How Oxford and Peter Singer drove me from atheism to Jesus

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Oxford and Peter Singer drove me from atheism to Jesus

Article: How Oxford and Peter Singer drove me from atheism to Jesus

This is a fascinating article to me because his walk was so similar to mine. We both even became Christian at the same age. I considered myself an intellectual agnostic, and he considered himself an intellectual Atheist. I always thought only "stupid" people became Christians. I was a dumb kid, what can I say?

Anyway, it is a very useful read for those in the same boat the author (and I ) found ourselves in.
    EVERYTHING I type (i.e. not a link or video) is only my opinion. In a sane world, that should not have to be said. But then, we are not living in a sane world, are we?

"useful" in what manner?

As bias confirmation?

Seems to me that for anyone who has already travelled a path and is comfortable with their choices, that simply living their life should be plenty. What 'use' would there be in reading about someone else who once found themselves in the same boat?

I personally don't recall spending any time searching out stories from others who were in my same boat. Or even caring if there is even anyone else IN my boat with me. I've always been perfectly happy sailing alone.

You, on the other hand, seem to spend a lot of time searching out the opinions of others who have made the same choices you have. It also seems to me that a LOT of conservatives do this, hence the popularity of such blogs and YouTube videos among conservative circles.

Why do you suppose conservatives are always looking to have their biases confirmed by others?

Comment

I was a presumptuous, ill-informed, and vulnerable child myself. What can ya do?
      For those who prefer to listen rather than read and who ask these questions: What underlying crimes were being investigated when Trump obstructed justice? Why wasn't he indicted? Why did Mueller discuss indicting a sitting president in Volume II but not Volume I?
      https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Muell...ook/B07PXN468K

My (old dead) band!:
      www.steelphantoms.com/
      PM me if you want to give me a Deluxe US Strat with locking tuners and 22 frets for <$800. Fancy Strymon pedals welcome too!

Comment

Originally posted by guido61 View Post
        "useful" in what manner?

As bias confirmation?

Seems to me that for anyone who has already travelled a path and is comfortable with their choices, that simply living their life should be plenty. What 'use' would there be in reading about someone else who once found themselves in the same boat?

I personally don't recall spending any time searching out stories from others who were in my same boat. Or even caring if there is even anyone else IN my boat with me. I've always been perfectly happy sailing alone.

You, on the other hand, seem to spend a lot of time searching out the opinions of others who have made the same choices you have. It also seems to me that a LOT of conservatives do this, hence the popularity of such blogs and YouTube videos among conservative circles.

Why do you suppose conservatives are always looking to have their biases confirmed by others?
        Why are you here?
        EVERYTHING I type (i.e. not a link or video) is only my opinion. In a sane world, that should not have to be said. But then, we are not living in a sane world, are we?

Comment

Originally posted by Easy Listener View Post

Why are you here?
          I come to this forum to discuss and debate political and social issues of the day and like the camaraderie that comes with doing so with fellow musicians.

What I DON'T do is start thread after thread of nothing more than "oh look at this! I found someone on the internet who agrees with me!"

Why do you do that? Why do you think anyone here cares if someone else they've never heard of and isn't a member of this forum agrees with you or not?

Comment

I come to this forum to discuss and debate political and social issues of the day and like the camaraderie that comes with doing so with fellow musicians.

What I DON'T do is start thread after thread of nothing more than "oh look at this! I found someone on the internet who agrees with me!"

Why do you do that? Why do you think anyone here cares if someone else they've never heard of and isn't a member of this forum agrees with you or not?
            No. I mean why are you here in this thread? I'm an adult. I ignore threads in which I have nothing to argue about the content of the OP. And just impugning the op in general is not an argument.

Make of it what you will. Others may find the article interesting - and even compelling.
            Last edited by Easy Listener; 05-15-2019, 10:44 AM.

Comment

I think the Bible was pretty specific on this driving thing.

and they all came in one Accord.

Is This Thing On?

https://soundcloud.com/tom-hicks888

Comment

No. I mean why are you here in this thread? I'm an adult. I ignore threads in which I have nothing to argue about the content of the OP. And just impugning the op in general is not an argument.

Make of it what you will. Others may find the article interesting - and even compelling.
                There's nothing to discuss. Some guy used to be an atheist and is now a Christian. Fascinating.

