Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: New CDDC (compact disc digital recorder) day!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by guido61 View Post

They still make those?

Just kidding, but the truth is good luck even finding blank CDs in stores anymore.
    I've had a 100-CDR spindle for the last 10 years, and I think I've burned all of 3 CDs in all this time. I don't actuslly foresee ever burning a CD again.

Hoddy, if you have trouble sourcing blank CDRs I'll happily send mine your way!
    Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

-- Vaclav Havel

The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

-- Carl Sagan

Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

Originally posted by Hoddy View Post

There are tons of them on Ebay...I ordered 30 Memorex music CDRsf for $13 on Sunday...got them today.
      That's kinda pricey, to be honest. Check your local Office Depot. They've probably still got a spindle or two of 100 for $20 or something.

I've got a few hundred blank CD-Rs on a shelf that I'll never use but can't bring myself to just toss either. I still use blank DVDs and BluRay discs from time to time for the multi-channel recordings I collect, but I'll probably never use the CDs. Not sure how well they hold up after so many years or how many CD-RWs are among them, but you're welcome to them if you want to pay the shipping.

I've even got a bunch that hold 90 and 99 minutes of music, but not every burner will burn those and not every player will play them if you put that much music on them.
      Last edited by guido61; 05-15-2019, 06:15 PM.

Comment

They still make those?

Just kidding, but the truth is good luck even finding blank CDs in stores anymore.
        Try finding blank cassettes too for a 4 track. I have 1 still wrapped, Memorex Type II. I got my first 4 track for my 16th birthday. That one is long gone, but I still had ALL the tapes, dozens. My wife somehow happened to find out which one it was(that really matters) and found it on ebay. I still have all those tapes from almost 30 years ago. I digitized a lot of them. I was really shocked at the level of creativity I had then.

Comment

Originally posted by redEL34 View Post

Try finding blank cassettes too for a 4 track. I have 1 still wrapped, Memorex Type II. I got my first 4 track for my 16th birthday. That one is long gone, but I still had ALL the tapes, dozens. My wife somehow happened to find out which one it was(that really matters) and found it on ebay. I still have all those tapes from almost 30 years ago. I digitized a lot of them. I was really shocked at the level of creativity I had then.
          Do they even still make blank cassettes? Probably not.

I had a few still-wrapped blanks until just a couple of years ago when I finally just tossed every cassette I had except the few that are "masters" of band recordings I did years ago. I transferred them all to the computer long ago but I still keep them just because they are the "masters", I guess. lol.

Plus you never know what will happen to computer discs. Although I DO back up all the important stuff.

Sorry I didn't keep those blanks! I'd have let you have 'em, no doubt!
          Last edited by guido61; 05-15-2019, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Do they even still make blank cassettes? Probably not.

I had a few still-wrapped blanks until just a couple of years ago when I finally just tossed every cassette I had except the few that are "masters" of band recordings I did years ago. I transferred them all the computer long ago but I still keep them just because they are the "masters", I guess. lol.

Plus you never know what will happen to computer discs. Although I DO back up all the important stuff.

Sorry I didn't keep those blanks! I'd have let you have 'em, no doubt!
            Well I certainly appreciate that! I have ONE I`m saving for..I don`t know. I have a working 4 track and I`m actually amazed at how good they really sounded, especially imported with some digital help. It`s damn near a preferable source. Aren`t there some pretty popular albums that were recorded to 4 track? Probably mastered after, but still.

Comment

Originally posted by redEL34 View Post

Well I certainly appreciate that! I have ONE I`m saving for..I don`t know. I have a working 4 track and I`m actually amazed at how good they really sounded, especially imported with some digital help. It`s damn near a preferable source. Aren`t there some pretty popular albums that were recorded to 4 track? Probably mastered after, but still.
              Recorded to 4 track CASSETTE? I believe Springsteen's "Nebraska" was recorded on a Tascam Portastudio 144. I'm sure there must have been many other "early" recordings by bands in the 80s done as such. But I think in all cases the results were pretty lo-fi.

Which isn't always a bad thing, depending on the music.

As far as a "preferable source"? well, I think you're probably just being nostalgic about the format. Not that there's anything wrong about that either.

But yeah, they were pretty damned good sounding at the time considering the options. To be able to do anything at home? That was crazy back then.

I had a deck back in the day that could record 8 tracks onto a cassette. I thought that sounded great, considering. I was just about to post a clip I have of a recording from that machine, but it didn't sound as good as I remembered, so maybe I shouldn't. Sound quality was actually pretty crappy. lol. Nostalgia does some crazy things to the brain!

But for a band trying to do work out their songs and come up with some decent demos? It was a godsend.

Comment

Recorded to 4 track CASSETTE? I believe Springsteen's "Nebraska" was recorded on a Tascam Portastudio 144. I'm sure there must have been many other "early" recordings by bands in the 80s done as such. But I think in all cases the results were pretty lo-fi.

Which isn't always a bad thing, depending on the music.

As far as a "preferable source"? well, I think you're probably just being nostalgic about the format. Not that there's anything wrong about that either.

But yeah, they were pretty damned good sounding at the time considering the options. To be able to do anything at home? That was crazy back then.

I had a deck back in the day that could record 8 tracks onto a cassette. I thought that sounded great, considering. I was just about to post a clip I have of a recording from that machine, but it didn't sound as good as I remembered, so maybe I shouldn't. Sound quality was actually pretty crappy. lol. Nostalgia does some crazy things to the brain!

But for a band trying to do work out their songs and come up with some decent demos? It was a godsend.
                Yeah, you`re probably right. I think there might be something in my Dropbox..If you take in in context of a 16 year old in 1989 it might not be so bad..

Comment

Sticks are cool. Especially for the car. Although I've gotten so much more used to just Blutoothing everything. Even my collection on my iPod has largely been outdated by the fact that so much of what I have I can stream from Amazon Prime. Why bother to look up an album or a song when I can just tell Alexa to play it?
                  Remember, we are the caveman people. No cell phone. Never had one, so no streaming. It is very liberating when you drive off. You free, to listen to 19 days worth of great music without interruption.

At home we listen to records.
                  Last edited by bildo; 05-15-2019, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Yeah, if your goal is to get it onto iPod, that's one step too many, for sure.

I've never used Audacity for ripping LPs, but how hard could it be? I use Sony Sound Forge, which is basically just set the levels, press "record" and let 'er rip. I would figure Audacity is pretty much the same. Of course, you have to input your turntable into your computer first. But that's simple enough.

I also use a really great program called "Click Repair" which gets rid of most all of any ticks and pops and surface noise you have on your LPs.
                    You can get plugins that will put all that stuff on your digital recordings for that vintage vibe.
                    The human species is an outcrop of this planet. The damage we do to this planet, we do to ourselves. It is in the hands of this generation to turn this disastrous situation around. ~Sadhguru

Comment

Those things are a bitch to repair. Dual plane board. Same as HHB and Fostex.
                      (The US will not survive the obama presidency. The world may not either.) Cuban Leaf

Comment

Working...
                      X