Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the odds that the Durham investigation is for real and will bring the bad actors to justice?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the odds that the Durham investigation is for real and will bring the bad actors to justice?

Article here: What are the odds that the Durham investigation is for real and will bring the bad actors to justice?

Folks, this is a really good read with excellent analysis. The core premise is along these lines (from the article):

“The bottom’s gonna fall out tomorrow,” and it never does. “Breaking news! Breaking news! Heads are gonna roll tomorrow,” and they never do. “Breaking news! Breaking news! Full operation exposed, details tomorrow morning,” whatever. Never happens.
    The article then goes on to offer some fascinating tidbits that support the argument that it might actually be different this time. An example:

The fact that this was kept secret so long, even in the face of this admission slipping out and remaining unnoticed, suggests that the Durham investigation – and maybe Huber’s too – is doing exactly what effective prosecutors do: keeping grand jury proceedings secret, applying pressure to witnesses to sing, maybe offering deals for lighter prosecution and sentence recommendations if they implicate higher-ups, and going for convictions by trial juries, not in the court of public opinion.

The very same James A. Baker, interestingly enough, is anticipating release of the Horowitz report, and conceding that the IG will find “mistakes.”
    Jimmy Carter gave us Reagan and Obama gave us Trump. It's instructional to note that our two worst presidents in my lifetime also gave us our two best presidents of my lifetime.

I think it will be a nothing-burger.

I think the President's behavior towards Russia and the behavior of many within his campaign regarding Russia was suspicious and warranted investigation. I would feel the same way if a Democrat candidate for President had acted in a similar fashion.

But if the investigation turns up unlawful behavior, I'll be happy to see it exposed and those who misbehaved brought to justice.

Maybe we can all just agree that Bush was stupid and Cheney was lying and call it a day. - guitarcapo

Originally posted by Grumpy_Polecat View Post
    For the record: Hitler using gas to exterminate his presumed enemies does not equal the use of chemical weapons.
    Reprehensible as it was, gassing was a conventional and accepted method for execution at the time. It is a stretch to equivocate the two.

Comment

Originally posted by E-money View Post

I think the President's behavior towards Russia and the behavior of many within his campaign regarding Russia was suspicious and warranted investigation. I would feel the same way if a Democrat candidate for President had acted in a similar fashion.

But if the investigation turns up unlawful behavior, I'll be happy to see it exposed and those who misbehaved brought to justice.
      I didn't think it was suspicious at all - and I was no fan at the time. I thought it was silly. Time did prove me right.

And I DID think the whole thing was suspicious. The claims against him, that is.
      Jimmy Carter gave us Reagan and Obama gave us Trump. It's instructional to note that our two worst presidents in my lifetime also gave us our two best presidents of my lifetime.

Comment

The Mueller report clearly shows the Trump Administration welcomed the interference from Russia on their behalf in the 2016 election.

when the Russians made their initial contacts and offers team Trump should have immediately notified the FBI.

of course it makes sense that those within the Trump bubble will not want to focus on this but rather want to focus on investigating the investigators.

cast suspicion elsewhere, muddy the waters, Poison the Well; use your own analogy for this weak sauce look over there campaign.

Is This Thing On?

https://soundcloud.com/tom-hicks888

Comment

I think the truth won't come out until the OP gets the truth he wants.
          George Washington was the man who never told a lie. Richard Nixon was the man who never told the truth. Donald Trump is the man who doesn't know the difference.
          Venezuela is what happens when you have Trump without the Madison.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Hicks View Post
            The Mueller report clearly shows the Trump Administration welcomed the interference from Russia on their behalf in the 2016 election.

when the Russians made their initial contacts and offers team Trump should have immediately notified the FBI.

of course it makes sense that those within the Trump bubble will not want to focus on this but rather want to focus on investigating the investigators.

cast suspicion elsewhere, muddy the waters, Poison the Well; use your own analogy for this weak sauce look over there campaign.
            Even taking that meeting at Trump tower was illegal because it's illegal to solicit information on a political opponent from a foreign source. So they got off easy, super easy - they walked...so far.

George Washington was the man who never told a lie. Richard Nixon was the man who never told the truth. Donald Trump is the man who doesn't know the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by E-money View Post

Yep. unlawful behavior by law enforcement is a dirty road we best stay off (not that we always do a good job of that).

Here's what will happen though.
              These investigators, under this partisan pressure, will need to find something. So they will return with something. That something will fall far short of the suspicions, however. It will be played up on Fox and played down on MSNBC. Nothing much will come of it. Eventually, another crisis will pop up and the cycle will be repeated.

Comment

You are still arguing that report?! HAHAHHAHA!

Comment

Originally posted by Easy Listener View Post

You are still arguing that report?! HAHAHHAHA!
                  Of course we reasonable folks can probably easily agree that the real standards for the results of Investigations are indictments and convictions.

using that metric the gold standard for National investigations are as follows:

Watergate

Iran Contra

Russiagate

Is This Thing On?

Comment

Of course we reasonable folks can probably easily agree that the real standards for the results of Investigations are indictments and convictions.

using that metric the gold standard for National investigations are as follows:

Watergate

Iran Contra

Russiagate
                    The real "Russiagate" is just ramping up, IMO.

Watch and learn how adults investigate a real crime.

Comment

You state:

Folks, this is a really good read with excellent analysis. The core premise is along these lines (from the article):
                      Then you add an excerpt from the opinion piece:

“The bottom’s gonna fall out tomorrow,” and it never does. “Breaking news! Breaking news! Heads are gonna roll tomorrow,” and they never do. “Breaking news! Breaking news! Full operation exposed, details tomorrow morning,” whatever. Never happens."

But here's an interesting thing- this excerpt is cut from a quote of Rush Limbaugh, contained in the opinion piece.

Let's unpack this a little more...

1. I don't know if it was intentional on your part, but it could be perceived as being a bit deceitful to not identify him as the actual source. Which, given the (IMO) pretty much universal acknowledgement that Limbaugh is nothing more than an entertainer, who has decided to cater to the hyper-partisan far right market, taints the credibility of these words.

2. But, even a blind squirrel will find an acorn now and then. So let's take it at face value- for years, the hyper-partisans on the far right have been waiting for heads to roll! Exposure of the full operation! And it never happens. Well, using the 9 or 10 congressional hearing on Benghazi as an example of this, it seems reasonable to conclude that the reasons heads don't roll and full exposure doesn't occur is, well, there's no factual basis.

So, I won't tell you not to get your hopes up, there, little fella. But history really isn't on your side.

Make of it what you will.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoot Owl View Post
                        Even taking that meeting at Trump tower was illegal because it's illegal to solicit information on a political opponent from a foreign source. So they got off easy, super easy - they walked...so far.
                        The focus of Mueller's inquiry was actually specifically Limited.

the people that Trump Administration and Fellow Travelers were talking to were not elected Russian government officials.

like the lady lawyer at the Trump Tower meeting.

or the red sparrow with the NRA.

I think the term of art for those type of intermediaries is to call them "cutouts".

Is This Thing On?

Comment

The real "Russiagate" is just ramping up, IMO.

Watch and learn how adults investigate a real crime.
                          The more proper name of that to which you refer would be Diversiongate.

or perhaps look over their gate.

Is This Thing On?

Comment

The focus of Mueller's inquiry was actually specifically Limited.

No, it wasn't. https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...t-goes/534525/

Lucky for the maid she had no pending shoplifting arrests.

Comment

The more proper name of that to which you refer would be Diversiongate.

or perhaps look over their gate.
                              That one was just completed. I'm talking about the one that just started.

Comment

Working...
                              X