Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alabama wants to go to the SCOTUS (abortion ban passed)

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by arcadesonfire View Post

I might seem conservative on some issues to my younger hipster skinny-jeaned Brooklyn brethren!
    I remember the 70’s when everybody wore skin tight jeans/cords.

Those same people constantly criticize the skinny jeans people now. Weird.

Comment

• Originally posted by stratosaurus View Post

Has Aikin explained what he meant?
      Akin is a moron. Expecting him to make sense is a fools errand.

Comment

• Originally posted by Opposite Day View Post

I always thought it was a corollary of the idea that a woman is more likely to conceive under conditions of minimal stress. I don't know empirically whether that's true. But I don't think it would freak people out to suggest such a thing. Obviously still a massive overstatement at best.
        Actually it’s the opposite.

Comment

I saw the clip of him discussing it last night. Seems he was making a very pragmatic statement about how this law would not make it to the SCOTUS and would hence would not accomplish the goal of challenging Roe. Seems like something the Alabama legislature really should have considered if they wanted to take a strategic approach.
          Expecting the Alabama Legislature to be capable of effective strategic thinking is asking far too much.

Comment

• Originally posted by guido61 View Post

Really? I saw pretty much what I expected. The southern states oppose abortion generally. The rest of country; not so much.

And these polls don't break it down to let us know what they think of a law THIS draconian. "should be illegal in most/all circumstances" includes those who want the exceptions for rape and incest.

Only 14% nationwide would likely support this law. While I'm sure it's higher in Alabama, could it really be above 50%?
            Have you been to Alabama? Parts of it are quite beautiful and if you engage the locals in very light conversation they seem quite nice. Go any deeper though and it’s horrifying.
            You could not pay me enough to live anywhere in the Deep South.
            Last edited by powbob01; 05-16-2019, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Crazy thing: Georgia’s proposed ban stipulates that women who cross state lines for an abortion would be criminally penalized when returning to Georgia. So much for state sovereignty and freedom of passage.
              The penalty for actually murdering a child would be far lighter than for a doctor performing an abortion.

Comment

• Originally posted by powbob01 View Post

Have you been to Alabama? Parts of it are quite beautiful and if you engage the locals in very light conversation they seem quite. Nice. Go any deeper though and it’s horrifying.
                You could not pay me enough to live anywhere in the Deep South.
                I live four miles from the Ala state line. An often equally scary and amusing place. I could write a book, but I digress.
                Last edited by panhandler; 05-16-2019, 02:55 PM.
                tRump is NO star player. The ball simply bounced in his direction.

Comment

The penalty for actually murdering a child would be far lighter than for a doctor performing an abortion.
                  Maybe they'll start birthing and then killing them to keep the prison sentence down.
                  tRump is NO star player. The ball simply bounced in his direction.

Comment

• Originally posted by guido61 View Post
                    Any reports on how the people of Alabama feel about this law? Does it have broad support there?
                    Here's an article from The Alabama Political Reporter (which bills itself the Voice of Alabama Politics):

https://www.alreporter.com/2019/05/1...-this-its-not/

I’m sick of hearing that “Alabama is better than this.” Or that “the good people of Alabama won’t stand for this.”

It’s not and they do. All the time.

It’s time to face the facts. It’s not the Legislature. It’s not the governor. It’s not Alabama’s politicians.
                    It’s the voters. The people.

They’re the problem in this state.

Comment

• Originally posted by TCM View Post

Here's an article from The Alabama Political Reporter (which bills itself the Voice of Alabama Politics):

https://www.alreporter.com/2019/05/1...-this-its-not/

I’m sick of hearing that “Alabama is better than this.” Or that “the good people of Alabama won’t stand for this.”

It’s not and they do. All the time.

It’s time to face the facts. It’s not the Legislature. It’s not the governor. It’s not Alabama’s politicians.
                      It’s the voters. The people.

They’re the problem in this state.
                      Talibama.
                      Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

-- Vaclav Havel

The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

-- Carl Sagan

Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

• Talibangelicals

Comment

• IMO it's forcing "christian values" on people. I think there will be backlash against Christians. The Alabama law is stupid and near-sighted.
                          Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.

Comment

• Originally posted by erok123 View Post
                            IMO it's forcing "christian values" on people. I think there will be backlash against Christians. The Alabama law is stupid and near-sighted.
                            It DOES seem to be kind of a Christian thing, I hate to say.

I know a lot of people who are anti-abortion. But it's only the hardcore Christians I know who think it should be codified into law and other people who don't agree with them be forced to comply. Most everyone else I know who is anti-abortion (including most Catholics) believe it's a choice.

Comment

Akin is a moron. Expecting him to make sense is a fools errand.
                              There are a few people, in this thread, that seem to think he makes enough sense, that they are able to interpret what he said.
                              Is that the fools errand that you talking about?
                              ''All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"--Edmund Burke
                              Man created science to create what man wants science to create.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fred Fartboski View Post

Oh well. I guess it's back to the rusty coat hangars in dark alleys method.
                                Perhaps the Christians will pray to their imaginary friend and everything will come out okay.
                                "Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has." - Martin Luther

Comment

Working...
                                X