________________ _________
                    guido61: Nobody wants to be around No Fun Trump
                    __________________________________________________ ______
                    Zig al-din: The whole concept of a polite political dialogue is an oxymoron
                    _____________________________________________ _________
                    ​prolurkerguy: Knee jerk + soap box = injury waiting to happen

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by nedezero1 View Post

                      I haven't read it, but from I'm understanding it requires some people to partake in other people's fantasies and delusions. I.E "gender identity".

                      Stuff like that.
                      Please explain how it forces people to partake.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Here is the bill: https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-...se-bill/5/text

                        Here is the summary:
                        This bill prohibits discrimination based on sex, sexual orientation, and gender identity in areas including public accommodations and facilities, education, federal funding, employment, housing, credit, and the jury system. Specifically, the bill defines and includes sex, sexual orientation, and gender identity among the prohibited categories of discrimination or segregation.

                        The bill expands the definition of public accommodations to include places or establishments that provide (1) exhibitions, recreation, exercise, amusement, gatherings, or displays; (2) goods, services, or programs; and (3) transportation services.

                        The bill allows the Department of Justice to intervene in equal protection actions in federal court on account of sexual orientation or gender identity.

                        The bill prohibits an individual from being denied access to a shared facility, including a restroom, a locker room, and a dressing room, that is in accordance with the individual's gender identity.
                        The last sentence above is sure to cause some consternation, at the very least.


                        Here is where it restricts the free exercise of religion:
                        SEC. 1107. CLAIMS.

                        “The Religious Freedom Restoration Act of 1993 (42 U.S.C. 2000bb et seq.) shall not provide a claim concerning, or a defense to a claim under, a covered title, or provide a basis for challenging the application or enforcement of a covered title.”.
                        Last edited by williegoat; 05-17-2019, 10:06 PM.
                        "Gimme a Pigfoot and a Bottle of Beer"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by nedezero1 View Post

                          I'll never disapprove of equal treatment.

                          I'll always disapprove of forcing people to partake in the fantasies of others.
                          It may appear as fantasy to you but for those who experience it, it is very real.

                          I don't quite get the "forcing people to partake" bit of your post.
                          Every worm, every insect, every animal is working
                          for the ecological wellbeing of the planet.

                          Only we humans, who claim to be the most intelligent
                          species here, are not doing that. ~Sadhguru

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by onelife View Post

                            It may appear as fantasy to you but for those who experience it, it is very real.

                            I don't quite get the "forcing people to partake" bit of your post.
                            I think he’s upset that while can keep believing it’s a fantasy, that he may not be allowed to force that belief upon others in the workplace and such
                            Last edited by Vito Corleone; 05-17-2019, 10:07 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by guido61 View Post

                              I think he’s upset that while can keep believing it’s a fantasy, that he may not be allowed to force that belief upon others in the workplace and such
                              Some people aren't happy unless they have something irrelevant to be upset about.

                              Throw-away lines often ring true.

                              Ed Phoebes man...if this band I know called Rexella took acid (well more than they already have) then ate radioactive squirrel steaks for dinner then mated with (ugh) that white stripes girl and then killed her and ate her heart...that's Ed Phoebes to me. – Pepper Rhodes

                              https://soundcloud.com/ed-phobes

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X