Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alabama wants to go to the SCOTUS (abortion ban passed)

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Easy Listener View Post

I insulted nobody. I stated:

"Do you know what was meant by "legitimate rape" when that statement was made? If you don't, you either know English as a second language or you are an idiot."

I stand by the statement. Anyone who heard or read the actual comment, understands the use of English in the US with the mind of an adult that has spoken US English within the culture here knows what he meant by "legitimate rape". And if they don't, then they truly are mentally challenged - either due to an abnormally low IQ or utter blindness due to strong bias for or against a thing.

I feel like Candice Owens when she was accused of insulting a congressman. i.e. "That's not what I said. That's not what I said at all."
    I get you though.

I often feel like Candace Owens when I challenge others to a debate and they refuse to even show up.

Comment

Even the very conservative televangelist Pat Robertson has gone on the record by saying that Alabama has gone too far with their new abortion law:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa...amp/3690680002
      Originally posted by GTRMAN;n31424311

The hijacking of the Republican party by the religious right really did send the party into a tailspin of fundamentalism and black/white politics. It's really scary how it transformed the party.

Comment

Originally posted by Prime8 View Post
        Even the very conservative televangelist Pat Robertson has gone on the record by saying that Alabama has gone too far with their new abortion law:

Well, this is ALL about trying to get the SCOTUS to overturn, or at least roll back Roe. They purposely made the law so extreme that it will go to the courts. They KNOW it is unconstitutional under present legal rulings.

I believe Robertson's concern is that if this is the law that makes it to SCOTUS that it's less likely to have the result they want as it goes so far it will be easier for the court to dismiss or rule unconstitutional.

He may be correct. The laws that have a better chance of standing up with the current SCOTUS are the ones that try to restrict abortion by coming up with all these silly hoops for the doctors and clinics to jump through.
        Last edited by Vito Corleone; 05-16-2019, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinbergerHack

Sometimes they just send their kid sister.....
          or kid brother as the case may be.

Comment

Small government conservatives.

Comment

Originally posted by BA.Barcolounger View Post
              Small government conservatives.
              A government so small it can slip right into your va-jay-jay.

Flag a Post
              The Report has been sent.
              [OK]

Comment

Kinda makes me wonder if this might be the first volley that Alabama fires across the bow before outright secession!
                Originally posted by GTRMAN;n31424311

The hijacking of the Republican party by the religious right really did send the party into a tailspin of fundamentalism and black/white politics. It's really scary how it transformed the party.

Comment

Originally posted by Prime8 View Post

I saw the clip of him discussing it last night. Seems he was making a very pragmatic statement about how this law would not make it to the SCOTUS and would hence would not accomplish the goal of challenging Roe. Seems like something the Alabama legislature really should have considered if they wanted to take a strategic approach.
                  For those who prefer to listen rather than read and who ask these questions: What underlying crimes were being investigated when Trump obstructed justice? Why wasn't he indicted? Why did Mueller discuss indicting a sitting president in Volume II but not Volume I?
                  https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Muell...ook/B07PXN468K

My (old dead) band!:
                  www.steelphantoms.com/
                  PM me if you want to give me a Deluxe US Strat with locking tuners and 22 frets for <$800. Fancy Strymon pedals welcome too!

Comment

Any reports on how the people of Alabama feel about this law? Does it have broad support there?

Comment

• Originally posted by Easy Listener View Post

I insulted nobody. I stated:

"Do you know what was meant by "legitimate rape" when that statement was made? If you don't, you either know English as a second language or you are an idiot."

I stand by the statement. Anyone who heard or read the actual comment, understands the use of English in the US with the mind of an adult that has spoken US English within the culture here knows what he meant by "legitimate rape". And if they don't, then they truly are mentally challenged - either due to an abnormally low IQ or utter blindness due to strong bias for or against a thing.

