No announcement yet.

Thoughts on the current NRA?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• arcadesonfire
    started a topic Thoughts on the current NRA?

Thoughts on the current NRA?

What do NRA members here think about the institution lately? Is it still what you signed up for? Is it becoming too political? Or is it doing what you think it should?

I'm less curious about whatever internal battles they're having over funds appropriation, LaPierre, Oliver North, etc. I'm more curious to hear takes on what the new president, Carolyn Meadows, has said about their priorities.

In an interview with her hometown newspaper, Meadows said this is the biggest priority for the organization right now:

"We’re going to work to get Donald Trump reelected, unity, and that’s primarily it, to be politically active, to bring gun-toters into the fold, to get more gun-toters to join NRA,” she said. “It’s a powerful lobby, not just for gun rights, but for rights. We believe in the Constitution. When we take our oath of office we actually swear allegiance to the Constitution of the United States. That’s why I do it."

I could understand why people for whom the 2nd amendment is the most important issue felt compelled to vote for the Republican in 2016, but it seems that the more intellectual NRA members I know are not the world's biggest Trump fans. (I think Davo is the only NRA guy here who loved Trump to pieces.)

Do you think the organization is currently aiming for partisan causes? Would it be better for them to be less vocal about Trump and more vocal about trying to convince Democrats and swing voters to understand/agree with their perspectives on gun control?

OTOH though, I could understand if people from Planned Parenthood were to say their top priority right now would be getting a pro-choice president.... On that note though, the NRA leadership could simply speak of keeping a pro-2nd president, rather than speaking about specifically Trump.
    Last edited by arcadesonfire; 05-16-2019, 11:01 AM.

• arcadesonfire
    replied
    Originally posted by NOS68 View Post

I'm not at all happy about their support of trump and his allies and have let them know it.

I'm not a fan of their leadership either at the moment.

It disturbs me quite a bit how they ignore all trump's faults and slights of them.

Trump has been no friend of the 2nd and has completely ignored all the 2nd issues he ran on. I can't fathom why they still support him. I can see why they did in 16 with the SC in play but now nope.
    Sounds reasonable to me. As far as the leadership, money and power (getting one's ego fed) can corrupt even those who begin with the finest intentions. As for turning a blind eye to Trump while paying him endless platitudes.... It's hard to tell whether the leadership does it knowingly, with full consciousness that they're not following the organization's original goals or constitutional creeds; if this were the case, then leadership could be appearing to love Trump as an ends to justify the means for getting more donations and attention for their cause. But I also wonder if they are unaware or blind to how they've strayed from promoting constitutional norms over toward supporting a breaker of constitutional norms. What I mean is, I suspect that a lot of people (including myself at times) will unknowingly break their intellectual integrity (on matters of proper government in this case) due to subconscious pressures, such as being "sick" of the opposing political party or feeling an unwavering trust that their own side must be doing the right thing if it is in opposition to the other side. This would be the "tribalism" issue I always mention. Though I'm not perfect... In retrospect, since I'm in a state that would never vote for Trump, my vote for Clinton could have been a manner of team fervor on election day, a matter of pride, as I wanted to be able to say forever "I voted against Donald Trump" rather than looking at the matter more pragmatically.
    Last edited by arcadesonfire; 06-04-2019, 10:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• roughtrade
    replied
    Originally posted by NOS68 View Post

I'm not at all happy about their support of trump and his allies and have let them know it.

It disturbs me quite a bit how they ignore all trump's faults and slights of them.

Trump has been no friend of the 2nd and has completely ignored all the 2nd issues he ran on. I can't fathom why they still support him. I can see why they did in 16 with the SC in play but now nope.
    Since they have been under the leadership of Lapierre the organization has been a funding arm of the GOP dressed up as an organization of gun enthusiasts. It really burns my hide, too.

Leave a comment:

• NOS68
    replied
    Originally posted by arcadesonfire View Post
    What do NRA members here think about the institution lately? Is it still what you signed up for? Is it becoming too political? Or is it doing what you think it should?

I'm less curious about whatever internal battles they're having over funds appropriation, LaPierre, Oliver North, etc. I'm more curious to hear takes on what the new president, Carolyn Meadows, has said about their priorities.

In an interview with her hometown newspaper, Meadows said this is the biggest priority for the organization right now:

"We’re going to work to get Donald Trump reelected, unity, and that’s primarily it, to be politically active, to bring gun-toters into the fold, to get more gun-toters to join NRA,” she said. “It’s a powerful lobby, not just for gun rights, but for rights. We believe in the Constitution. When we take our oath of office we actually swear allegiance to the Constitution of the United States. That’s why I do it."

I could understand why people for whom the 2nd amendment is the most important issue felt compelled to vote for the Republican in 2016, but it seems that the more intellectual NRA members I know are not the world's biggest Trump fans. (I think Davo is the only NRA guy here who loved Trump to pieces.)

Do you think the organization is currently aiming for partisan causes? Would it be better for them to be less vocal about Trump and more vocal about trying to convince Democrats and swing voters to understand/agree with their perspectives on gun control?

