Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prime8
    started a topic O/T: Sony MDR7506 headphones

O/T: Sony MDR7506 headphones

I've used several pairs of these for years now - decades actually. While not everyone's first preference, they are nevertheless the general go-to pick in my studio (and apparently in studios worldwide). They are also a very durable quality headphone.

However, they DO have some consumable parts (normal wear and tear items) that occasionally need replacement for general upkeep. The most commonly replaced component is the earpad(s). After time, the black "pleather" coating on the contact surfaces will begin to flake off and will soon completely peel away. The elastic bands built into the pads that keep them affixed to the headphones will generall fail shortly thereafter and the pads will easily fall off.

So, after contacting the Sony parts department and ordering replacement pads, the phones are once again comfortable and looking fresh.

However, after only a couple of years at the most, the same cycle of wear occurs and you go through the same routine.

This time around, I thought I would look online to find the best deal on replacement pads and lo and behold, their are now a few entrepreneurs offering aftermarket alternatives. I saw one vendor which offered a custom set using a genuine black lambskin leather outer layer which, if it is equally comfortable, would solve the flaking issues of the OEM varierty. I'm not really certain how compatible the fitment is by comparison to the factory one but I am nevertheless willing to try a pair.

Anyone else have similar headphone maintenence experiences?

• Phil O'Keefe
    replied
    Thank you Mr Furgison... I may just give a pair of those a try.

For those who are interested in replacement pads for Fostex T20's (the v2 version, not the MkII version), it seems that replacement AKG K 240 pads are supposed to fit... as will pads for the Shure SRH840's. The only apparently correct-sized Fostex pads I've been able to find are from Full Compass, and are nearly $21 - each. No way I'm gonna drop $42 for new pads... so I'm going to try some Shure SRH840 pads and see how they work. I'll try to remember to report back this weekend after they arrive.

Leave a comment:

• Turd Furgison
    replied
    Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

Do you remember where you got the velour replacement pads?

Thanks to this thread, I ordered a set of vinyl replacement pads for one pair of Sonys, and a new headband pad for a set of HD 280s... I'm still looking for a decent deal on replacement pads for my T20RP v2's (not the MKII or MKIII, which use oval rather than round pads), but so far the only place I can find them wants $20 per pad...

As long as I'm thinking about it, I should probably look to see if there's a more comfortable alternative for the stock Grado pads too...
    i don't remember where i bought mine, but looking around a bit, these at least look similar to the ones i have:

https://wickedcushions.com/products/...dr-7506-velour

$23 for the pair doesn't seem like a bad price, unless they overcharge for shipping.

Leave a comment:

• Phil O'Keefe
    replied
    Originally posted by Turd Furgison View Post

those look like great cans. my repadded sonys are going on 3 years and so far so good.
    Do you remember where you got the velour replacement pads?

Thanks to this thread, I ordered a set of vinyl replacement pads for one pair of Sonys, and a new headband pad for a set of HD 280s... I'm still looking for a decent deal on replacement pads for my T20RP v2's (not the MKII or MKIII, which use oval rather than round pads), but so far the only place I can find them wants $20 per pad...

As long as I'm thinking about it, I should probably look to see if there's a more comfortable alternative for the stock Grado pads too...

Leave a comment:

• Turd Furgison
    replied

I really like the Focal Listen Professional headphones, and they have microfiber / velour covers on the ear pads stock. I've been using them for almost a year now as my main "mobile cans", and the pads still look practically new. Only time will tell how well they'll hold up vs. vinyl, but so far, so good. I was concerned they'd start showing dirt and / or lint (since the pads are red) but that hasn't really been an issue yet either.
    those look like great cans. my repadded sonys are going on 3 years and so far so good.

Leave a comment:

• Phil O'Keefe
    replied
    Originally posted by Prime8 View Post

One of my biggest gripes with the black "pleather" material that Sony uses on their headphone pads is that once it begins to deteriorate, it flakes off and sticks to your skin and clothing which is rather unsightly.
    Yup. But Sony's not alone in that respect - I am currently having the exact same issue with the padded headband on a pair of HD 280s. The ear pads are still in good shape, but I wind up with black flakes on top of my head whenever I wear them.

I will admit that it is a supple and comfortable texture when it is new, but surely there must be better materials that won't disintegrate that way. Which is why I expressed interest in trying out some lambskin aftermarket replacements.
    I've never tried lambskin ear pads. I imagine they'd be really comfortable - especially if they're covering a decent grade of memory foam. If you do give some a try, please tell us where you found them and what your impressions are. I'd be interested to learn more about them, and hear your thoughts about them.