I'm still curious as to why anyone would spend so much time posting threads that are nothing more than "look over here! I found someone on the internet who agrees with me!"

It's at LEAST as interesting a topic as some guy I've never met or even engaged with on the internet having once been an atheist but is now a Christian. Doncha think?
                Last edited by Vito Corleone; 05-15-2019, 10:53 AM.

Comment

There's nothing to discuss. Some guy used to be an atheist and is now a Christian. Fascinating.
                  Some woman, actually. I read the article because that kind of "conversion" fascinates me.

Conclusion - not only am I not "in the same boat" with the OP, we aren't even sailing the same ocean. The author's atheism was based on a series of pre-conceptions that I am not burdened with, so I found nothing in her experience to relate to.

Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

-- Vaclav Havel

The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

-- Carl Sagan

Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

I'm not taking the time to read yet another link but I assume she is one of the gifted ones (to put it nicely). I think it's people's brains that determine a persons faith, not things like Oxford or Peter Singer. Some people are predisposed to believe it, some are not.
                    And she wants attention. That's another trait that seems to go with faith.
                    George Washington was the man who never told a lie. Richard Nixon was the man who never told the truth. Donald Trump is the man who doesn't know the difference.
                    Venezuela is what happens when you have Trump without the Madison.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Ant View Post

Some woman, actually. I read the article because that kind of "conversion" fascinates me.

Conclusion - not only am I not "in the same boat" with the OP, we aren't even sailing the same ocean. The author's atheism was based on a series of pre-conceptions that I am not burdened with, so I found nothing in her experience to relate to.
                      Similarly, I began listening to Easy Listener's "Blue Collar Logic" video about "important insight into" how Trump defenders feel about Mueller. The first couple minutes offered nothing I did not already understand (zero new insight), and it offered a series of presumptions that were completely unrelatable to me and instead only confirmed thoughts from lots of leftwing pundits about how people identify with Trump and project themselves on him, making faith in Trump an element of their own identities. Will finish listening (maybe on lunch break walk) and respond to EL to better explain why his videos are not enlightening.
                      Last edited by arcadesonfire; 05-15-2019, 11:08 AM.
                      For those who prefer to listen rather than read and who ask these questions: What underlying crimes were being investigated when Trump obstructed justice? Why wasn't he indicted? Why did Mueller discuss indicting a sitting president in Volume II but not Volume I?
                      https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Muell...ook/B07PXN468K

My (old dead) band!:
                      www.steelphantoms.com/
                      PM me if you want to give me a Deluxe US Strat with locking tuners and 22 frets for <$800. Fancy Strymon pedals welcome too!

Comment

Originally posted by arcadesonfire View Post

Similarly, I began listening to Easy Listener's "Blue Collar Logic" video about "important insight into" how Trump defenders feel about Mueller. The first couple minutes offered nothing I did not already understand (zero new insight), and it offered a series of presumptions that were completely unrelatable to me and instead only confirmed thoughts from lots of leftwing pundits about how people identify with Trump and project themselves on him, making faith in Trump an element of their own identities. Will finish listening (maybe on lunch break walk) and respond to EL to better explain why his videos are not enlightening.
                        My observations have led me to conclude that EL is not actually concerned with "enlightening" anyone (despite his claims to the contrary). It seems to all be part and parcel to a smug "looking down at liberals" thing that he finds enjoying. I think he believes he is rubbing something into our face by coming to this forum and posting these opinion pieces and videos and apparently he gets a degree of self-satisfaction in doing so.

Just my take. I'd ask him to explain where and how I'm wrong, but I would have little expectation of getting a genuine or thoughtful response.

Comment

There's nothing to discuss.
                          Then why are you here?

Comment

Then why are you here?
                            To laugh at conservatives who have convinced themselves they are smarter than everyone else and exposing that fallacy for what it is.

Comment

To laugh at conservatives who have convinced themselves they are smarter than everyone else and exposing that fallacy for what it is.
                              So basically, the two of you are here for the same reason, the verbal equivalent of :

Click image for larger version

Name:	tenor.gif
Views:	1
Size:	522.6 KB
ID:	32519908

Lovely.
                              Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

-- Vaclav Havel

The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

-- Carl Sagan

Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

Working...
                              X