OTOH though, I could understand if people from Planned Parenthood were to say their top priority right now would be getting a pro-choice president.... On that note though, the NRA leadership could simply speak of keeping a pro-2nd president, rather than speaking about specifically Trump.

Leave a comment:

• NOS68
    replied
    Originally posted by guido61 View Post

I guess the good news is that the NRA is no longer has to pretend that they are still all just about gun safety and education any longer.
    They've been open about their political activities, when have they pretended any different?

If it's as you say they're not very good at keeping secrets.

https://www.nraila.org/about/

For most of their existence it wasn't necessary as nobody was trying to outlaw owning certain types of weapons like handguns and semiautomatic rifles.

Leave a comment:

• arcadesonfire
    replied
    Necro’ing the thread for a little fairness: I’m currently looking at a subway ad for high fashion brand MMLafleur featuring Cecile Richards at a desk in fine clothes, with a description of her causes and passions overlayed. She’s no longer leader of PP, and I don’t think any donor money could be part of this—instead probably just the designer giving her clothes. Regardless, my point is that lobbying for one’s beliefs can lead to celebrity and goodies for both righties and lefties. (Though again, she isn’t abusing PP donors’ money here.)

Leave a comment:

• arcadesonfire
    replied
    Originally posted by nedezero1 View Post

Not a member, but I do like American Rifleman magazine, the museum, and their gun education efforts.

As far as a lobbying group, I have no use for that.

Just like I don't have any use for Planned Parenthood as a lobbying group.

FWIW, Planned Parenthood lobbies for the right to kill unborn humans. The NRA lobbies for the constitutional right to bear arms, ultimately for the purpose of preserving life through the defense of the defensless.

I should’ve said thanks for sharing your opinion. I tend to think lobbying groups can serve an important purpose, especially in regards to educating folks (whether it be about differences between an AR15 and M16 or the stages of impregnation) and advising/informing representatives. And it seems to me this can be done without greed. But when groups with specific interests (2nd amendment or family planning) turn to supporting one party or president as their highest priority, then it’s no bueno.

Leave a comment:

• Hoot Owl
    replied
    Originally posted by panhandler View Post

The NRA lobbies for the right of everyone to own a gun. So when you snap out you can take your gun and kill born humans.

imo
    Gun owners don't snap. They pop.

Leave a comment:

• panhandler
    replied

Not a member, but I do like American Rifleman magazine, the museum, and their gun education efforts.

FWIW, Planned Parenthood lobbies for the right to kill unborn humans. The NRA lobbies for the constitutional right to bear arms, ultimately for the purpose of preserving life through the defense of the defensless.
    The NRA lobbies for the right of everyone to own a gun. So when you snap out you can take your gun and kill born humans.

imo

Leave a comment:

• powbob01
    replied
    Originally posted by Hoot Owl View Post
    I just head a fine quote. It goes something like this:

Money doesn't corrupt. Money exposes the true person that was always there.
    As does alcohol.

Leave a comment:

• SteinbergerHack
    replied

Yes, that would be a better approach.

I have no reason to believe that DJ Trump is pro 2A, and it is quite clear from conversations here and elsewhere that we could use some politically neutral education efforts.

I think that helping share facts that would help bridge the divide would be far more helpful than focusing on elections, per se. NRA has adopted the political methods used by labor unions; how has that worked for the union membership numbers?
    Last edited by SteinbergerHack; 05-17-2019, 05:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• nedezero1
    replied

Well, I was asking for opinions. I suspect/assume you're being facetious there. I can't remember whether you're an NRA member/supporter or not. Do you have any thoughts on what the new president said is their current top goal?

Leave a comment:

• Vito Corleone
    replied
    Originally posted by redEL34 View Post
    I don`t have any interest in the NRA. It says in the Constitution I can have a gun. So there.
    That pretty much sums it up. The right to keep and bear arms is going nowhere. But those who run the NRA have made themselves fabulously wealthy by scaring people into believing someone out there is coming for their guns and the only way to stop them is the send money to the NRA.

Pretty nice racket. While it lasted, anyway. Donald Trump is probably envious which is probably why he likes to align himself with them.

Leave a comment:

• arcadesonfire
    replied
    Ummm NRA is bad mmkayyy...
    Well, I was asking for opinions. I suspect/assume you're being facetious there. I can't remember whether you're an NRA member/supporter or not. Do you have any thoughts on what the new president said is their current top goal?

Leave a comment:

• arcadesonfire
    replied
    Originally posted by RogueGnome View Post
    Second highest paid non-profit org (outside of the medical industry) exec.
    Very low paid staff,
    Underfunded retirement fund for the underpaid staff.
    Associated with Oliver North and Donald Trump.
    What's not to like?
    Wow. I read your post shortly before discovering the story on NPR last night about this. LaPierre had a six-figure fund for clothes. Sheesh. I could never understand spending tens of thousands of dollars on clothes. If your company is giving you tens or hundreds of thousands to spend on something superfluous, there's only one thing that that money should buy: GEAR.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X