I feel like Candice Owens when she was accused of insulting a congressman. i.e. "That's not what I said. That's not what I said at all."
                      Well it was baffling to me (and probably the others) that you would think we misunderstood "legitimate rape" and would question our literacy. Why did you think any of us could have misunderstood that part of the statement when the controversial element of Aikin's statement was the combination of "if it's rape" PLUS "the female body can prevent pregnancy"? Through this combination of elements, Aikin's words suggested that women who get pregnant almost always (or always) get pregnant by consensual sex rather than rape.

I think that instead of chastising us and suggesting we might be less than illiterate, you could have asked us what we found offensive in Aikin's words. If you ever feel like I chastise you rather than asking to understand your perspective, let me know and I'll try to get back to question-asking mode rather than finger-pointing mode. Pardon me for being on a high horse.
                      Last edited by arcadesonfire; 05-16-2019, 11:48 AM.
                      For those who prefer to listen rather than read and who ask these questions: What underlying crimes were being investigated when Trump obstructed justice? Why wasn't he indicted? Why did Mueller discuss indicting a sitting president in Volume II but not Volume I?

My (old dead) band!:
                      www.steelphantoms.com/
                      PM me if you want to give me a Deluxe US Strat with locking tuners and 22 frets for <$800. Fancy Strymon pedals welcome too!

Comment

• Originally posted by guido61 View Post
                        Any reports on how the people of Alabama feel about this law? Does it have broad support there?
                        I tried to calm myself last night by looking at polling stats.... Umm, it wasn't calming. Pew Forum shows Alabama at 58% think abortion should be illegal in most/all circumstances, and only 37% think it should be legal. https://www.pewforum.org/religious-l...tion/by/state/

For the nation as a whole, if we go state by state (and forget the fact that most of the largest-pop. states are liberal), the numbers are quite worrisome.

So I'll try to calm myself by reading Nede's and Anton's posts about how the SCOTUS won't overturn Roe.

My (old dead) band!:
                        www.steelphantoms.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by arcadesonfire View Post
                          (abortion ban passed)
                          Oh well. I guess it's back to the rusty coat hangars in dark alleys method.
                          Last edited by Fred Fartboski; 05-16-2019, 11:58 AM.
                          Last edited by Fred Fartboski : Today at...

Comment

I tried to calm myself last night by looking at polling stats.... Umm, it wasn't calming. Pew Forum shows Alabama at 58% think abortion should be illegal in most/all circumstances, and only 37% think it should be legal. https://www.pewforum.org/religious-l...tion/by/state/

For the nation as a whole, if we go state by state (and forget the fact that most of the largest-pop. states are liberal), the numbers are quite worrisome.

So I'll try to calm myself by reading Nede's and Anton's posts about how the SCOTUS won't overturn Roe.
                            Really? I saw pretty much what I expected. The southern states oppose abortion generally. The rest of country; not so much.

And these polls don't break it down to let us know what they think of a law THIS draconian. "should be illegal in most/all circumstances" includes those who want the exceptions for rape and incest.

Only 14% nationwide would likely support this law. While I'm sure it's higher in Alabama, could it really be above 50%?
                            Last edited by Vito Corleone; 05-16-2019, 12:03 PM.

Comment

• Crazy thing: Georgia’s proposed ban stipulates that women who cross state lines for an abortion would be criminally penalized when returning to Georgia. So much for state sovereignty and freedom of passage.

My (old dead) band!:
                              www.steelphantoms.com/

Comment

Crazy thing: Georgia’s proposed ban stipulates that women who cross state lines for an abortion would be criminally penalized when returning to Georgia. So much for state sovereignty and freedom of passage.
                                Really? That sounds unconstitutional as hell too.

I've been hearing talk about an expected development of an "abortion tourism" industry if these state laws take effect. Although it's hard for me to imagine that most poor women could afford to do such things. But I guess if you live in Alabama a drive over to Florida isn't that big a deal?

Comment

Working...
                                X