Leave a comment:

• Phil O'Keefe
    replied
    Originally posted by Etienne Rambert View Post

HD-380's are better for acoustic guitars. In my experience - better clarity, definition & separation.
    How's the isolation - is it in the same ballpark as the HD 280's?

I think the HD 380 has been discontinued now, and was replaced with the HD 300 IIRC...

Otherwise, 280's are still reliable standards. They are dull but a good reference.
    I think they're a really good choice for tracking cans. Really good isolation, fairly durable, and you can get parts for them to keep them in service longer. Plus they're not all that expensive to begin with, so buying a few new pairs at once for the studio stings a bit less.

MDR 7506's & HD280's are my go-to sets for mixing.
    I could probably mix on either, but I don't think I'd like it very much. I'm not big on mixing with cans - at least not exclusively. I use them more to spot-check, to seek out and destroy little hidden sonic gremlins, and to make sure a mix is going to translate decently on a variety of playback setups, but I do the vast majority of my monitoring on my ADAMs. While I have pairs of both the MDR 7506 (which are great for when the singer wants a brighter sounding set of cans IMHO) and HD 280s (as well as other headphones), I tend to use my KRK KNS 8400's and Grado SR125i's more often than other cans for my studio mix referencing / mix monitoring / spot checking. The Grados are less comfortable, but a bit more accurate. They have zero isolation though, and the KRK's are much better in that respect, especially if you need to also use them for tracking.

Leave a comment:

• Prime8
    replied

I really like the Focal Listen Professional headphones, and they have microfiber / velour covers on the ear pads stock. I've been using them for almost a year now as my main "mobile cans", and the pads still look practically new. Only time will tell how well they'll hold up vs. vinyl, but so far, so good. I was concerned they'd start showing dirt and / or lint (since the pads are red) but that hasn't really been an issue yet either.
    One of my biggest gripes with the black "pleather" material that Sony uses on their headphone pads is that once it begins to deteriorate, it flakes off and sticks to your skin and clothing which is rather unsightly. I will admit that it is a supple and comfortable texture when it is new, but surely there must be better materials that won't disintegrate that way. Which is why I expressed interest in trying out some lambskin aftermarket replacements.

Leave a comment:

• Phil O'Keefe
    replied
    Originally posted by Turd Furgison View Post
    i have made the switch to the velour replacement pads for my sonys. they change the sound some, but after a little while using them you get used to it.

Leave a comment:

• Turd Furgison
    replied
    i have made the switch to the velour replacement pads for my sonys. they change the sound some, but after a little while using them you get used to it.

Leave a comment:

• Etienne Rambert
    replied

Very cool - thanks for the link!

My set of HD280’s is going to need a new set of pads soon too.

How do you like the HD380’s? How do they compare with the 280’s?
    HD-380's are better for acoustic guitars. In my experience - better clarity, definition & separation.

Otherwise, 280's are still reliable standards. They are dull but a good reference.

MDR 7506's & HD280's are my go-to sets for mixing.
    Last edited by Etienne Rambert; 05-16-2019, 12:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Alndln3
    replied
    Originally posted by Zipperhead View Post
    I use the Sonys.

Some freakin drummer usually steps on them before the pads wear out.

Zip
    Which I've done myself a couple of times. I have them both in plastic baggies that I was thinking or repairing but I never seem to get around to it and just keep buying more.

Leave a comment:

• Prime8
    replied
    Well, now I'm not so sure about the sheepskin leather covered pads as it appears these may only be available in Europe (the site shows a contact phone number in Spain).

Was hoping these would be a domestically-sourced item. I have no quarrel with them being made in Europe but I would prefer it if they had a distributor for these stateside.

Nevertheless, here's the link which initially piqued my interest:

http://www.camstorepro.com/sony-mdr-...-case-kit.html

Leave a comment:

• Phil O'Keefe
    replied
    Originally posted by Etienne Rambert View Post
    I have 2 sets of MDR 7506's. I use one for traveling and 1 for home studio work.

No problem w/ ear pads yet. I have found a neat after-market case for it though. It's pretty cheap too.
    Very cool - thanks for the link!

I have had problems w/ Sennheiser pads though. Fortunately, HD280 pads are readily available and
    I have a newish set of HD380's.
    My set of HD280’s is going to need a new set of pads soon too.

How do you like the HD380’s? How do they compare with the 280’s?

Leave a comment:

• Zipperhead
    replied
    I use the Sonys.

Some freakin drummer usually steps on them before the pads wear out.

Zip

Leave a comment:

Working...
X