Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alabama wants to go to the SCOTUS (abortion ban passed)

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by guido61 View Post

    Really? That sounds unconstitutional as hell too.

    I've been hearing talk about an expected development of an "abortion tourism" industry if these state laws take effect. Although it's hard for me to imagine that most poor women could afford to do such things. But I guess if you live in Alabama a drive over to Florida isn't that big a deal?
    Not a terrible stretch for someone going from Mobile to Pensacola although if you were making the drive from Huntsville, it would take you a substantial part of your day just to get to the nearest part of the Florida line.
    Originally posted by GTRMAN;n31424311

    The hijacking of the Republican party by the religious right really did send the party into a tailspin of fundamentalism and black/white politics. It's really scary how it transformed the party.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by guido61 View Post

      Really? That sounds unconstitutional as hell too.

      I've been hearing talk about an expected development of an "abortion tourism" industry if these state laws take effect. Although it's hard for me to imagine that most poor women could afford to do such things. But I guess if you live in Alabama a drive over to Florida isn't that big a deal?
      It may not be legal to go to another state for purposes of getting an abortion under these new laws. I don't think anybody knows yet. It's analogous to transporting a minor person across state lines for the purpose of doing something that would be illegal in your home state.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Zooey View Post

        It may not be legal to go to another state for purposes of getting an abortion under these new laws. I don't think anybody knows yet. It's analogous to transporting a minor person across state lines for the purpose of doing something that would be illegal in your home state.
        A very old joke I heard years ago had as its punchline - transporting gulls across a staid lion for immortal porpoises.
        __________________________________________________

        Is This Thing On?

        https://soundcloud.com/tom-hicks888

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Zooey View Post

          It may not be legal to go to another state for purposes of getting an abortion under these new laws. I don't think anybody knows yet. It's analogous to transporting a minor person across state lines for the purpose of doing something that would be illegal in your home state.
          it's always different when you talk about minors. And I could see if we are talking about a 15 year old girl or something. Especially if someone older is assisting her with it.

          But as far as adults go? I've never heard of such things. That would be like saying I couldn't have been 19 and gone to another state to drink legally there because the drinking age was 21 back home.

          But I guess the bottom line might be "how would they know?". Unless someone reports to the authorities that she went out of state to get an abortion, how is the state of Georgia going to know what someone does when they go to Florida?

          Sounds like more BS they just want to throw into the law KNOWING it will be challenged so they can try and get Roe overturned.

          Talk about "agenda!"

          Comment


          • The Ohio bill makes it illegal for a PRIVATE insurance company to cover an abortion.

            https://radio.wosu.org/post/new-ohio...rtion#stream/0

            Republicans always want the government to stop meddling in the affairs of private businesses. Until they don't.
            Last edited by BA.Barcolounger; 05-16-2019, 01:23 PM.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by guido61 View Post
              But I guess the bottom line might be "how would they know?". Unless someone reports to the authorities that she went out of state to get an abortion, how is the state of Georgia going to know what someone does when they go to Florida?
              Because the Republican Vagina Police would know. If they could, they would put RFID chips in every cooter.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by guido61 View Post

                it's always different when you talk about minors. And I could see if we are talking about a 15 year old girl or something. Especially if someone older is assisting her with it.

                But as far as adults go? I've never heard of such things. That would be like saying I couldn't have been 19 and gone to another state to drink legally there because the drinking age was 21 back home.
                The "minor person" under Alabama law would be the fetus, specifically recognized as a person under the state constitution (and I think they claim the US constitution as well). You're right, Alabama may not know about it. However, it would be a crime to take a person outside of the state for purposes of doing something that would be a crime in Alabama.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by BA.Barcolounger View Post

                  Because the Republican Vagina Police would know. If they could, they would put RFID chips in every cooter.
                  And, of course, these are most often the same people who complain about how many babies poor minority girls pop out, especially if any of them dare end up on food stamps.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Tom Hicks View Post

                    A very old joke I heard years ago had as its punchline - transporting gulls across a staid lion for immortal porpoises.
                    There's a version that's transporting mynahs for ill eagle porpoises. Terrible puns.

                    That joke is about the Mann Act, which wouldn't apply here, but it's an example of the type of law I'm thinking about. Georgia's law specifically prohibits leaving the state for purposes of procuring an abortion.

                    Alabama's law is weird, because they only punish the abortion provider and not the mother.

                    The fact that Alabama doesn't punish the mother indicates that they don't really believe that the unborn are persons. It just doesn't make any logical sense. It's like having a loophole in the law where you can escape liability for murder by hiring a hit man.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by arcadesonfire View Post

                      I might seem conservative on some issues to my younger hipster skinny-jeaned Brooklyn brethren!
                      I remember the 70’s when everybody wore skin tight jeans/cords.

                      Those same people constantly criticize the skinny jeans people now. Weird.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by stratosaurus View Post

                        Has Aikin explained what he meant?
                        Akin is a moron. Expecting him to make sense is a fools errand.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Opposite Day View Post

                          I always thought it was a corollary of the idea that a woman is more likely to conceive under conditions of minimal stress. I don't know empirically whether that's true. But I don't think it would freak people out to suggest such a thing. Obviously still a massive overstatement at best.
                          Actually it’s the opposite.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by arcadesonfire View Post

                            I saw the clip of him discussing it last night. Seems he was making a very pragmatic statement about how this law would not make it to the SCOTUS and would hence would not accomplish the goal of challenging Roe. Seems like something the Alabama legislature really should have considered if they wanted to take a strategic approach.
                            Expecting the Alabama Legislature to be capable of effective strategic thinking is asking far too much.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by guido61 View Post

                              Really? I saw pretty much what I expected. The southern states oppose abortion generally. The rest of country; not so much.

                              And these polls don't break it down to let us know what they think of a law THIS draconian. "should be illegal in most/all circumstances" includes those who want the exceptions for rape and incest.

                              Only 14% nationwide would likely support this law. While I'm sure it's higher in Alabama, could it really be above 50%?
                              Have you been to Alabama? Parts of it are quite beautiful and if you engage the locals in very light conversation they seem quite nice. Go any deeper though and it’s horrifying.
                              You could not pay me enough to live anywhere in the Deep South.
                              Last edited by powbob01; 05-16-2019, 04:15 PM.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by arcadesonfire View Post
                                Crazy thing: Georgia’s proposed ban stipulates that women who cross state lines for an abortion would be criminally penalized when returning to Georgia. So much for state sovereignty and freedom of passage.
                                The penalty for actually murdering a child would be far lighter than for a doctor performing an abortion.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X